Is group MF culling still in fashion?

Because I have a Templar that beat Malachai on Merciless in Prophecy and my intention is to turn him into a magic finder similar to this build. On the other hand, I heard last season that group magic finding wasn't as popular and that solo MF Marauders have become more popular since then (especially with their chieftain ascendancy). Is this still the case in Prophecy?

On top of that, even though I got lucky enough to stumble upon an exalted orb while leveling (might save that to trade for a Kaom's Heart), I'm out of chromatic orbs and don't have too many jeweler's orbs nor an especially large stockpile of alteration orbs to exchange for chromatics from vendors (which I'm not entirely sure is the best source for chromatics atm). This means I'm in trouble for getting enough chromatics to use Vorici's bench to make it easy to have the socket colors I need in the gear I want to use.

One more thing is that I've never done any group play in PoE. While I don't think I'd slip up TOO bad, not having any experience with grouping means I still could.

With all of that said, my questions are:

How popular are group magic find cullers recently? Are they out of style?

Is there an easy way to deal with having the wrong socket colors in gear you want to use? Example: there's a perfect roll item listed on poe.trade you really want and can afford, but the socket colors are wrong. Would, for example, temporarily not using the gems you had in the item it would replace be acceptable? Any other way to deal with bad socket colors aside from reforging them or finding another item with a similar socket setup to compensate (example: switching from a helmet with socket setup A and boots with socket setup B to a helmet with socket setup B and vice versa for boots)?

Aside from using a loot filter to find items that qualify for the chromatic orb vendor recipe, what's the best way to get chromatic orbs?

How reliable is throwing single chromatic orbs onto an item in hopes of getting the colors you need? Do some items have issues getting certain socket colors (such as green sockets on a ES/armor helmet)?

What's the gameplay gap going from soloing to group culling/grouping in general (especially mapping with a group)? What about in my case (I beat Malachai on merciless during perandus and this league; both on softcore, both as a flame totem heirophant).

Off Topic Question: what's the big differences between soft and hard core (meaning other than heavy losses if/when you die).
Last bumped on Jul 28, 2016, 7:43:45 AM
I dont follow fashion news but Id say that the current fashion is insta-killing all but the bosses

Which means that the MF culler would be useful on the toughest enemies only, but you dont need dedicated character for that. magic/rare/weaker unique are killed very fast and often with hits that deal more than 10% of their life, so even if you hit super fast, youd not get the cull

I think that classical MF cullers will not be much popular again, unless GGG change the balance of powers completely. But it is more likely that the power creep trend will continue

IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Jul 26, 2016, 9:53:31 AM
"
Setho996 wrote:

I've seen some boss culling done here and there, ghostbusting is also still going on. But the main question is, what's your solution for culling when top tier builds instagib entire screens of monsters on 6 player hp? People nowadays tend to focus on increasing their income through clear speed.
If you have to slow down considerably for cullers to be effective, most players who like to optimize will say it's probably not worth it.

"
Setho996 wrote:
Off Topic Question: what's the big differences between soft and hard core (meaning other than heavy losses if/when you die).

Other than that, there are economic differences. Easier to sell leveling/entry level mapping gear, harder to find specific top tier gear (which can be limiting on your build choices).

"
Setho996 wrote:
Aside from using a loot filter to find items that qualify for the chromatic orb vendor recipe, what's the best way to get chromatic orbs?

Probably Arcanist Strongboxes, but in general there are no additional tricks, you just pick up chrom items or buy them from other players.

"
Setho996 wrote:
How reliable is throwing single chromatic orbs onto an item in hopes of getting the colors you need? Do some items have issues getting certain socket colors (such as green sockets on a ES/armor helmet)?

Chances of getting socket colors are a function of the item's stat requirements.
You can use this calculator for an estimate.

"
Zed_ wrote:

"
Setho996 wrote:

Other than that, there are economic differences. Easier to sell leveling/entry level mapping gear, harder to find specific top tier gear (which can be limiting on your build choices).

Id also add that the need of avoiding death at all cost is also limiting the build choices. You want to invest more in defenses across the board. Also some builds can be very interesting and fun, working well, but the occasional death can be very hard to avoid
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Setho996 wrote:
Because I have a Templar that beat Malachai on Merciless in Prophecy and my intention is to turn him into a magic finder similar to this build. On the other hand, I heard last season that group magic finding wasn't as popular and that solo MF Marauders have become more popular since then (especially with their chieftain ascendancy). Is this still the case in Prophecy?

On top of that, even though I got lucky enough to stumble upon an exalted orb while leveling (might save that to trade for a Kaom's Heart), I'm out of chromatic orbs and don't have too many jeweler's orbs nor an especially large stockpile of alteration orbs to exchange for chromatics from vendors (which I'm not entirely sure is the best source for chromatics atm). This means I'm in trouble for getting enough chromatics to use Vorici's bench to make it easy to have the socket colors I need in the gear I want to use.

One more thing is that I've never done any group play in PoE. While I don't think I'd slip up TOO bad, not having any experience with grouping means I still could.

With all of that said, my questions are:

Is there an easy way to deal with having the wrong socket colors in gear you want to use? Example: there's a perfect roll item listed on poe.trade you really want and can afford, but the socket colors are wrong. Would, for example, temporarily not using the gems you had in the item it would replace be acceptable? Any other way to deal with bad socket colors aside from reforging them or finding another item with a similar socket setup to compensate (example: switching from a helmet with socket setup A and boots with socket setup B to a helmet with socket setup B and vice versa for boots)?

What's the gameplay gap going from soloing to group culling/grouping in general (especially mapping with a group)? What about in my case (I beat Malachai on merciless during perandus and this league; both on softcore, both as a flame totem heirophant).

Mf culler works fine if you are doing it with people you know or in a guild group. If you mean for public play it won't work. People will join with dischargers and crit builds and ruin everything.

I don't understand what you need so many chroms for? Doesn't take many to set the right colours for a build. Sounds like you are trying to get 5 red on a es chest or something silly. Sell the exalt for chroms then if you are desperate.

Check every vendor every level for chromatic items.
Last edited by kompaniet on Jul 26, 2016, 10:51:54 AM
"
Ludvator wrote:
I dont follow fashion news but Id say that the current fashion is insta-killing all but the bosses

Which means that the MF culler would be useful on the toughest enemies only, but you dont need dedicated character for that. magic/rare/weaker unique are killed very fast and often with hits that deal more than 10% of their life, so even if you hit super fast, youd not get the cull

I think that classical MF cullers will not be much popular again, unless GGG change the balance of powers completely. But it is more likely that the power creep trend will continue

How soon do builds reach the point where they can instantly kill virtually anything? If it happens as early as the 70s, I guess I might as well work on that ancestral warchief + earthquake hierophant I've been thinking about, or a guardian auramancer if those are popular.

"
kompaniet wrote:

I don't understand what you need so many chroms for? Doesn't take many to set the right colours for a build. Sounds like you are trying to get 5 red on a es chest or something silly. Sell the exalt for chroms then if you are desperate.

I probably did do a "something silly" sort of thing, because I remember trying to Vorici craft at least one 4 socket item multiple times because the forth socket wasn't perfect. It ate up my chromatic/jeweler's orbs lightning fast. It would be nice to have an extreme number of chromatics for getting the right sockets on even the wrong items, but I'm pretty sure I'd best hold onto my exault for bigger trades.
I see. We have all done that and been there :)
the answer is no.

the days of your dedicated 400 iir 150 iiq cullers is dead.

right now magic finding has two forms . ghost busting (which shits all over regular culling)

or throwing some rarity gear on your fast clearer.

a bow build with say reach of the council that plops on say 30 - 40 iiq and 50 - 100 item rarity will find far more than a 400 iir 150 culler.

another thing to consider is that most people ... hate playing with other people. This has been a core issue for a long time now. apart from splitting the cost of rolling high maps (which is not that important currently since t9- 10 maps are dirt cheap and offer the best exp per hour) and maybe just because you are bored and want to show off your build there isnt actually and good reason to group.

MF is dead and not a great loss considering 99.9% of rares are vendor fodder and unique have diminished so much in value.

IIQ stacking to get some 6 sockets/orbs is generally more efficient in the long run.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info