I kinda did something

Okay so lets get this straight, I know I shouldnt have done this. Okay? Fine.
Im sure most of you know Lifting's Freeze Arc Inq. Fun build, isnt it?
Well I got my hands on a Sire of Shards and thought "Why not do this with spark?"
71 Levels later I wouldnt even call that a bad idea, I simply should have tried thinking before I start.
The build itself works fine. Damage is okay, Im a bit squishy but my lifepool isnt that big yet. Ill get there.
What really bothers me is the lack of crit. Sire of Shards has 6,40 base crit so its 0.20 worse than a dagger. Its 2H so i loose the potential shield slot which means bye bye to spell crit on my gear.
ringslot 2 could be diamond but I havent seen one that provides enough resists to stay capped.
Sure, I could go Augury of Penitence in Merc Lab and get a bit of resists but that wont be much.
By lvl 80 I shouldve picked up another Power Charge from the tree but all in all I cant see how on earth
I can get enough critchance to deal the amount of damage Im aiming for.

And while Im at it, there is an idea flying through my head and I need your opinions on that.
Sure, its a gimmick and not useful at all but just think about it.
With only a few points I could get blunt trauma for more crit and drop maligaros for empires grasp.
The result would probably kill me but it might be hilarious. Should I try this?
Last bumped on Jul 25, 2016, 6:02:07 PM
staff's 6.4% crit chance is irrelevant for spells unless its all about CoC.

I had some silly idea about sire of shards. It was slowed ball lightning at ~25% proj speed (slower projectiles 50% less and enchant 45% reduce speed) and totems with empire's grasp, it should attract mobs pretty effectively towards totem, but what the use of gathered mobs in place, don't know, maybe concentrated fire storm or righteous fire totems or emberwake incinerate proliferation (or same ball lightning dealing fire damage).
I dont know enough about the mechanics to isolate what actually is relevant and what isnt. Im simply trying to get this to work properly
"
Pyrollusion wrote:
I dont know enough about the mechanics to isolate what actually is relevant and what isnt. Im simply trying to get this to work properly

lets start with the basics. Spark is a spell, it has its own base crit chance that does not interact with weapon crit chance at all. Blunt Trauma refers to weapon crit and knockback, so again, it does not affect spells, only the hits made with a staff (= attacks). what you are looking for is spell crit passives, or global crit ones (like from Serpent Stance or power charges)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Jul 24, 2016, 3:47:15 PM
Got it, so no blunt trauma for me. The other crit nodes are either to far away or simply inefficient and wasting a link for knockback doesnt seem like a smart idea aswell.
Looks like all i can do really to make this worth it is getting better gear.
Try using Increased Critical strike support. Besides increased crit it also adds base crit chance which is very effective on low base crit spells like Spark. Faster projectile support should not be needed, invest in leveled Spark gem with quality (http://poe.trade/search/gunobaratonasi) and use the slot for the crit gem.

I would also not use life leech support gem for such build, but it is your decision, if you feel you need it..

edit: do you play self-found? there is lot of room for improvement there. 0.2% leech from the amu is not tha valuable to compensate for the poor mods. You want life and crit multiplier there. the ring you have also has very low mods, cast speed should not be a priority on it. 15% movement on boots is also a problem, overally, all your rares have very low life/resist/ES rolls. Do you have capped elemental resists?

you could also include utility totem for tougher situations, ball lightning (or Spark) could work fine
Last edited by Ludvator on Jul 25, 2016, 9:47:13 AM
"
Ludvator wrote:
Faster projectile support should not be needed.

True enough, now that sparks also dissipate after they travel a certain distance overinvesting in projectile speed and skill duration isn't such a good idea anymore.

I might try and calculate how much projectile speed increase you need to cover 150 units in 1,5s, investment in duration ideally wouldn't be needed at all as softcapping speed would do the same thing but the damage would be dealt faster. Of course, if we knew their base speed it would tell us everything right off the bat, but we don't.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jul 25, 2016, 9:55:38 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:
Faster projectile support should not be needed.

True enough, now that sparks also dissipate after they travel a certain distance overinvesting in projectile speed and skill duration isn't such a good idea anymore.

I might try and calculate how much projectile speed increase you need to cover 150 units in 1,5s, investment in duration ideally wouldn't be needed at all as softcapping speed would do the same thing but the damage would be dealt faster. Of course, if we knew their base speed it would tell us everything right off the bat, but we don't.

Wiki says the base speed is 560. Not sure what that means though.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
have no idea where the numbers come from and what they actually mean. But assuming the numbers are datamined and correct, it should not be a problem to use Ice spear (speed 1000) as reference and measure/calculate it, using Elreon HO squares
Last edited by Ludvator on Jul 25, 2016, 10:35:32 AM
"
Ludvator wrote:
have no idea where the numbers come from and what they actually mean. But assuming the numbers are datamined and correct, it should not be a problem to use Ice spear (speed 1000) as reference and measure/calculate it, using Elreon HO squares

It is indeed odd numbers. To get [unit/s]; dividing that number by something like 10.85 seems to work for those skills that I know the unit/s of. You can read more about this issue here: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Property_talk:Has_projectile_speed.
Last edited by Illviljan on Jul 25, 2016, 10:51:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info