Spellcaster mana problems

Trying to run a Crit Freezing Pulse Inquisitor build right now.

Never played one before but i didn't know it had such a HUGE mana cost.
I got 58 mana per cast at gem level 15 in a 6L with Tabula with 0,31 cast time with spell echo.

This means that curently I need aprox 100 mana regen per second to sustain mana cost.

Mana cost will increase as I get more gem levels and more cast speed.

Since I am an inquisitor and plan to run VP, EB with ZO is not an option.

So in the end it seems that I need to cut down the life nodes to get mana/mana regen on tree. So the character will be extremely glass cannon. Low amount of life with no other mitigation except VP.

Any ideas?
Last bumped on Jul 24, 2016, 10:08:27 AM
Mana leech with warlock's mark? That should allow you to jump over any mana problem. Also think about changing one of your links for reduced mana/mana leech. 6-L is overkill most of the time, you don't NEED to have that to clear the game.
Blasphemy + Warlord's Mark

Herald + Mana Leech

Vaal Clarity + Inreased Duration

Mana flasks

Elreon jewellry + some reduced mana cost from tree

These are some popular solutions that don't involve high investment into mana regen.

Elreon jewelry is quite handy, since it effects the base cost of the spell BEFORE multipliers.

Warlords mark is annoying because it takes a curse from you, and curses are crazy strong.

Mana leech is nice, as others have said, 6l isnt required.

Clarity is pretty much required on all caster builds, just be careful leveling because it gets mana hungry extremely fast. Depending on your hp vs es pool, you can put it on your life with blood magic.

With spellcasters, balancing mana has always been tricky. One thing I recommend is that instead of dropping life/es nodes for mana, drop damage nodes. You cannot do any dps when dead.

The best strategy imo, is to dip a little from all of those places. Extended investment tends to have diminishing returns vs just grabbing a few initial things from many sources.

Also, be glad, my Tendrils witch drains well over 300/sec.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Jul 23, 2016, 12:00:33 PM
if the templar is unable to reach 130-150 regen you will need to do one of two things
or both: replace some links with lower mana draw links, for example faster projectiles.

maintain a pool of mana such that you can get off a deadly flurry before running out
and waiting on regen. this might mean refraining from an aura or herald, or it may mean
allocating mana reserve reduction points or using such gear.

a deadly flurry is at least 5 pulses in a row. 10 is better.

use hybrid potions as healing potions. you always need mana always.

your kill speed should easily sustain the times you jam the flasks for more
mana.

you wont be able to simply stand and deliver against bosses.

a witch or shadow fp build could be capable of stand and deliver against bosses.

mine is. my god does she drink mana tho....
For casters, besides Clarity, in most cases, you need some combination of %mana regen and +flat mana on gear. You need both, because %mana regen only becomes good with a decent mana pool. Also worth thinking about spending some passives points on %mana and %mana regen (my favorite being 2 points for Deep Thoughts notable in Witch area). Templar also have some cost reduction + mana (Righteous Decree) and cost reduction + life (Tireless) clusters, former is good for extreme cases (yours is not one), latter is just generally good.

Another thing - you're running Tabula, try switching to 5L rare chest with good defenses. Mana cost goes down, survivability goes up. It won't hit your DPS that hard, since Freeze Pulse is an okay spell damage-wise. Later with levels and better gear your mana regen will go up and you can try going with 6L, though it's not exactly mandatory for most content.
Last edited by PaperRat on Jul 23, 2016, 12:38:03 PM
yea rat, thats my build ethos is more mana.

my rings are mana + mana regen + resists,
both rings are 56% or better mana regen
with good rolls for mana. I forget.
most items have mana on them.

my total mana pool is a bit over 1600, and I use lvl 3 enlighten
to save as much as I can on auras. I need to use flasks to
sustain 100% contact with bosses but I do regen what remains
of my pool in about 3 seconds. trash mobs are one hit, and I get
mana back using assasins mark. (thinking of using frotsbite again,
got a few of em leveling up)

faster casting can wreck you manawise as powerful as it is,
removing it can enable a 6l setup where it was otherwise impossible.

also, one can use IIR gem for the 6th socket... its 0% mana draw.
Since you plan to run Vaal Pact, you must be planning to have some life leech. If you are going to be a life build, Blood Magic support gem solves all your problems. You may even be able to run another thing that reserves mana. A few leagues ago I had an Arctic Breath build that was a huge mana hog. Even with Elreon jewelry I was chugging flasks like crazy. So I found a staff that had an open mod and crafted "supported by level 1 blood magic" onto it, so I didn't have to give up a socket for it.

I think that was prior to Blasphemy being in the game. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with the Warlord's Mark on Blasphemy option.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
AgnosiousD wrote:

also, one can use IIR gem for the 6th socket... its 0% mana draw.

On Templars I quite like using Iron Will for the last slot.
It gives around 100% increased damage in most cases, which is not too bad, and have 0% cost as well :). Also it's red, and coloring for spells can often be quite a pain on armor chests.
"
tramshed wrote:
Elreon jewelry is quite handy, since it effects the base cost of the spell BEFORE multipliers.

Nope, it affects the cost of the spell *after* multipliers, not before. Test it out yourself.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info