New player, some advice about trading?

Hello all.

I am very new to PoE, and games like it, having picked it up only earlier this month. I'm definitely enjoying myself and I've got a character up to level 72 now. But trading... oh heavens. It's very intimidating. I know nobody's going to teach me all the ins and outs and I'm not going to just 'get' it immediately, but I was hoping somebody might advise me on a couple things.

So here's my question(s):

- I know that trading is essential to progress in late game. Do I need to set up a shop in order to be productive, or can I simply grind currency and trade it for the gear I need?

- Also, if I do set up a shop, can anyone recommend some guidelines or advice for choosing what gear to sell?

I'm not interested in being the richest man in PoE, or making the top of the ladder, I just want to have some wealth to work with and get some nice gear that is reasonably competitive.

Thanks for your time and help!
Last bumped on Jul 24, 2016, 2:11:55 PM
Hi Epitaph,

Welcome to Path of exile!

Regarding your questions:

- It is definitely much more productive to setup the shop, only grinding currency could work but is lot more grinding. I would recommend definitely setting up the shop.

- Pricing in PoE is not easy to get into, it depends on how well the item is rolled, what build can use it, which is the most hip build atm, and such. Playing many different builds sure helps in understanding this. But for starters, I would recommend using below site, just press ctrl + c in game while mouse pointer over the item, and paste in the text box, it'll show similar items current prices and recommended price.

http://poeprices.info/#pricesingleitem

On a side note you might wanna join a guild the experienced members can help a lot. You might wanna check out our guild, below is the link:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1691321

Have fun out there!

Thanks very much for the advice! Hopefully as I play I will get a better feel for the worth of items. I will work on figuring out how to set up a shop in the future I suppose. I have just started mapping so I'll see if I get any items that are valuable.

I will consider joining your guild. My internet is currently very bad though, so I'm not sure that I will be able to be as active with everyone as is required. I do like the idea of having some expert "training" though.

Setting up a shop is quite handy for generating currency. I would recommend only selling uniques at first (Since they are very easy to price using poe.trade) until you get a handle on what mods are valuable on what items.

HIGH LIFE ROLLS ARE IMPORTANT ON MOST GEAR (50+)

Rings/Amulets are by far the trickiest to price, people mainly want damage mods on them.

Boots you need movespeed and hp/one or two strong resists.

Gloves are looking for hp, attack speed and + damage, especially phys.

Hats you mainly want a huge defense number and a coupla good resists/hp.

Body Armor is the same as hats.

Belts are usually looking for resists/hp plus weapon elemental damage/armor (Belts are rarely worth
selling since its easy to get good belts.)

Shields are similar to hats and body armor except in the case of es shields, those are generally looking for huge es and spell crit/crit. (Good es shields can be quite valuable, other shields, not so much)

Melee weapons are pretty simple, you generally want as much phys damage as possible, the numbers needed to be sellable vary by weapon type, you can search poe.trade for the base type and sort by pdps to get an idea of pricing for them.

Wands are kind of a shitshow, good luck. Most builds want spell damage and spell crit on them.

Bows and quivers I know jack shit about, sorry.

Maps are easy to sell, as thier prices are stable and easy to look up on poe.trade Same with Divination cards

Very good jewelry and weapons can sell for very high amounts of currency, so remember its better to price high, not sell, and then lower it later than to price low, and lose out.

Hope this helps some, good luck! You can contact me ingame if you have any questions.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Jul 23, 2016, 12:14:31 PM
Thanks to both of you for the support so far! I am going to check out shop software today. I am aware that there are a few choices: Either go with Procurement/Acquisition, or manually post shop thread. I'm not going to be doing the latter option (because laziness, mostly).

Is there a preferred choice between the two shop management applications?
I would recommend getting a premium stash tab myself, it greatly simplifies selling. I rather dislike all the shop software. Its only $1.50 to upgrade a regular one to one, or you can wait for them go on sale, which is fairly often.
HAIL SATAN!
Oh I see. I didn't actually know about that. I'll definitely use that, thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info