How to slow down the Clear-Speed Meta

I'm glad I don't have to worry about this change making it into the game, since there's no chance of that. Back when reflect was in the game, EVERY character HAD to be designed around withstanding it, since there was NO WAY you were going to check 100% of rares, every time, before flying in and hitting things. Every character started by saying "I want to make a build around Skill X. How do I deal with reflect?" And if the answer to that was, "I can't," then the build went in the garbage.

I like reflect much better in its current form. As a map mod, it's still worth building around, but if you can't do reflect maps then that's not the end of the world for your character. How is a skill like EQ supposed to deal with reflect? Or what about CoC Discharge? Any skill that's stretched for points and gear would be absolutely broken by reflect. Also, players who don't know what the reflect aura is, or that it is an aura, are going to quit the game if their character randomly dies every once in a while for no apparent cause.

So, yeah. GGG isn't going to bring back reflect auras, and that is great.
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
The problem is that the world's worst balance team consistently gave more power to the players then kept monster difficulty at ULTRA EZ PZ to cater to casuals even more.

An AoE overhaul would be much more understandable than some lazy ass effort of bumping up reflect to keep builds in check.
"Get rich or die grinding"

Lvl 100 Ascendant - RadioactiveSago: HIGHEST KB tooltiplordz in all of PoE (view-thread/1636451)
Lvl 100 Assassin - Chonkeyy: Omnislasher 2 mil DPS Flicker Build (view-thread/1571744)
"

People would be forced to 'think' proper strategy. Just because you have a poor understanding of the game mechanics in PoE, it doesn't mean that the game should be dumbed down mechanically to suit.

The AoE + glass cannon speed meta needs to be toned down. It's time for the return of reflect.

No. There is no 'proper strategy'. There is no strategy.

People will do the same thing they always did, have done, will do to combat reflect... LL plus VP. It's really that simple. It will just become a nuisance because people will just avoid anything reflect.
Dynamic Environment - Day/Night, Rain/Lightning - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/110100

GGG's design philosophy in three words:
Quantity over Quality.
Last edited by laycast on Jul 21, 2016, 3:45:42 PM
"
OJ8_Graz wrote:
The problem is that the world's worst balance team consistently gave more power to the players then kept monster difficulty at ULTRA EZ PZ to cater to casuals even more.

An AoE overhaul would be much more understandable than some lazy ass effort of bumping up reflect to keep builds in check.

And it did what? Nothing. Old powerful builds still clear super fast. The one thing it did extremely well was to enable builds that were either super expensive or not viable before. Monsters have been "EZ PZ" since act 3 was released and the only thing that kept clear speed down were reflect auras, if you didn't build accordingly. The only real skill required is to avoid hitting the desk with your head when you fall asleep from pressing and holding one button hundreds of hours. It has been the case for a long time.

AoE Overhaul would be great, but we know they are not capable of doing that.

Edit: Why is clear speed a problem anyway? Most people don't play that far anyway. After rushing to 75 in roughly 10+ hours through redundant content the game repeats itself endlessly anyway.
Last edited by Bananaplasm on Jul 21, 2016, 3:50:12 PM
The harsh reality is that the clear-speed "meta" is the only reason drops in this game feel okay. If you slow this game down at all, the drops feel completely unrewarding and shitty.

Clear speed > all. Even before ascendancy. It's just more noticeable now then before because EVERYTHING decent speed clears.
the clear speed meta is getting VERY very annoying and reduce players choice what to play by A LOT!

"
Rakiii wrote:

About fast clear-speed

1. Zoom out camera = you´re not offscreen anymore = better overview
2. Reduce discrepancy between damage output and monster´s life (ehp)
3. Balance range x melee (damage scaling with AoE, less range and AoE = more damage)
4. You can still offscreen some areas which is not bad cos you´re ranged char (there are ofc areas you can´t do that - lab, dungeons..) but monsters have more time to reach you before they are killed (monsters would be also more agressive, with better AI, faster whatever)

CoC, Trap, Mine, Bow with FrostWall bug, etc builds should be nerfed.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
How to slow down the Clear-Speed Meta

You can't.

People like power

GGG gave players power.

GGG can't take power from players becasue it will create massive QQ and probably decrease in player count.

GGG can relase new harder content.

This will crate QQ players who don't want to feel weak even for a 1 second. BUt it will be smaller than nerfing everything.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
If i wanted to play turn based games i would play civilization V, and not poe.

Also, reflect aura? We already have reflect maps, that is like global aura on whole map, I don't get the point of adding more.

If i recall right, Chris stated that they are thinking of moving reflect mods to Nemesis or something like that.

Btw playing a char that clears phys+ele reflect+no regen maps without a trouble, so, any changes still wouldnt hit me hard (its not totem or trapper)
Spreading salt since 2006
Yet to see stackable burning and freeze THORNS to punish AOE.

"
The harsh reality is that the clear-speed "meta" is the only reason drops in this game feel okay. If you slow this game down at all, the drops feel completely unrewarding and shitty.

Clear speed > all. Even before ascendancy. It's just more noticeable now then before because EVERYTHING decent speed clears.

Look at party play in the past ... it was completelly different.

Risk x reward (time spent) would be adjusted that´s not the problem.

Necromael - It´s not about "turn-based strategy" but about "feelings while killing monsters" and wraeclast used to be dark, hostile, dangerous place ... smth has changed though...

But ofc 100 players 100 different opinions.
Last edited by Rakiii on Jul 22, 2016, 6:56:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info