Pure Templar Tank Help ^.^

I'm simply trying to make a pure tank templar and have a few questions...

First of all what type of armor do I go for? Pure armor .... or armor and energy shield?

Is energy shield worth it?

If someone with extensive knowledge could enlighten me of the BASICS like.... what stats I am looking for.... simple things like that it would be much appreciated

I'm working on my own Templar tank and I'll give you my opinion, though I haven't played further then level 30 or so, so I don't know much about late-game except from what I've read on these forums.

"
First of all what type of armor do I go for? Pure armor .... or armor and energy shield?

I'd say it depends on what kind of templar you want to build. If you want to build a templar with focus on energy shield, then I think you should stick with option 2. The other option is to build more like a marauder and in these situations I guess the pure armor makes more sense.

"
Is energy shield worth it?

I don't know yet, but it's something I'm working on. My previous templar was focusing more on armor, less on energy shield and made use of the Blood Magic skill. Since I really liked Tempest Shield, I can tell you to not use Blood Magic in combination with Tempest Shield. It's really annoying to see 30% of your life gone whenever you activate Tempest Shield, not worth it imo. So the Tempest Shield ability makes most sense with an Energy Shield templar, not a Blood Magic templar.

I think Energy Shield in combination with Zealot's Oath might be worth it. You'd have less armor then a "normal" tank, but on the other hand I've read armor has deminishing returns, making it much less effective at higher values. Perhaps a templar won't lose much. The energy shield will be a nice buffer against most types of damage and I can imagine with Zealot's Oath + a strong Energy Shield that a templar will have less issues with spike damage, more sustained damage. This is a good thing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that because an Energy Shield based templar needs to have a strong shield, perhaps one might not be able to put as much skills into effective hitpoints compared to other builds, since many skill points have to be spend on energy shield (keeping in mind the %-based regen skills). Ofcourse this could be a bad thing when dealing with Chaos damage, since (from what I've read) Chaos damage ignores the energy shield. You need to have at least some threshold of effective hp to survive the Chaos damage of lategame. How much? I wouldn't know yet. Perhaps 2.5k - 3k?

With all of that said, this is my build (level 26) http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuExERyQDYjTbT58B-iAASzMol35Vfi7DgaOKeEkFXAGmaeqZVRYBoygFZZ86yqcql82Q==

At level 36 something like this: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuExERyQDYjTbT58B-iAASzMol35Vfi7DgaOKeEkFXAGmaeqZVRYBoygFZZ86yqcql82QJx-tL3wXFNms9DY7cxWPWdxE99

From then on, I'm not sure yet. Might wanna go for Static Blows and later on Iron Grip. Will definitely want a weapon skill. In case of Static Blows most likely a sword (faster attack speed as maces = more procs), otherwise not sure yet.

Remaining points will be put into defensive abilities, i.e.: hp, hp regen (becomes energy shield regen with Zealot's Oath), bonus energy shield, blocking skills.

Last edited by wolf81 on Feb 19, 2013, 9:31:28 PM
just to ask some questions.

I read that ES would reduce your chance to get stunned by 50%.
So, if you build a tank around Block%, would not ES greatly improve blocking as there will be 50% less chance of 'stun animation' out of whatever number there is...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info