Martial law in Turkey - possible Coup

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
What Made America great was not "democracy" but liberty. (freedom of associations, economic , religious, personnel liberty)

Your country now is more free than ever, even with all the crap happening (mass surveillance, militarism, and so on). It can be even more free.

What makes countries great is somewhat more complex (there is a nice book about it, When Nations Fail, written by a Turkish American economist called Daron Acemoğlu, but that's just on the economical part, I think it can be expanded to social issues too; basically, the institutions, be a democracy or not are the ones that shape nations).
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
We had very few "institutions" coming here as broke ass dirt farmers then became #1 in 100 short years. The few we had screwed things up. Like FDR prolonged depression with all his unconstitutional programs.

And we are not more free than ever. Are you crazy? We had no income tax. Cocaine was in coca cola. I could list a million examples of state intrusion making us less free.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 16, 2016, 10:08:44 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
And we are not more free than ever. Are you crazy? We had no income tax. Cocaine was in coca cola. I could list a million examples of state intrusion making us less free.

And there was slavery, segregation, homosexuals couldn't be outspoken, you couldn't have sex outside marriage, atheists were treated like second class citizens, police was more violent, labor was crushed, etc.

You can argue economics (and there is a truth to that, but things have improved in others) but objetively this is the best time for humanity (Although still crap).

Still, this is more for another thread.

How are your friends in Turkey? (how did you get to know them in first place?)
Last edited by NeroNoah on Jul 16, 2016, 10:16:40 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

And there was slavery, segregation, homosexuals couldn't be outspoken, you couldn't have sex outside marriage, atheists were treated like second class citizens, police was more violent, labor was crushed, etc.

You can argue economics (and there is a truth to that) but objetively this is the best time for humanity (Although still crap).

Everyone of those are unconstitutional. At least since the 13-15th amendments. I can't help democracy failed those ppl. AGain democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding on dinner. Black were the sheep then. Millionaires are the sheep now being over taxed. Drug users thrown in prison. etc Democracy sucks and should never be held up as model of goodness.

My friends "in Turkey" are Americans here. Big expat community. All secular though so bias against Erdogoon.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 16, 2016, 10:33:16 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

You can argue economics (and there is a truth to that, but things have improved in others) but objetively this is the best time for humanity (Although still crap).

Still, this is more for another thread.

How are your friends in Turkey? (how did you get to know them in first place?)

I was going to chime in earlier, didn't, but now wish I had. People who have had full rights since day one are less free today than they were (WASPs). Pretty much everyone else is more free than they were in the late 18th century. I think that would have been a more accurate starting point than 'we are more free today than ever'.

The American experience varies wildly by demographic throughout history.
Last edited by innervation on Jul 16, 2016, 11:09:26 PM
"
innervation wrote:
I was going to chime in earlier, didn't, but now wish I had. People who have had full rights since day one are less free today than they were (WASPs). Pretty much everyone else is more free than they were in the late 18th century. I think that would have been a more accurate starting point than 'we are more free today than ever'.

The American experience varies wildly by demographic throughout history.

I'm pretty sure that table covers all the demographics.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Jul 16, 2016, 11:13:55 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
AGain democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding on dinner. Black were the sheep then. Millionaires are the sheep now being over taxed.

All those poor millionaires who aren't quite as filthy rich as they would like to be.
Boo-fucking-hoo.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
As much as I dislike Erdogan´s regime I think it´s not better if the military or secret services rule a country ( Egypt, Russia ).

People should think once in a while before voting.
"
As much as I dislike Erdogan´s regime I think it´s not better if the military or secret services rule a country ( Egypt, Russia ).

People should think once in a while before voting.

Erdogoon is the caricature of a Third World dictator. He has a vicious temper, a propensity to bully and belittle those weaker than himself, an insatiable thirst for revenge against real or perceived enemies, and little respect for the rule of law. He is even gripped by bottomless hedonism that includes private jets, huge entourages, and his 2 billion dollar presidential 80,000 sqft mansion that makes WH look like a bungalow.

The sooner you realize he's Hitler (his self admitted idol) the better. I'd take a random private in his army over him.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 17, 2016, 6:13:34 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Erdogoon is the caricature of a Third World dictator. He has a vicious temper, a propensity to bully and belittle those weaker than himself, an insatiable thirst for revenge against real or perceived enemies, and little respect for the rule of law. He is even gripped by bottomless hedonism that includes private jets, huge entourages, and his 2 billion dollar presidential 80,000 sqft mansion that makes WH look like a bungalow.

Sure, I know. I´ve often mentioned Erdogan or Putin in these discussions. Authoritarian ruthless "leaders".

As I also have mentioned before this can´t be compared to Hitler - yet. But now I read in the news that Erdogan has started to "clean" the judicial system (from all his critics...) like he "cleaned" the media before. Watch out Americans what you do, if you vote for an authoritarian guy you´ll get the results.
Last edited by Schmodderhengst on Jul 17, 2016, 6:15:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info