Mechanics of temporal chains on freeze threshold

Ok, so i have been poking at mechanics, trying things out. And I see that temporal chains increases freeze duration. I am curious if this means it lowers the threshold for an effective freeze?

What i mean by this is that for a freeze to be effective, it must reach at least 300ms, at 60ms per 1% of enemy life, normally meaning one has to deal 5% of total life to freeze an enemy. And the wiki on freeze says that temporal chains increases freeze duration. So does this indicate that with temporal chains up, one need only deal 3% of total life to proc freeze? and with the extra 60% on the tree, does this drop to ~2%?

Relatedly, what skill/gem set-up gives the highest single-hit(not dps) cold damage? Pure tooltip for spells it looks like freezing pulse is the winner, and the slight bump to freeze chance is a bonus, but there's the hard-to-estimate negative of damage falling off with distance, and the bonus freeze chance falls off fast. And then there's weapon-based skills which are harder to estimate, and only do 40-50% as cold.

Just poking around about the notion of trying to pull off a freeze-everything build.
Last bumped on Jun 29, 2016, 11:10:48 PM
if/when you get a freeze on an enemy, it'll increase its duration ...
temp chains has nothing to do with freezing mechanics.
Last edited by kreca73 on Jun 29, 2016, 7:09:31 AM
Kreca is correct.
In fact, Temporal Chains has nothing to do with Duration at all. It slows down the rate at which the existing duration ticks down - it does not extend the duration itself.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Kreca is correct.
In fact, Temporal Chains has nothing to do with Duration at all. It slows down the rate at which the existing duration ticks down - it does not extend the duration itself.

That's a strange conception of time we have in Wraeclast.

"
Zed_ wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Kreca is correct.

That's a strange conception of time we have in Wraeclast.

It's really consistent, though. If you get a timed effect applied under temporal chains, the duration number is what you'd expect. But it takes 1.4 seconds to tick down 1 second....
Ah. Hmm. That's disappointing. Makes sense in a weird way, but definitely reduces the endgame viability of a freezelock build. I'm assuming there are going to be bosses where doing 3% life per hit reliably is going to be tough to accomplish, even with crits? Idk, I haven't gotten that far into the game yet.

Still might be interested in doing the build though, so curious, which is likely to end up with more single-target, single hit cold damage, staff+glacial hammer or freezing pulse? Or something else? And is staff-crit viable?
Last edited by Saleet on Jun 29, 2016, 9:16:48 AM
"
Saleet wrote:
Ah. Hmm. That's disappointing. Makes sense in a weird way, but definitely reduces the endgame viability of a freezelock build. I'm assuming there are going to be bosses where doing 3% life per hit reliably is going to be tough to accomplish, even with crits? Idk, I haven't gotten that far into the game yet.

Still might be interested in doing the build though, so curious, which is likely to end up with more single-target, single hit cold damage, staff+glacial hammer or freezing pulse? Or something else? And is staff-crit viable?

Staff Crit IS viable. I would say Crit Freezing Pulse would be better, especially for leveling, just because it already has an inherent freeze chance.

You could also go Assassin and Whispering Ice, make that crit and freeze.

Or just Whispering Ice in general with Temporal Chains, as the movement speed from the chilled ground and the slow from Temp Chains end up with very few things moving, so basically frozen. Helps if you grab Curse Effect on the tree too.

- Sheepster
Currently in the process of leveling up a shadow with the build in mind. Don't know if I'll bother going staff, feels like if I'm just going to focus spells that dagger/s is the better choice, at least until crit chance gets absurd. Looked up Whispering Ice, can't really see the point of it...? Even the trash rare scepter/dagger combo I'm running now at lvl 16 seems like it buffs spell damage more.

Reason I was considering staff was due to it being a lot of single-hit melee damage for glacial hammer vs single targets, for possibly dealing higher damage to bosses and such, later on. Figured it was 2H, so high per-hit damage, maybe with higher potential total cold damage hits than Freezing Pulse, to have a higher chance of passing threshold on bosses for possible freezelock. Plus the innate 30% culling of GH is intense. But focusing on high damage with both spells and melee is rough(pulse/LMP for pack clear, staff/GH for single target), even with elemental being the focus, and getting over to staves with shadow is also not ideal(if going that route, seems inquisitor or Occultist would be better than assassin).
Last edited by Saleet on Jun 29, 2016, 1:04:48 PM
Oh, right. Just thought of something that completely kills the idea of trying to use both GH and freezing pulse in one freeze build. Accuracy. Building across the INT range barely offers any dex or accuracy, meaning I would have to spec into it to manage to hit anything with the GH when I really needed it, draining points from either damage or defense, and undermining the whole point.

So, spells it is then.
"
Saleet wrote:
Looked up Whispering Ice, can't really see the point of it...?

Icestorm can have 6 Support gems linked to it, because Support gems support Skills that are Granted by Unique Items

At 500 Int: Each Impact deals 50-150 base Cold Damage, with 22 and a half Impacts per Skill Use; staff itself grants 50% Increased Spell Damage

At 1000 Int: Each Impact deals 100-300 base Cold Damage, with about 30 Impacts per Skill Use; staff itself grants 100% Increased Spell Damage

Sadly, the damage calculator on the wiki isn't working for me. You could try it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7_jqIx4zJa5Y1doWnJGQVEwczA/view?usp=sharing
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info