Sword and Board Builds

Has any1 tried this with any amount of success in HC merciless?

Just wondering if any1 has gone this route and had any success because I'm debating about making my next HC toon based on extreme survivability with high armor + shield block. I understand melee is harder than ranged atm that is why I want to do a D2 zeal pally type build ( you know what i mean). With double strike and cleave as my main spam; molten shield, rejuv totem, and enduring cry as my defensive measures with the aim of very high mitigation to face tank bosses.

Skill tree:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBhMREckA2I020-Rhd8B-iABRNBLMCcYFvnjxN2Ix2OtjsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp6plVFgGjKAVk99-tIdFEw1KMWPRtDQz2VVxhZv875Z86yqJ-3z3Rku1I-53fIv7w7nUlRJXz_2SIzPUFBYY8bY2WFXDdIhns2nMPe-FCBQRxiRFHEOPDpShmBWBGFSMgmfy2CIKLXvTl0AVamXtKy6QKAFLWBLeu907Q==

Suggestions welcome.
i have a character that's almost identical to this build (i took resolute technique though) using lightning strike at i think level 70 now. he runs 3 auras; determination, vitality, and either purity (only if group needs as i'm capped at 80 all res) or hatred. really boring build. can not face tank in merciless and damage is bad. unless you have some extremely nice gear or you are happy farming in areas 10 levels lower than you when you get to merciless it's just not fun.
i <3 minesweeper
Ya I figured it would be boring, but surviving merc is more important at this point. I left out the auras and some things to create flexibility for the build on purpose. The only dmg nodes are from the templar starting area, of course you can start marauder for this. I chose templar because it was closer to the better shield block nodes. If you got to 70 then that's further than I've gotten. My latest toon was an LA marauder that died at 48 on cruel vaal. So I was hoping for a build that can take a few more hits than normal builds at the sacrifice of dmg.
Pretty much identical build on my HC ground slam mara. I was tanky as hell, max resists, nearly 2k life, still got one-shot by cruel Vaal.
The silent majority.
I have a build around leap slam and frenzy as single target. I use the aegis aurora with all of the body and soul talents. With the spell block unique amulet. I only died once to a rare multiple project crit voidbearer in merciless, but that was before getting the aegis. With aegis anything that attacks fast such as voidbearer and the machine gun shooters in lunaris 3 never bring my energy shield down.
IGN: GoForthPew
Last edited by Whathappen on Feb 19, 2013, 6:13:06 PM
"
PanicAK wrote:
Pretty much identical build on my HC ground slam mara. I was tanky as hell, max resists, nearly 2k life, still got one-shot by cruel Vaal.

Armor's near worthless, that's why...

Run up and wack builds, generally won't work...

Pure melee, if you want to be suicidal, is basically hit and run(pray no desync), and/or stack evasion niche builds...
"
PanicAK wrote:

Oversoul's hammer smash is always going to demolish anyone slow enough to get hit by it.
I have a sword and board build -- Templar. Currently Level 82
He may not be as survivable as others, but he's a lot of fun.

16k damage with main skill -- heavy strike 5 slot body armor
Flicker to close 2.8k
Resistances 75
Chaos 35
very fast, <.13
HP 3k
Armor 5.1k
block 40%
Evasion 9%
HP Regen 100
Life leech 2%
Mana Leech 2%
Energy Shield 470

I have no problem doing <= 71 maps (highest I've found)
Mostly vanilla maps
High difficulty, with L66 Tunnel Trap and Overgrown Ruin Heroes
Other than that, no problem

Uses Vulnerability (instead of Chains -- Take down quicker: don't care about their damage, rarely hit face-to-face) and CTrap.

I think he would do well with cyclone also

Partying, he does well, have to watch his health and mana if haste aura used

Doesn't do well in rare maps

"Share information to increase knowledge."
"... to distinguish Nature from Custom, or that which is established because it is right, from that which is right only because it is established." Samuel Johnson
"
"
PanicAK wrote:

Oversoul's hammer smash is always going to demolish anyone slow enough to get hit by it.

To survive big hitting Bosses while leveling. ~.^
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
"
Sheriff_K wrote:

To survive big hitting Bosses while leveling. ~.^

Pfff, that 20% is nothing, even if you have 75% fire res, you'd take 5% of that, still taking 85% of the damage.

A 600-800 armour chest is much much better.

@OP
Check my build thread, I have a lot of tips for tanking.
Last edited by tinko92 on Mar 4, 2014, 5:28:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info