My idea for better lab enchants.

As much as i hate the lab, i must say that i love the idea of enchants. However, the current system is so bad that i never bothered to even try to get the good enchants i want.

The idea i had was this:

Every time we reach the enchant fountain, we get a random enchant, the same way we have currently. BUT, all the previous enchants we got from previous runs aren't lost but kept in the device. We can't get the same enchant twice, but merciless/uber are separated.

Every time you do a lab run, you know you ll get something new and that your current enchant won't be ereased or lost, but stored for future potential builds in a list.

If you reroll, you just need to do a new lab run to reach your enchant device and select the one you want amoung those you unlocked.

In the worst case scenario, you would have to do around 350 runs to get the desired one (which is already borderline sadistic). But at least you know that every time you do a run you reduce the time needed to see your enchant appear.
For people that like trading, you could give your item to a trusty person that have the enchant you want unlocked and pay for his services.
The amount of people having access to good enchants would increase during the leagues, but the same thing apply for the masters already.

Same would apply for boots/gloves.

I can't see any downsides to that compared to the current system in place tbh. Right now, having to run the lab without any guarantee you will ever see your enchant is stupid. Add to that that you make multiple characters in a league. If you don't wear a unique item and have the enchant you want on a rare, i can't see anyone sane doings runs again if he finds an upgrade for this slot.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
Last bumped on Jun 28, 2016, 7:27:07 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
A simpler solution of the font giving you a list of three enchants to choose from, would already fix a lot. It would tone down the RNG and remove the gambling of overwriting a "good enough" enchant with random crap.

But the design behind enchants is to further trading and economy, so I don't expect it to change.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
A simpler solution of the font giving you a list of three enchants to choose from, would already fix a lot. It would tone down the RNG and remove the gambling of overwriting a "good enough" enchant with random crap.

But the design behind enchants is to further trading and economy, so I don't expect it to change.

I would not fix the fact that nothing would prevent you to never get the one you want.
"
Kagari wrote:
I would not fix the fact that nothing would prevent you to never get the one you want.

I don't disagree with your suggestion, it's just that it has to be looked through GGG's vision of enchants, which is trading, not self-finding. And the current brutal RNG already satisfies that vision.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
That would be much better than what we have now, and you're right it's so poorly designed I don't even think about trying to get a specific enchant.

But honestly even then I'd probably want it to be easier. Your solution for example but instead of 1 enchant per run I'd rather something like three enchants to choose from that are random and the one you use to enchant with gets stored like you mention - not only getting stored for later use but you can't reroll it again and something new has to take its place. That will get the worst case down from 350 to something more realistic.
Last edited by GeorgAnatoly on Jun 28, 2016, 4:26:35 AM
It would be better. But at the end of the day they are not gonna bait me into doing something I don't like doing for enchant with those odds. I play games for fun and if i'm not having fun with up to 375? no fun runs I won't do it. Maybe 5 runs.

Hell the ascendancy is better than any enchantment and its one run. I can live with that.

Basically what I'm trying to say even with your plan it offers a poor time vs performance compared to any reward in the game. Even getting a 6L is easier than right enchant not to mention a million times more powerful from where you started. I can level from zero to 90 before I do 375+ runs.

Enchants are a poor value in simple terms.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 28, 2016, 4:53:27 AM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
You are applying xxxxx enchant on yyyyy item, continue? :

YES : Will override any existing enchant.

NO : Enchant will be lost but any existing enchant will remain.
Casually casual.

"
morbo wrote:
"
Kagari wrote:

I don't disagree with your suggestion, it's just that it has to be looked through GGG's vision of enchants, which is trading, not self-finding. And the current brutal RNG already satisfies that vision.

They are not being realistic then. Odds of finding rare with props you need and correct enchant are literally million to one. Unique is easier of course but still a long shot for more ppl unless really playing a FOTM.

I love trade. traded for everything. have not found one useful piece.

Say by a miracle you do find that rare with 450 ES helm 40 lightning res and 35 fire res and T1 increased viper strike damage you desired. Any seller worth his salt knows he has you "over the barrel" and you will pay. Still poor price/performance like DIY is.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 28, 2016, 5:10:11 AM
"
morbo wrote:
"
Kagari wrote:

It would still involve some sort of trading, the same way master services work right now.

@Aim_Deep: i also agree. But i really don't think GGG will give up on the lab anytime soon sadly. In fact they push toward it more and more with prophecies and uber lab.
It would not remove the need to do lab for enchants unless you hire someone for it but at least it wouyld make it slightly less of a chore and frustrating.
I approach enchants this way, from a SF pov: Run Lab for chests, treat enchants just as a bonus. Throw enchants on popular unique helms until you hit a combination that fits, eg:

Save the item for possible re-rolling later. It's how I play PoE most of the time - create a build after you loot an item.

Not everyone plays this way, ofc. But if you love trading then I don't see the problem. You can just buy the exact item from the market. If the seller has you by the balls and wants premium price, that's just economy, no? :P
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info