increased spelldamage mechanics on wands

hello,

can someone explain to me how the increased spelldamage mechanics works?

take this example:

the item has 11% increased spelldamage.
below that, it states 8% increased spelldamage.

so had the item a base spelldamage of 10% wich was then increased by 8% giving it a total amount of +11% incr. spelldamage?

thats what i always thought. (like on melee weapons, bonuses from affixes/suffixes (like increased damage) are added to the base damage and shown on the item
like on this one:

it has 15% increased damage and additional 7-14 damage giving the item a total of 21-45 damage)

but yesterday i played with a friend (witch). he had a similar wand like the one shown above, i think it was +11% and then +10% from affixes/suffixes)
then he found a new wand wich had +16% increased spelldamage (no +xx% from suffixes or affixes)

normally i would assume that the new one would deal more damage (with spells ofcourse)since it has a higher spelldamage increase. but it didnt. the old one would deal more damage.

why is that?

does the bonus from affixes/suffixes apply additivly? so that the wand above would have a total increased spelldamage of 19%?

or is that spelldamage applied globally?
or how the hell does that work? :)

maybe there is a mechanics thread i could read? or a formula i didnt find?

any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited by RedNoak on Feb 19, 2013, 2:06:06 PM
The inherent Increased Spell Damage is not a base item stat like weapon damage is. :) Just a freebie affix to make Wands inherently interesting weapons for Spellcasters, even if it's just a White.

All base Item Stats are gray with a white or blue value.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 19, 2013, 2:26:13 PM
hmm what does inherent mean?

so its a global variable?

if a wand has two increased spell damage things, u add them?

so the example wand has indeed a total of 19% increased spelldamage?
'Inherent' means it's always there. All wands have a Spell Damage affix. Similarly, all fencing Swords have Global Crit Damage, and edged Swords have an Accuracy bonus.

The Spell damage bonuses are simply added together, yes. All 'Increased' modifiers that apply are added together, to be precise; that includes other gear, passives and Support gems.
ahh ok thanks, that explains alot :)
"10-20 physical damage" and "10% increased physical damage" are different things - one is the base damage, one increases that damage.

"10% increased spell damage" and "8% increased spell damage" are not different things. Neither of these things itself is an amount of spell damage, so neither of them can apply to the other. Both of them are an increase, so they will stack and will both apply to whatever the base damage of your spell is when you use it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info