Lightning strike vs spectral throw

is one objectively better than the other? if so why?
Last bumped on Jun 27, 2016, 7:50:28 PM
They r too different, to tell that.
Objectively, no. The major differences are in projectile behaviour. Lightning Strike's projectiles are very fast and are long range, but are blocked by all terrain and require pierce chance or chain for solid pack clearing. Spectral Throw deals somewhat better single target damage (because you don't have to spec for pack clearing) and hits more easily thanks to its autopierce and ignoring terrain, but can be clunky due to requiring two hits for full damage and too much projectile speed being a drawback. It also needs multiple projectiles for pack clearing. Take your pick.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Jun 27, 2016, 7:31:54 PM
"
viperesque wrote:
Both need multiple projectiles.

Well, Lightning strike used to but it doesn't anymore and 100% pierce isn't such a big opportunity cost as it used to be. There's even a 7L chest that probably works best for LS because it's a projectile skill that uses 2 or 3 red gems in a typical setup, isn't easy but certainly easier than all green or 1 red. That and everything else considered I'm giving it an edge over ST, I think it's a better skill overall.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jun 27, 2016, 7:29:47 PM
"
raics wrote:
Well, Lightning strike used to but it doesn't anymore

Ah, knew I was forgetting something. Thanks.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Yeah, me too, it had three projectiles for ages, but I was tinkering with some myolner char recently and it was 'da fuck did all those projectiles come from?'
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
viperesque wrote:
Objectively, no. The major differences are in projectile behaviour. Lightning Strike's projectiles are very fast and are long range, but are blocked by all terrain and require pierce chance or chain for solid pack clearing. Spectral Throw deals somewhat better single target damage (because you don't have to spec for pack clearing) and hits more easily thanks to its autopierce and ignoring terrain, but can be clunky due to requiring two hits for full damage and too much projectile speed being a drawback. It also needs multiple projectiles for pack clearing. Take your pick.

so they both need to spec for pack clearing in some way, one needs pierce from gem/tree... the other needs lmp or gmp
Well, for Spectral Throw you can just replace the LMP/GMP gem with something else or remove it entirely for single targets. Depends on your setup, but Lightning Strike isn't usually that simple cause you've probably specced passives into pierce or gone Deadeye or something like that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info