Why use Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call when you can't generate Endurance Charges?

"
SaiyanZ wrote:
I always use the combo even in Standard with access to godly gear. 0.7 seconds of immortality against physical damage for 3 sockets cost is worth it to me.

Edit: Been using lvl20 Immortal Call for months but just realized there's almost no point to use a high level gem because it doesn't scale with level. It used to scale a (long) while back.

Going to switch to lowest possible level.

Wait! So there is no reason to level up it or CWDT past level 1? I guess looking at the info, leveling it only raises it's per endurance charge increase. So why do people level them past 1 if they can't generate Endurance Charges and are only using increased duration support gem?
Here come another dumb question.

Why/How does it even work at all if you have no endurance charges? Would it work if you self cast it with no charges?
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950
"
Moridin79 wrote:

Why/How does it even work at all if you have no endurance charges? Would it work if you self cast it with no charges?

Yes. It has a base duration and does not require charges to use it. The charges just give it extra duration.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
"
While it may not sound like much, part of the reason it's helpful is it gives you that extra half-second to react.

^ This!
Sadly most of us are not as fast as we think! ^^
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
"
Moridin79 wrote:

Yes. It has a base duration and does not require charges to use it. The charges just give it extra duration.

Thanks. The gem description makes it seem like charges were required but it makes sense when looking at the stats. I learn something new about this game every day.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950
"
SaiyanZ wrote:

Two reasons:

1. Immortal Call used to scale with level in the past and people who took a break from the game didn't bother to check (me).

2. Levelling up CWDT ensures that Immortal Call only procs when you really need it. Instead of proccing on a small hit and then being on cooldown when the big chain of damage spikes come. This is more useful for high hp or es builds though.

So whats a good rule of thumb as to how high to level CWDT? Half your life? more, less?
Just recently returned for the most recent season and RIP'ed my first character in the new Labyrinth to spike traps. Would this setup help with the physical damage traps for running Lab?
"
IonicSlayer wrote:
Just recently returned for the most recent season and RIP'ed my first character in the new Labyrinth to spike traps. Would this setup help with the physical damage traps for running Lab?

In theory, yes. In practice, the traps hit with a long enough delay that by the time of the second hit, IC has already worn off. They would be best against the spinning blades and saw blades, since those deal continuous damage.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
IonicSlayer wrote:

In theory, yes. In practice, the traps hit with a long enough delay that by the time of the second hit, IC has already worn off. They would be best against the spinning blades and saw blades, since those deal continuous damage.

I wrote spike traps, but I meant the spinning blades... ran out into some crazy maze that was much bigger than I thought and got side swiped.

Actually just RIP'ed again last night... this time to the mines optional boss on cruel. Had no idea those blessed hammers were going to deal that much damage and just obliterated my character in less than a second. Mainly just me being careless, was crushing everything and had no idea it would do that much damage. Will remake tonight :)
"
Nssheepster wrote:
CWDT + IC is an absolute lifesaver for any build that doesn't rely heavily on block/dodge/evasion, even if it doesn't protect against everything.

Are you implying that CWDT+IC is bad for Dodge/Evasion builds? I use CWDT no matter what.
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info