Why use Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call when you can't generate Endurance Charges?

I see many trapper builds using this combo. What's the point of .6ish seconds of involnerability. Is that worth the gem slots?
Last bumped on Sep 23, 2016, 3:06:20 PM
Some people think it is. Personally I disagree. On any build I have that CAN get Endurance charges, I want to keep them, not spend them. On any build without them, I don't use it, as it'll have a tiny duration.

People use it to avoid getting hit with multiple large physical hits at the same time. The first one would trigger it and then the next would be blocked, assuming you get multiple large, all physical hits at nearly the same time.

My issue with that is the rarity of 100% physical hits that would work in that fashion. Devourers would be the closest example, but last I knew it had fire damage to it, not physical. So where, exactly, would this mythical situation occur? I don't know.

- Sheepster
While it may not sound like much, part of the reason it's helpful is it gives you that extra half-second to react. If it manages to block a bit of damage and buy you time while mobs wind up for the next attack(s), you can pot back to full health with instant flasks.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
It saves you from getting stun-locked, for one thing--if the initial big hit causes a stun, IC lasts long enough for you to recover and run run run away (or else enough time to auto-logout; 0.6 seconds is definitely enough time to evaluate whether you are in a death position). Trappers don't play in the thick of it, and they're immune to reflect, so they're mostly not taking any damage at all. Making sure you have enough time to get to a no-damage position from accidentally letting yourself take damage can be highly advantageous.
I use it to not suicide in offscreen phys reflect mobs. It helps a lot. I'm playing a physical spell cast on crit build which fires volleys of EK and bladefall. My first spells hit the phys reflect mob, IC activates, my next 3-4 spells follow milliseconds later and don't deal damage to me.

It's not a 100% foolproof method as IC may be on cooldown but it does help.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
CWDT+IC is the thing that saves you when you kill a pack of nasty porcupines from my experience.

The first hit triggers the IC and the rest of the spikes fizzles since usually the porcupines are not all in one position so the projectiles hit you in succession not instantly.

Also it's great for things like Poorjoys Asylum, because you can take massive amounts of damage there in short amount of times.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 8:25:34 PM
"
Nssheepster wrote:
My issue with that is the rarity of 100% physical hits that would work in that fashion. Devourers would be the closest example, but last I knew it had fire damage to it, not physical. So where, exactly, would this mythical situation occur? I don't know.

Porcupines, chimeras, those titty spine thingies from Lunaris, birdmen, skelly archers. Not to mention bosses like Argus. CWDT + IC is an absolute lifesaver for any build that doesn't rely heavily on block/dodge/evasion, even if it doesn't protect against everything.
It breaks burst combos and stunlock. Porcupines. May give you just enough time to spam pots/logout.

And is there a reliable way to generate endurance charges for caster character during boss fights?Except Enduring Cry of course.
For melee ones it is Vengeance + Endurance Charge on Melee Stun,but I know no such means for caster toon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info