I Need help on how should I farm currency

It's been like a week since I created my character in PSC. I'm lvl 81 and I wanted to know how should I farm currency.
Some people told me to do low lvl maps and farm 1200alteration orb =>1ex
Some people told me to do lake runs
I don't have a good idea on what should I pick up when I'm farming (I'm using an item filter);
-Should I pick rare items?
-Should I identify everything and sell for alt shards?
-Is it worth to use chance orbs on occulist vestment, gavels, agate amulets etc...?
-How fast do i have to do a single lake run?
-Other things to have in mind when I go to farm?

My items, pretty sure everything is shitty maybe you can recommend something better (I do have other items to cap res and have 4k+ HP but I'm using this for quantity/rarity):

Spoiler

Passives:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAQDAAUtBWYFtQYjDY0RgRXsFr8hdiPTI_YknST9JpUqCyyULlMwfDH6MgE2PTnUQzFHfkp9TP9Nkk4qUUdVS1b6W69d8mHiYetiF2JaYqxjp2VNZ6BsCGyMbydwUnTtdct1_Xb3eu97FH11fyuEb4SUhs6HdonTivCMNo19jX6Nv49gmmqbJp2qoJ-hpKefp9Swq7IZtMW1SLe2uR274702vqfBM8LsxILEos9602_TftRC1ljawdvn3Ubgn-Hb45_nVOjW6UbqYutj7FzuDu96_MX-uv7I_94=

I want to buy things like:
-Reach of the Council Spine Bow 6link = 11ex
-Kintsugi exquisite leather 5link = 7ex
-Rat's nest Ursine Pelt = 15c
And so far I feel like It takes waaay too long for me farm those ex, I only have 60c now.
Last edited by Vexfer on Jun 26, 2016, 9:46:02 PM
Last bumped on Jun 30, 2016, 12:57:57 PM
Just allow yourself to kill as quickly as possible.

Early league farming in Dried Lake I pick up currency, t1 bases, and 6s/Rare Jewelry/Uniques only. Don't waste time with Alterations, it's too much of a hassle.

Goal is to kill quickly. Maximize movement speed. The more mobs you kill, better chance of currency. Basically your goal is to vendor or stash very infrequently.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Don't do it. Currency shouldn't be the goal. It's not motivating enough. You need other goals, and currency will be a byproduct of play.

I'd work on replacing that armor. By now you should be in a good 5L or even 6L of your choice. That should be your goal.
"
Just allow yourself to kill as quickly as possible.

Early league farming in Dried Lake I pick up currency, t1 bases, and 6s/Rare Jewelry/Uniques only. Don't waste time with Alterations, it's too much of a hassle.

Goal is to kill quickly. Maximize movement speed. The more mobs you kill, better chance of currency. Basically your goal is to vendor or stash very infrequently.

How long should it takes me to clear DriedLake? (an estimation would be nice).

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Don't do it. Currency shouldn't be the goal. It's not motivating enough. You need other goals, and currency will be a byproduct of play.

I'd work on replacing that armor. By now you should be in a good 5L or even 6L of your choice. That should be your goal.

I'm farming currency because I want to change my armor/gear, I'm sorry maybe I don't catch what you are aiming me to do :$
is there a list somewhere on what the t1 bases are?
WTB 3 divine 1ex

few hours later

WTS 2 divine 1ex

Thats just an example dont know prices where you play. But yeah buy low sell a little higher anything really from scrolls of wisdom to mirrors, doesnt matter, just working margins. Remember pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered though so dont get greedy
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 27, 2016, 1:07:35 AM
"
Vexfer wrote:
It's been like a week since I created my character in PSC. I'm lvl 81 and I wanted to know how should I farm currency.
Some people told me to do low lvl maps and farm 1200alteration orb =>1ex
Some people told me to do lake runs
I don't have a good idea on what should I pick up when I'm farming (I'm using an item filter);
-Should I pick rare items?
-Should I identify everything and sell for alt shards?
-Is it worth to use chance orbs on occulist vestment, gavels, agate amulets etc...?
-How fast do i have to do a single lake run?
-Other things to have in mind when I go to farm?

Basically two options; be a trader/flipper as suggested or play the game (my preferred approach, though much slower).

Prioritize kill speed over MF. Movement speed is king.
Look up the chaos recipe on the wiki and use it. A lot.
Dried lake is a great place to farm. Once in 1000-2000 voll kills, you may even get a brittle emperor for a few EX. Maps do tend to reward better though.
You can either just beeline for Voll, in which case a dried lake run should take you < 1min or
You can farm most of the zone, in which case say 4-5min.
Chancing is up to you. Its a gamble. I've spent well over 600 chances and never gotten a unique. I continue to do so because well.. i think I have a problem :S
Recipes you need to know:
1) Chaos recipe
2) Chromatic recipe

Its a fine line between picking up everything and having to waste time vendoring vs selective picking up. Generally speaking, I think the person who seldom stops to vendor/stash will be richer in the end, which is a little counter intuitive. Some post on the forum (I honestly cant remember who it was.) I read explained it best. Every drop is like spinning a roulette wheel. All you want to do is spin it as many times as possible in as short a time as possible and statistically you will get something good (PSA: you may not).

Hope that helps!
~Myth

When running with high IQ/IIR I lose about 70% clear speed.

oh noes! actually not oh noes. I lose all that clear speed...
because I keep portaling to town to clear inventory of massive
amounts of rares.

yes I kill much slower, and am vulnerable to getting killed
but most maps I end up leaving all sorts of less desireable
rares on the ground. why are they less desirable?

2x 3x1 swords are more desireable than a 2x6 armor.
2x 2x2 boots or gloves/helm are more desireable than a 2x4 maul.

more items means more shards right?

also a side effect: IIR (not IIQ) increases your map drop
rate in the following way: more of the maps you recieve are
UNID rares and therefore will yeild more maps themselves
when you run them after. (50% quant bonus)

another side effect: more rares of all kinds means more rare
jewlery (which we all love) and more rares with quality.
I keep the quality rares to the far side of my tab... and
am willing to invest about 20 armorers on average to complete
a set for 3 chaos.

omg bloodlines... one time I've got my iiq/iir gear on in a good map
with bloodlines.... meet up with a pack of them... got about 15-20
rare diamond rings. chaos city. =D
What I do: build a glass cannon and look for as much clear speed as possible with a little magic find items on the side. I just use aurseize and an item rarity gem and that's it, I switch them out with 'power' options for high-tier content. I think your build fits that idea. I then clear only maps with a good layout and use the unidentified chaos recipe. I use Neversink's filter and activate the "magicfind filter" which hides almost anything. I only pick up rare belts, rings and amulets, mid and high-tier currencies, uniques and six-slotted items. The goal is to clear the entire map without having to teleport out to sell items and to minimize inventory management as much as possible. No backtracking, only run forward and clear as quickly as possible. If there are some monsters remaining when you kill the boss, it's fine.

When you clear the map and teleport out, throw all belts, rings and amulets in a stash tab. Throw the currencies in another (having a currency tab helps a lot). I only identify diamond rings and leather belts. Vendor the trash uniques, leather belts and diamond rings and sell the good ones. Most will be trash. When you accumulate a decent amount of unidentified rings, belts and amulets, set the filter to standard mode - it will start showing most rare items - and start collecting all the other parts of the unidentified chaos recipe and throwing them in a second stash tab. When it gets filled with chests, helmets, 2H weapons, gloves and boots, vendor everything for a bunch of unidentified chaos recipes.

You might feel as if you're missing on some potential good rare items, and you are, but they are 99.99% trash and even most of the sellable ones are worth a few chaos. Think of it in terms of income per hour - this is IMO the best income per hour you're going to get. Also, if you have a bunch of items above lvl 75 in the set you're vendoring, it's fine - you'll still get the 2 chaos. You'll get 2 regals only if all items are lvl 75 or more, and it's not the end of the world - regals can be easily exchanged for chaos through poe.trade at a ratio of almost 1:1.

Once again, the map tier doesn't matter, layout is everything. You alch and go, if it's something impossible to run or too slow (reflect, no regen, chilled ground + temp chains), you scour and alch again. If you're low on alch and scour, transmute/augment and go - it's no biggie. Maps with good layouts for farming:

Tropical Island, Mountain Ledge, Wharf, Promenade, Phantasmagoria, Pier, Underground Sea, Collonade, Strand, Jungle Valley, Canyon, Gorge, Plateau.

Rushing, playing a glass cannon with MF gear and running almost all map mods will lead to some deaths. It doesn't matter, you aren't leveling - you're farming. This method has the added benefit of leveling gems quickly (they don't have level/XP penalties as the player). If you want to level, you switch to non-magicfind gear and start paying more attention to map mods and map tiers, but the same principles generally apply - you want to clear as quickly as possible and avoid backtracking, inventory management and teleporting out. Canyon, Gorge and Plateau are best but if you don't have them, you still want to stay at least at tier 8 or more to have any noticeable XP gain.

----

If you're in a t11 map or above, your drops will have a sufficiently high item level to start thinking about identifying them and not doing the unidentified recipe. Still, almost everything will be unsellable or only worth a few chaos but you might luck out on a solid rare from time to time. I still think prioritizing clear speed and only identifying rings, amulets, belts, the best gloves, boots and helmet bases, vaal regalias, widowlsilk robes and pure ES shields brings the best income per hour. Maybe also wands and daggers. What's the problem with weapons? Most weapon-based builds have dirt-cheap uniques they are using and anything which doesn't beat these uniques is unsellable. Getting a rare which beats the uniques is like winning the lottery: if you rely on this, you'll most likely get disappointed and you'll waste a TON of time identifying trash in the process. Even if you luck out on something, the time lost sifting through trash will most likely make it not worth it. Still, wands and daggers might be an exception since the crit caster builds are usually looking for good rares as the uniques are subpar or highly expensive in Void Battery's case.

However, there are many different opinions there and everyone should find their own pace. After many hours of farming and identifying thousands of trash rares, I've reached the conclusion it's not really worth it to identify almost anything - but you might want to try and see for yourself, otherwise you might feel you're missing on something.

p.s. you could watch some of the popular streamers and how they are playing - although there are significant differences in personal playstyles, you'll see they generally go for clear speed and don't pick up too much items. Some cases like Havoc are a little extreme and it may look shocking at first glance but keep it in mind these are the guys who are hitting 100 first in all new leagues. Yes, they might get some free items from watchers, but they are mostly just incredibly efficient at time management.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 27, 2016, 5:06:39 AM
"
AgnosiousD wrote:
also a side effect: IIR (not IIQ) increases your map drop
rate in the following way: more of the maps you recieve are
UNID rares and therefore will yeild more maps themselves
when you run them after. (50% quant bonus)

Running maps unidentified only gives a bonus of 30% to quantity.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info