The melee hate?

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Cyclone is about biggest AOE i'd call melee.

What you see are successful spell casters even though GGG calls them earthquake and ground slam "melee skills"

Anyway this game is all aoe all the time so true melee skills will always suck. even if you boosted heavy strike 500%. Sure you'd take out bosses super fast but not much else, making the big AOE "melee" skills king of the hill.

And DPS has come easy thing to get, and most people would play single player mode to kill bosses like atziri anyways.
Last edited by Puraime on Jun 24, 2016, 11:47:54 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

What you see are successful spell casters even though GGG calls them earthquake and ground slam "melee skills"

Anyway this game is all aoe all the time so true melee skills will always suck. even if you boosted heavy strike 500%. Sure you'd take out bosses super fast but not much else, making the big AOE "melee" skills king of the hill.

It's not "true melee skills" it's just single target skills in general, I don't see a 1 arrow burning arrow build becoming meta soon.

I agree too, the difference between melee and ranged attacks however is the aoe capability, when you get GMP/Fork/Chain/Pierce combined with innate AOE skills like Split Arrow/Tornado Shot/Blast Rain/Lightning Arrow, that kind of shit hit the entire screen.

Meanwhile melee are limited to Melee Splash... Which is garbage possibility compared to ranged attacks.

It's just any pure single target skill... anyone of these are fundamentally bad for this kind of game. It just happens that melee get less aoe gem capability and more pure single target skill... Then again GGG understood this since the new melee skills (Ice Crash/Earthquake/Lacerate) already have innate AOE.

tl;dr single target sucks
Last edited by Sygnano on Jun 23, 2016, 4:14:29 PM
"
Sygnano wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

It's not "true melee skills" it's just single target skills in general, I don't see a 1 arrow burning arrow build becoming meta soon.

I agree too, the difference between melee and ranged attacks however is the aoe capability, when you get GMP/Fork/Chain/Pierce combined with innate AOE skills like Split Arrow/Tornado Shot/Blast Rain/Lightning Arrow, that kind of shit hit the entire screen.

Meanwhile melee are limited to Melee Splash... Which is garbage possibility compared to ranged attacks.

It's just any pure single target skill... anyone of these are fundamentally bad for this kind of game. It just happens that melee get less aoe gem capability and more pure single target skill... Then again GGG understood this since the new melee skills (Ice Crash/Earthquake/Lacerate) already have innate AOE.

tl;dr single target sucks

Melee is very close quarters combat by definition can be AOE or single target but not certainly like EQ or GS where foe cant reach you before you kill him. Thats a ranged attack not melee.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 23, 2016, 4:25:22 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Melee is very close quarters combat by definition can be AOE or single target but not certainly like EQ or GS where foe cant reach you before you kill him. Thats a ranged attack not melee.

I did not know you can shoot the ground with a mace or staff. /sarcasm

Tsunade must be a ranger with her foot. :P
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

IMO melee/HP builds are dead. The only exception being EQ / lab farmer that is it. Have you seen many EQ builds going for Shaper or end game maps? Well I have not....

My point being, how can a 6-8k life / melee build compete with any CI and/or range build (let's not talk about totems) while you can have 20k ES... It does not make sense.... I want 20k HP! :p

Like some of you on this thread I want to play HP/Melee but the options are way too limited... There is just no diversity with melee all builds look the same: dead
Still, I love wild strike despite it being a namelock skill. It's just REALLY fun imo.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"Melee" and "single target" is not the same - and has never been the same. And you know what, it will never be the same.

But a lot of games are using the term "melee range". That does not exist in PoE, as some melee skills have a range/AoE that can cover the whole screen.

For me, melee will always be the "range of your melee weapon". If that means AoE or single target, doesn't matter. But as long as you're attacking beyond the range of your weapon - without throwing it - it's not melee. In MY eyes. But I may be the only one realizing that my SUBJECTIVE view on these terms, isn't the "true definition".

I'm perfectly OK with "melee" skills like EQ, Ground Slam, Sunder and whatnot, but I will never be OK with them being "required" for an efficient build.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
IMHO to reduce AOE necessity for clear speed, they should double monster EXP and reduce pack size by 50%, and increase monster HP/DEF to compensate, or something similar to get single target skills to be used more, and not just huge AOE for everyone.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"Melee" and "single target" is not the same - and has never been the same. And you know what, it will never be the same.

But a lot of games are using the term "melee range". That does not exist in PoE, as some melee skills have a range/AoE that can cover the whole screen.

For me, melee will always be the "range of your melee weapon". If that means AoE or single target, doesn't matter. But as long as you're attacking beyond the range of your weapon - without throwing it - it's not melee. In MY eyes. But I may be the only one realizing that my SUBJECTIVE view on these terms, isn't the "true definition".

I'm perfectly OK with "melee" skills like EQ, Ground Slam, Sunder and whatnot, but I will never be OK with them being "required" for an efficient build.

Pretty much this. To me, melee has the pretty basic definition of "run up and hit a dude with my pointy stick." Not "send a shockwave at them," not "throw frosty knives at them," I run up to a dude, and pointy stick them in the face. Pretty fucking simple concept.

Problem is, the skills that do fit that description fit into PoE like a depleted uranium suppository. This game is not designed for single-target, and nothing is going to fix that. No matter how much you buff single-target true melee skills like Heavy Strike and Glacial Hammer, you're still going to need a Melee Splash support just to make them work.

The only way to fix melee is, to be entirely honest, to make it no longer melee.
This is a buff™
"
raics wrote:
"
Puraime wrote:
I prefer fast clear speed ranged build any day so I don't get bored of the game.

That's a surefire way to get bored for me, melee is where the action and sportsmanship is, long range combat is pretty much shooting fish in the barrel. But yeah, I sometimes do feel like that love is onesided.

i lol'd at 'sportsmanship'

peace.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info