Skill Gem Level Penalty (v3.0 Final)

Scourings are too expensive for you? Ok, go buy a new (pre-leveled)gem from the vendor for an alt, or a transmute, or whatever.

There are very cheap and easy methods in the game already.
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
if scouring are too much go buy a new gem

how come I have never had this problem in like 30 toons? Maybe bacuse I never wear items with that useless reduced attributes req. Its a wasted stat, a filler. I dont know but it cant be common issue?
Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

how come I have never had this problem in like 30 toons? Maybe bacuse I never wear items with that useless reduced attributes req. Its a wasted stat, a filler. I dont know but it cant be common issue?

I don't think it is, either you dismiss the gem from leveling up anymore by right clicking or you scour\regret it down to appropriate levels if its too high.

It just isn't logical to allow a gem to work, even at a lessor level if you don't meet all of the requirements, its likely an overly complicated change for solutions people already have.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
This will kill the gem market. There will be no reason to ever buy a lvl1 gem anymore.

Gem market doesn't matter anyway.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Some gems cost an orb of scouring. Yes, it's easy to spend money in PoE but these orbs aren't cheap or common, unless you're lucky enough to have the time to play all day and it's a complete waste of time and money spending them to down-grade your skill gems. I can think of better ways to spend my money. The same applies to passive respec points. When I'm forced to spend one refunding a node that I will eventually put back, it's a total waste.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:

I'm talking about attribute bonuses, i.e. "+12 to Strength".
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jun 23, 2016, 12:38:58 PM
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
This will kill the gem market. There will be no reason to ever buy a lvl1 gem anymore.

I don't think the OP is talking about gem level anyway, if a gem requires lv60 and it should only work if character is 60 or above. He's talking more of the character stat requirement, str, dex, int. If that criteria does not match, lower the gem level to your matching state.
I still disagree. In order to get this deep into trouble:

- You must not have scourings/regrets + you must not have any quests left that give you refund points (meaning you must have messed up several times already!) + you must have made a mistake + you must not have any currency to trade for scourings/regrets.
- You must be high level (70+ or something) because otherwise you could just level a new one or just use your old gear a bit longer or a zillion other solutions. Hell, unless you play hardcore, your gear doesn't really matter in softcore on low level... Just get some dps+mobility and rush to endgame. Who cares about like 1 piece you can't wear and who cares about dying... Or just go naked or whatever and use granite or that cheap unique that gives 2000 armour and gg. Also you (of course) level multiple gems at the same time right? So if you messed up some int gem, you may have a str-dps-gem to use. GGG never cares about balancing level 1-70 so it is completely and utterly unbalanced. Use it.
- The gem must be around level 14-20 because otherwise you can just level up a new gem really fast or keep the old gear and just level a new on in your off-hand. If this is not the case for you then your xp/hour is probably too low.
- If you unequip a piece of equipment that you can not re-equip (because that piece gave u the stat bonus) then you could just buy one from a vendor that gives stats, buy one from poe.trade, use one of the options mentioned above, etc.
- Resort to a lvl1 skill-gem or buy one from a vendor since it somewhat scales with your level. You will lose a bit of dps but who cares you will fix your mistake relatively soon I assume.
- Etc. etc. etc.

All by all, if you are playing sofcore, and having problems with gem levels, then you messed up not just once, but several times. You may just not know it. Imo there is no patch needed to change this. And people who play hardcore usually (or I would expect them to) know what they are doing.

Also you can level from normal -> merc on like 3 chaos (which you have by lvl30) on lightspeed. There are so many broken leveling item sin this game. It really doesn't matter if you made a mistake and can't equip some gem. And by the time you reach merc (which is probably ~1 day if you're not racing) then you already made way way way more than 3 chaos to make up. And faster leveling/faster clearspeed = more drops/hour.
Last edited by silverdash on Jun 23, 2016, 6:07:57 PM
The easiest and least expensive way to avoid this hang up is to not use any items that grant attribute bonuses. Of course this greatly impacts the fun of PoE. I end up missing out on a wide range of unique items and I never get to use any of the seven different kinds of amulets that specifically give attribute bonuses. I can't imagine that this was what GGG intended when they created those items but this is what the hard attribute requirements of gems is forcing players to do.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jun 28, 2016, 4:44:59 PM
I really like this idea!
"
TheNightFly wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Some gems cost an orb of scouring. Yes, it's easy to spend money in PoE but these orbs aren't cheap or common, unless you're lucky enough to have the time to play all day and it's a complete waste of time and money spending them to down-grade your skill gems. I can think of better ways to spend my money. The same applies to passive respec points. When I'm forced to spend one refunding a node that I will eventually put back, it's a total waste.

Ok, I can't think of a single gem that costs an orb of scouring at the vendor, so name one please. I know multistrike/gmp and the others in that reward class are more expensive than an alt, but I don't think they cost a scouring...plus you don't need those for a build to function for a few levels while you get the attributes necessary to use the gem you overleveled.

Also, LOL at needing to play all day to have enough orbs to delevel a gem.
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info