So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I posted this on Reddit yesterday evening, but figure a lot of people here won't have seen it.

You probably don't know me, but I'm the idiot that first setup the PoE Wiki and then subsequently sold it to Curse a bit later when it was going down on a daily basis thanks to my crappy shared host.

In that time, I've contributed to a pretty cool unique item (which has never dropped for me, plz fix Chris Wilson!), spent many days of my life in game and taking part in community sites and worked with some awesome community members to create the resource we've got today.

That being said, my time working with Curse is at an end, as they've decided to sever the contract I had in place with them.

The wiki is in very good hands with the current admins, who've really helped make it was it is today.
Community websites on the internet are big business, making companies like Curse, Wikia, etc hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from community contributors free work. We all as gamers deserve better, fairer community websites, and we need to support independent community contributors like XYZ, TrackPete, Emmitt, etc.

Anyway, it was great fun playing alongside a great deal of you, and working on the wiki with a lot of you. Path of Exile has been a big part of my life for almost 5 years now, and I'm pretty devastated that things have ended up this way. I'll still be around, but taking a big step back from the community moving forwards.

See you in Wraeclast, Exiles.
Last bumped on Sep 10, 2016, 1:06:43 AM
Well I'd like to be one of the first (in this thread) to wish you good luck in the future.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
thanks

also thanks for replying (wont make another post).

all questions answered, hope i read some ggg response on reddit about it soon.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Jun 16, 2016, 8:13:44 AM
"
crystalwitch wrote:
Well I'd like to be one of the first (in this thread) to wish you good luck in the future.

Thanks!

"
vio wrote:

Responding to your Q's in this thread :)

"
vio wrote:
i'm going to bump this as curse kicked the founder of the wiki from paid maintainance of the site.

first, thanks for having started the wiki at all some years ago, it was a great improvement compared to the "top linked thread regarding mechanics" which was malice's mechanics thread.

and also thanks for all the hard work to all of the people involved.

---

some questions:

why is curse cutting down on spending money on the maintenance onf the poe wiki?

does curse officially own the wiki and all of it's intellectual property cause you sold it to them at the time?

what if curse decides to take it down, is there any chance to reopen the wiki? afaik some guys working with the wiki have some sort of a backup but could it be used to restore the wiki elsewhere?

i never understood ggg's obvious ignorance of the wiki which manifest in dev comments like: "the wiki can't be trusted" or "the wiki is wrong about it".
chris once explained the lack of interest with the immense time sink the wiki can be but it can also be explained by them not having a single share or rights in this content. why?

edit: pressing thumbs for you finding your own unique item eventually ;) i think i found one in 4,5 years playing.

1. No idea, they probably think they can get away with paying someone else peanuts to cover what I was doing.
2. They own the wiki and the contents, but it is under a creative commons license that allows it's use outside of the wiki (under some conditions).
3. It wouldn't be too hard to migrate the site somewhere else.
4. I don't think GGG ever ignored it, and pointing out inaccuracies in the data or articles is a good thing. I definitely think something like this would be best under GGG's control.

Hoping I find one soon too!
Last edited by iamacyborg on Jun 16, 2016, 7:06:36 AM
I never knew the story behind the wiki beyond that it was there and someone must be maintaining it.

The wiki has been an awesome resource for as long as I can remember. A much needed replacement for the somewhat understandably neglected official "Game" section. Thank you so much for maintaining it. Always sucks when large entities can't recognize the value of people who care about their work.
Sad to see yha go man :(

Thx you so much for all your hard work, I use the wiki often when playing.

I wish yha the best and hope you did not get forced out of some bullish'nes .
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
"
Durentis wrote:
I never knew the story behind the wiki beyond that it was there and someone must be maintaining it.

The wiki has been an awesome resource for as long as I can remember. A much needed replacement for the somewhat understandably neglected official "Game" section. Thank you so much for maintaining it. Always sucks when large entities can't recognize the value of people who care about their work.

+1
Thx and GL!
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Thank you very much and good luck on your way!
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Thanks. Sorry to see you go. I guess I won't bother contributing to the wiki anymore now.
Thanks for all your hard work and dedication! It is disgusting to see all your contribution and labour end up like this at the hands of a greasy company.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info