How do I NOT die in under one sec in a boss fight??

Ok Just wondering if there is anyone able to help me get an idea of what stats I need to get to for Def (health, health regen, resists, etc) for end game maps.

Right now I was doing 70ish maps ok other then boss fights (that was before ascendancy)
Now after getting 4 points into Inquisitor or whatever its called for templar my dmg is up a lot but still I dont have the def stats to withstand any more then 2ish hits.

I know there are a lot of boss attacks that are MADE to one shot everyone but most bosses tent to hit me normally as if I have no armor or resists.

Before ascendancy I messed around with gear and had a set that took my hp up to like 5k but i had to sacrifice A LOT of damage. Also I had my resists maxed to the 70% (i have an item that drops my resist by 5% right now) but I don't know what kinda damage x,y, or z bosses will do.

any info or input thanks.

I have some screen shots of my def Tab if anyone wants it
Last bumped on Jun 15, 2016, 10:24:57 AM
Few very general suggestions regarding survivability:

Make sure your elemental resistances are capped.

Feel free to put points into resistance nodes while leveling but ideally you want to cap your resistances only with your gear and spend those skill points elsewhere.

Can't stress the importance of flasks enough! Carry and frequently make use of utility flasks. Craft them to have +% to their respective defenses (i.e. +%armor on granite flask or +%evasion on jade, this will largely boost their effectiveness). Try to roll your HP potions as "bubbling/seething" to instantly get some hp back when you use them in a pinch.

You said you are playing templar so I am guessing you probably utilize energy shield as part of your defenses. Get a vaal discipline gem, link it to increased duration, it will increase your odds of survival a lot.

Run defensive auras; discipline, grace or perhaps determination if you invested heavily in armor.

Hope this will be of help.

(Also, "Templar" forum is for build discussions, this will probably be moved elsewhere)
Last edited by krc86 on Jun 13, 2016, 5:54:34 PM
"
krc86 wrote:
Few very general suggestions regarding survivability:
Can't stress the importance of flasks enough! Carry and frequently make use of utility flasks. Craft them to have +% to their respective defenses (i.e. +%armor on granite flask or +%evasion on jade, this will largely boost their effectiveness). Try to roll your HP potions as "bubbling/seething" to instantly get some hp back when you use them in a pinch.

You said you are playing templar so I am guessing you probably utilize energy shield as part of your defenses. Get a vaal discipline gem, link it to increased duration, it will increase your odds of survival a lot.

Run defensive auras; discipline, grace or perhaps determination if you invested heavily in armor.

Hope this will be of help.

(Also, "Templar" forum is for build discussions, this will probably be moved elsewhere)

First off sorry to the mods for posting in the wrong section and also thanks for your reply.

But ya I tend to forget to do anything with flasks since if I am not fighting a boss I very very rarely need them and then since I don't crit they only help until they run out then im back to just me and my skill gem selection. So I find myself trying to find a build that wont rely on something that will in all likelihood not always be there.

I was using defensive auras for a while to get my resists capped and to help with armor before I got better gear. However once I got gear that could cap the resists I started messing with more damage aura and now curse-aura (I seem to prefer warlords due to life regen) but last i knew no boss is effected by curses so again i'm back to bosses lol

As for energy shield, no all my gear is Armor and I have my skill tree split best i could come to between fire/ele damage, Max hp, hp regen, and armor. That brings up another question i have wondered about. Is the best Def a mix of all 3 stats... Energy shield, Evasion, and armor?

I play this game off and on and really really want to play it but then i get to a point where i feel like the gameplay leaves no room for low damage tank builds, if you can not deal a massive amount of damage in a single hit you won't be able to kill the bosses since most of them only give you like 1 second to hit them before you have to run around dodging attacks (and tank builds in my mind should not have to dodge anything).... I came to that conclusion a while back when I had a marauder that had nothing but defensive stats and while he could stand toe to toe with almost everything the main storyline bosses still could one shot him so i had to still run around dodging attacks. The longest fight i had with him was the Dom fight (i was in act 2 of cruel when Dom came out so I went back to act 1 and fought him) took me just over 2 hours of smacking him in the face and I STILL had to run around and dodge a few of his attacks!!
"
soulzjd wrote:

I play this game off and on and really really want to play it but then i get to a point where i feel like the gameplay leaves no room for low damage tank builds

That is... correct.

The game is mostly about kill them before they can kill you. The closest thing to a tank is an aegis aurora build, but I have no idea how good are those now.

If you can afford a shavs http://poe.trade/search/uteukotoheatoh, low life RF is what you are looking for. There is a good guide here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/660316

For the rest, each build has its own way of surviving. Some kill from off-screen, some have high energy shield + leech, some have evasion + dodge + blocks, others rely entirely on the overpowered flasks (maintained by high dps, high clearspeed, surgeon's mod, increased flask gained, or a combination of all the above). Maybe the "classic" some armor, lots of life and 6+ endurance charges is what you are looking for.
Culler-support build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617230
Dedicated support build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1702757
"
dulahan200 wrote:

The game is mostly about kill them before they can kill you.

Well being a tank means it should take longer to kill you thus give you more time to kill them. lol

But ya I think I will simply try out some single target skill for bosses. As it is right now I clear everything else in 2 hits and that makes the game a bit boring. I want there to be some chance to die but just not in one random hit lol.

However it has been a few months since I last played and it seems the maps have been nerfed a little and the boss in the desert map must have been neutered or something since i last played lol ... he only spawned in like 3-4 mirrors of him self this time. they still hit me hard but i had time to dodge and deal damage instead of being forced to run around 24/7 during the fight lol.

The boss in the dungeon did not even put up a fight this time ether. Highest map i did before was like rare tier 2-3s but i still died to bosses. Just now I did a T6 and did fine other then a group of extra hp elemental resist mobs that all use that spark skill that randomly moves around lol. I probibly could have died less but i am tired and was not trying hard lol. and the boss killed me one time. :) I am happy with it other then the loss in xp lol.

POE has it hard in the area of balance I think... due to the fact the game allows massive nuke builds.

I enjoy it for the most part, until i randomly die and have no clue what killed me or how or what to look for the next time lol

thanks for the info though.
i dont wanna be rude or toxic but seriously with your gear and your tree everybody would die
▒█▀▀█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀   ▒█▀▄▀█ G O O D MTX Seal of Quality
▒█▄▄█ █▄▄▀ █▀▀ ▀▀█ ▀▀█   ▒█▒█▒█ O Verified by M-posting, Inc.
▒█░░░ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀   ▒█░░▒█ Y

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info