Auction House (or whatever...)

"
Dawmz wrote:
Poe.trade is not an auction house, at best you could call it a very smart trade chat parser. When people say "auction house", they really mean "offline automatic trading without human interaction". Considering the recent shifts in game design, it will probably happen in PoE sooner or later, and it will be a very sad day.

Unless someone specifically says that they mean something other than "auction house" when they say "auction house", I'm going to keep referencing it as what it is: a tool that lets you post items for sale, as well as bid and buyout items for purchase. The dot trade facilitates your ability to do all three of those things (without the convenient in game UI, as I already said), therefore, it is an auction house.

'offline' 'automatic' and 'without human interaction' are the opposite of what an AH is. I don't know how you can think people could possibly mean any of those things when talking about an AH. :o
"
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Perfect is a stretch. Thats like saying Budweiser is perfect when Guinness is on the shelf. AH would be perfect.

The only people who'd get any benefit out of an 'AH' are ones who sit and snipe/flip rather than just play the arpg. Normal players who'd like to use it occasionally get hosed over by the snipe bots and flippers.

It's the breeding ground of RMT.

No I already explained what AH prevents. The system we have now is flippers paradise. Things are not driven to what market will pay like with AH but what I can talk a noob out of one on one.

Bots you have a point. But bots are delt with by no b/o because every D3 bot played BO snipe games. So bad you could never get a deal towards the end because bots sniped within seconds of listing
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 10, 2016, 4:26:44 AM
Ya, right now is a flippers paradise is correct. People actually make there own bots which makes anyone who can't, fall behind.

Also an AH system wasn't the problem with D3. It was the implementation.
The fact that the currency was gold based. Then later making it a RMAH(real money), which made it pay to win.

Make an auction house. Gold inflation won't be an issue because the game isn't based around gold. Obviously no RMAH.
Last edited by maLcious on Jun 10, 2016, 5:19:40 AM
"
maLcious wrote:
Ya, right now is a flippers paradise is correct. People actually make there own bots which makes anyone who can't, fall behind.

Also an AH system wasn't the problem with D3. It was the implementation.
The fact that the currency was gold based. Then later making it a RMAH(real money), which made it pay to win.

Make an auction house. Gold inflation won't be an issue because the game isn't based around gold. Obviously no RMAH.

The 'problem' with the auction house was how it interacted with the item affix system and the item drop rate system, and the inferno difficulty scaling system. They crafted inferno to be a seriously high step per act of gear checking, which you could only farm from the act before it.

The AH took 95th percentile gear and made it available and affordable to players who were supposed to still be farming for 80th and 85th percentile gear. The same for 99th and 99.5th percentile gear and on and on up the curve.

That was the flaw of the AH. It messed with the psychology of progression.

The RMAH and public perception of Blizzard as a company was a whole different beast.
"
innervation wrote:

That was the flaw of the AH. It messed with the psychology of progression.

That isn't a flaw, that is a design decision. If you want to make gear hard to get, then it is bad. If you just want gear to be traded, then it is good.
"
ghoulavenger wrote:

That isn't a flaw, that is a design decision. If you want to make gear hard to get, then it is bad. If you just want gear to be traded, then it is good.

The AH wasn't a design decision though - it was a business decision. Hence why it didn't play nicely with the actual design decisions.
"
innervation wrote:
"
ghoulavenger wrote:

The AH wasn't a design decision though - it was a business decision. Hence why it didn't play nicely with the actual design decisions.

Maybe, I've not played Diablo 3, ever, so I can't say for certain. But isn't everything in Diablo 3 easily farmed, unlike in Path of Exile? It doesn't seem like it would go against the actual design decision if that were the case.
"
satanttin wrote:
Think they have mentioned they won't make an action house...

They won't make perma allocation and lockstep either...oh wait...
"I'm programmed to say something that is kind and uplifting at this point, but there is apparently an error that is working in my favor."
I never played Diablo (1 2 or 3) because of the name alone, and the story after reading about it only confirmed I'd never play it. However, it sounds like they made several horrible decisions that have NOTHING to do with the Auction House idea itself. I can't believe I'm seeing it used in any kind of argument here against having one.

ANY claim that an Auction House would detract from this genre's main drawing point being the rush of adrenaline and joy from finding a fantastic drop is NULL and VOID because this game is based on TRADING to get those fantastic drops that other people get. (and the game is balanced around this concept, as are drop rates, and everything else that makes playing self-found annoying).

Claims that bots and RMT will ruin the game's economy are way off base, because this game has no basic currency with no value of its own. This game's currency is in the form of crafting items that have intrinsic value that can also never fall below basic vendor conversion values.

I'm sorry. This game already has an auction house. The game isn't ruined. The problem is that it's outside of the game and you can't complete trades without both parties stopping their gameplay and in some cases even switching leagues, just to transfer an item that could be done through in-game interfaces that do not require anything more than offer/accept buttons whereever a person is. Automatic buyouts are an ease-of-use feature for sellers primarily, and I could see it being OPTIONAL, so if you want to haggle, don't use it, and only deal with other players that want to partake in the "trade game" where you try to get the best possible price at the expense of however long it takes you, while you're not playing the actual game.

Last edited by Zaludoz on Jun 10, 2016, 8:11:05 AM
"
Zaludoz wrote:

ANY claim that an Auction House would detract from this genre's main drawing point being the rush of adrenaline and joy from finding a fantastic drop is NULL and VOID because this game is based on TRADING to get those fantastic drops that other people get. (and the game is balanced around this concept, as are drop rates, and everything else that makes playing self-found annoying).

As a mostly self found player, believe it or not, my biggest complaint is that you can't do currency conversions. I mean there is some limited conversions but it doesn't go all the way, which means that you have to either pay exorbitant prices for what you want, or go without. That being said, the auction house here will actually be very harmful to flippers, as normalized prices will just get lowballers rolling through. Not only that but the market will be flooded with more goods, driving down demand.
"
Zaludoz wrote:

Claims that bots and RMT will ruin the game's economy are way off base, because this game has no basic currency with no value of its own. This game's currency is in the form of crafting items that have intrinsic value that can also never fall below basic vendor conversion values.

You're pointing out that gold is just a number in other games? Actually it wouldn't matter if currency were a number or not. Path of exile lets you use that currency to craft things. That alone is a natural currency sink which gives it intrinsic value. If for example there was a mob that would chaos things for you for gold, it would be much the same effect and currency would therefore still have intrinsic value. The major difference setting them apart, is the scarcity of the top tier orbs, which makes the currency have a variable value.

All that said and done, I'm still not convinced an auction house is a good or bad idea. Because here is the rub -- auction houses make it easier to acquire better gear period. This is because trading is so much easier and faster. This may cause drop rates to be lowered, which would make my life worse, as trade mostly only for currency and would probably stop doing that too if I had a better means of acquiring specific orbs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info