Mechanical Questions Thread

"
raics wrote:
"
Wazz72 wrote:
When is "full life" checked?

And is it shown on the skill's (sunder in this case) tooltip DPS?

It's checked on hit, so if you used a skill that hits continuously or after a delay (like cyclone or earthquake) you might get the bonus if your life refilled before the hit.

The tooltip will show it, you can check that one yourself.

EDIT: it is shown, you can see that for a millisec the tooltip changes, then life goes back to full ( I have high life regen) and the bonus is applied ... Good to know!
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Last edited by Wazz72 on May 17, 2017, 1:24:31 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Using Blast Rain plays it's attack animation, which includes drawing an arrow. This animation takes the attack time of the skill to complete. At the point in that animation where the arrow is realeased (which may differ slightly between classes), the skill "goes off" and starts waiting for the explosions to fall. There's a 600ms delay before the first explosions falls (which is affected by modifiers to both attack speed and projectile speed), and the falling animation takes 270ms (cannot be modified).

So different classes, with exact same gear+skills+stats conditions and player-vs-enemy positioning, may have different time between initiation and end of an attack, thus some classes can slightly outperform others in some setups? :O
FilterBlast - a web-hub with up-to-date item filters and extra features
https://filterblast.xyz
Practically, performance will be the same. The animation (attack speed) is exactly the same, but the exact moment at which the arrow is released varies very slightly. You're unlikely to notice the difference with the average Attack rate of a fully loaded Exile being so very high.

Disclaimer: going to pull numbers out of my arse to facilitate this example.
Let's say we're looking at an attack animation of 250 milliseconds, for four attacks per second. Every class will have the same amount of shots per second. However, the Ranger might release the arrow at 200ms, and the Marauder at 212ms - the Ranger would have less time before the attack lands, but more time thereafter.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Disclaimer: going to pull numbers out of my arse to facilitate this example.
Let's say we're looking at an attack animation of 250 milliseconds, for four attacks per second. Every class will have the same amount of shots per second. However, the Ranger might release the arrow at 200ms, and the Marauder at 212ms - the Ranger would have less time before the attack lands, but more time thereafter.

I understand that difference is probably unnoticable and actually can't benefit a player, but to be precise, it's still may exist, right? In your example, Ranger's arrow lands 12 ms earlier than Mara's, so enemy hit occurs then arrow lands? or landed arrow has a "lunch break" and just lies here and wait for 12 ms to pass until it will initiate the hit? :)
FilterBlast - a web-hub with up-to-date item filters and extra features
https://filterblast.xyz
Last edited by Dissolator on May 17, 2017, 12:26:40 PM
In this made-up example, the Ranger will hit the enemy 12ms before the Marauder does. The animation would match this fractional difference.
"
SUPEROUMAN wrote:
Does the Gladiator's bleed explosion work with minions?
That stat applies to Bleeding enemies you kill. If your minions kill them, then they would need to have that stat to cause the explosion, and I don't believe that's currently possible.
"
SUPEROUMAN wrote:
Do both the Gladiator's bleed explosion and montregul's explosion happen?
In a hyppothetical case where you manage to get a Zombie that has the Gladiator stat, they would both occur, yes.

"
Jintoboy wrote:
How does melee damage on full life interact with the ancestral totems?
Does the damage bonus depend on the character's life or the totems' life?
The character's. The support is granting your skill a bonus which is based on your life. The totems are using your skill - they don't have their own skill, which would have a bonus based on their life.

"
Saltizard wrote:
If you have 95% crit chance and use a blasphemy Assassin's Mark, does it allow you to bypass the 95% cap and reach 100% or will it still be caped at 95% chance anyway?
Your critical strike chance is capped to 95%, but since the modifier on Assassin's Mark doesn't modify your critical strike chance, it is seperate to that. An enemy can end up having 100% total chance to be critically struck in this case.

"
Felix35071 wrote:
Do strongboxes (explosion, ice nova, caustic cloud, etc) or totems in maps benefit from "monsters have X% increased AoE" mods?
Yes.
"
Felix35071 wrote:
Similarly, what are the differences in strongbox mods as you level? Ice Nova appears to get increased AoE the higher the monster level, are other mods affected as well?
The monsters summoned and skills used will all match the mosnter level of the area. What that scaling changes about a skill depnds on the skill, but any skill that deals damage probably deals more of it at higher levels.
"
Felix35071 wrote:
What percentage of the monster pool is made up of guest monsters?
It currently depends on difficulty, and I can't say yet what exactly will change with that in 3.0.0. Maps are 80% guest monsters, unless they have the "increased monster variety" mod.
"
Felix35071 wrote:
What is the least used combat mechanic? (or is this too broad a question?)
That's both too broad, and not really a mechanical question. I don't know much about usage data.
"
Felix35071 wrote:
Line of sight is required for many AoE skills to deal damage... This seems disjointed to me when a skill visually impacts an enemy but deals no damage. Is this required mechanically or is it a design decision?
It's mechanically necessary in order to meet the basic design requirement that you can't freely murder things on the other side of walls which have no way to get back at you.

"
sherkhan wrote:
Does Atziri's Promise add chaos damage to the fuse/fire secondary damage from the Explosive Arrow skill?
Technically it does not "add" damage, but the "Gain x% of Elemental Damage as Extra Chaos Damage during effect" mod will apply to the explosion, yes.
Facebreaker only apply to Attack type damage ? It can't be converted to elemental damage?
Last edited by TeddieJohan on May 18, 2017, 3:05:45 AM
"
Based on some testing I did in dried lakes, it appears that Shield Charge's "200% more damage at max charge distance" multiplier does not affect poison/bleed damage. Based on the wording, it sounds like it's an unrestricted "more" modifier on all damage dealt by shield charge. Compare that to Earthquake's "more" damage effect on aftershock, which is also an unrestricted "more" modifier and yet EQ double dips on poison/bleed while Shield Charge doesn't. Similarly, supporting shield charge with conc effect allows conc effect's "more" modifier to double dip on poison/bleed as well.

It seems like shield charge's actual effect is either 200% more melee damage or 200% more attack damage considering it does not double dip poison/bleed. If that's intentional, I feel like that should be specified in the tooltip.
You are incorrect about Earthquake. Aftershock Damage modifier does not apply to any DoT created by the aftershock hit - it works the same way as shield charge. Damage over Time is not an Aftershock, nor does it have a meaningful value of "charge distance" that could let it benefit from that modifier.

In 3.0.0, all such modifiers are being reviewed, and some will change to apply to DoT aplied by their hits as well, since their application to the hit no longer has a knock-on effect on ailment damage. In addition, all such stat descriptions will be being reviewed, so any modifiers like this which do not apply to Damage over Time will be more clearly described in 3.0.0.

As such, the above answer is only valid for the current state of the game, and will no longer be accurate in 3.0.0.

"
cezar_sl wrote:
If I have Fireball with 100% chance to ignite, linked with Less Duration, Increased Duration and Rapid Decay, do either of the support gems affect the Fireball or the ignite?
No. Fireball cannot be supported by those support gems (at least, not without including other supports as well), and skill effect duration modfiers do not apply to ailments such as ignite.

"
SteKrz wrote:
Lets say I use Earthquake linked to Rapid Decay and Hypothermia, and I wear Voidheart ring. Would those supports scale poison and bleed?
Rapid Decay would. Hypothermia would not, because conditional effects on the enemy do not apply to damage over time. The stat descriptions of such effects will be reworked in 3.0.0 to make it more clear they do not apply.

"
Daimonidlo wrote:
I was faced with such a problem - I wear Cospri's Will and use 2 skills supported by Item Rarity Support (Essence Drain + ... + IR and Abyssal Cry + ... + Void Manipulation + IR) at one point I realized that I have no idea how it works/interact.

I read from Bex_GGG posts

"

There is no way to decide which degeneration effect killed an enemy, so it picks the one that has been on the monster the longest. If an enemy is affected by Essence Drain, Contagion and Righteous Fire, it will pick whichever one was applied first and check the Rarity of that skill. In other words, if you want to link a degen skill with Item Rarity, ensure you use that skill first.

"

The effects of the skill will be modified by all of the supports on the attack. It is affected by the relevant supports on the skill, it isn't supported by them. The only things that can be supported are active skills and poison is not a skill.

From this I can conclude that:
If i kill enemy via Abyssal Cry explosion, loot from him will affected by IR gem, right?
Yes, it will be affected by the Item Rarity support that is supporting the Abyssal Cry skill.
"
Daimonidlo wrote:
If i kill enemy via poison (sorce of poison - Cospri's Will) from Abyssal Cry explosion, loot from him will affected only by IR from my gear, right?
No, it will still be affected by the gem, since the poison was from that skill, provided the poison is the degen that is considered to get the kill.
"
Daimonidlo wrote:
If I replace in Abyssal Cry setup Void Manipulation to Poison gem but still wear Cospri's Will will it whether it will be fix scenario (IR gem not apply) described above? Or i must use another chest in order to achieve the desired effect?
This makes no difference. What matters is that Abyssal Cry caused the poison, not why it did that.
"
Daimonidlo wrote:
If i kill enemy via Essence Drain (not hit but degen) before poison expire (sorce of poison - Cospri's Will) will be loot affected by IR gem?
In the situation you describe, you didn't kill the enemy "via Essence Drain", but via poison, and so the modifier applies. If the poison from Abyssal Cry had run out, and the only poison left was a newer one applied by Essence Drain, then Essence Drain would be the degen that killed the enemy, and the gem would need to support it to apply.
"
Daimonidlo wrote:
If monster cursed by Enfeeble whether it will doing less damage from Abyssal Cry explosion?
No, the monster is not dealing the damage.

"
SteKrz wrote:
I've seen two instances where someone say that Mark once confirmed, that support gems don't scale effects (like poison) added by items/ascendancies.
That is definitely not the case. If a skill applies poison, that poison was applied by that skill. Where the stat came from that allowed it to do so has no bearing on that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to know how spawn weight does work in PoE:
i have 2 thoughts about it:
1) you have different pools with different mods in it. So for instance to get like T1 life you should roll firstly pool of lifes, then roll T1.
2) those weights are all mapped to very big number like each mod multiplied by its weight takes some space within this number and you do something like Random(0,THAT_LARGE_NUMBER) and then check within what range it lays.
Any of those ideas is for at least correct, and if which one?

And also please does it works with sextants like the same way?

did those selections because the next 2 posts is pointless but taking space
Last edited by Xloctis on May 18, 2017, 10:46:02 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
SUPEROUMAN wrote:
Do both the Gladiator's bleed explosion and montregul's explosion happen?
In a hyppothetical case where you manage to get a Zombie that has the Gladiator stat, they would both occur, yes.

Wait a minute, so if I have Gladiator's Gratuitous Violence and use Infernal Blow I get both explosions? I always assumed you'd just get either one.
IGN Hardcore: Muppman
IGN Beyond: TheTrueAuraBitch or BlixtarOchDunder

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info