Righteous Fire

Ok so ive never done a RF build before, but i was wondering can RF itself Crit? also what nodes in the tree are the best for sustaining/out re-gening the damage RF does. And is reduced damage from DoT more effective than other methods such as Fire Res or Life Regen.? and would a few, some or many of the Reduced DoT nodes be worth picking up? Thank you for any help. ^.^
Last bumped on Aug 17, 2017, 11:56:04 AM
"
The_Feral_Dog wrote:
Ok so ive never done a RF build before, but i was wondering can RF itself Crit?

DoT can't crit, so nope.

"
also what nodes in the tree are the best for sustaining/out re-gening the damage RF does.

Regen nodes, also the +1% to max fire resistance node.

"
And is reduced damage from DoT more effective than other methods such as Fire Res or Life Regen.?

Fire res is the most important, but mostly it's all just maths. All 3 of them are great.

"
and would a few, some or many of the Reduced DoT nodes be worth picking up? Thank you for any help. ^.^

All of them would be worth picking up if they existed.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
aaaah ok thanks for the clarification. so i couldnt use rf to trigger spells on crit then. thats a shame. as for the reduced DoT taken i was referring to toxic delivery. i wasnt sure if there were any other nodes or not. but thank you for the help ^.^
RF is a DoT, DoT do not crit.

DoT that are applied by a critical hit can be indirectly affected by crit, but that is not the case of RF.

To my knowledge, here are the different way to sustain RF:

How maximum fire resist affect RF debuff in comparison with regular cap?
Fire res cap at 75%, imaging the remaining damage you take is concentrated on the remaining 25%, so if you increase your maximum fire res by 5%, the remaining 25% will become 20%, meaning you reduced RF debuff by 5/25=20% in comparison with the regular cap.

+05% max fire res => 05/25 = 20% reduced multiplicatively in comparison with the regular cap.
+10% max fire res => 10/25 = 40% reduced multiplicatively in comparison with the regular cap.
+12% max fire res => 12/25 = 48% reduced multiplicatively in comparison with the regular cap.

So you can imagine now how freaking important is Rise of the Phoenix for a RF build, it's not mandatory, but going RF without it is really restrictive.

You can get 1 max fire res from passive tree, a few from implit mod item corruption, and from some uniques, and Purity of Fire.

Life regeneration
Do not care for flat amounts, look for %life regen. It mainly comes from the passive tree, a few unique items can provide some, but since you can get high amount from the tree I wouldn't recommand using them, neither wasting an ascendancy spec on regen (if there is one).

Reduced Damage taken from Damage Over Time
Correct me if I'm wrong, I only know two sources, Leo master craft on shields and 2H, and assassin ascendancy. Either you use Leo 2H, Leo shield or unique shield, either way Leo mod will be in competition with Rise of the Phoenix unique shield.
If you do the math, Rise of the Phoenix alone is equally effective than the best Leo mod + assassin ascendancy.

lets say you have 76% max fire res (one from passives),
Phoenix : 8/24 = 33% reduction multiplicatively in comparison with the regular cap.
assassin+Leo : 20+10 = 30% reduction multiplicatively

at its worst phoenix=Leo+assassin, except that you can get phoenix + assassin + implicit corrupt mods + purity of fire

You can do math all day long, Phoenix is the way to go to sustain RF easily. Again you can manage an RF build without it, it will just be more restrictive regarding your passive tree and items.

maximum fire resistance resistance come with great increasing returns, the more you get the mor each % point reduce the damage. (as fast example, at 96% getting 1% max would divide the damage by 4 whereas at 98% getting an identical 1% max would halve the damage entirely => better piling up max fire resist)

How much life regen do I need?
Here are a few scenarios, that's how you plan how much life regen you are going to need (from good to bad scenario):

If you plan on using Rise of the Phoenix, the 1% from tree, 5% Purity of Fire, 36% effect of auras:
75+8+1+5+(5*0.36)=90.8% fire resist => 0.092 multiplier,
90*0.092 = 8.28%
You will need 8.28% life regen,

If you plan on using Rise of the Phoenix, the 1% from tree, 4% Purity of Fire:
88% fire resist => 0.12 multiplier,
90*0.12 = 10.8%
You will need 10.8% life regen,

If you can't afford Rise of the Phoenix and decide to use Saffell's Frame, the 1% from tree, 4% Purity of Fire:
84% fire resist => 0.16 multiplier,
90*0.16 = 14.4%
You will need 14.4% life regen,

If you can't afford Rise of the phoenix and decide to use Leo mod on your shield or 2H, the 1% from tree, 4% Purity of Fire:
80% fire resist => 0.2 multiplier,
20% Leo mod => 0.8 multiplier, (best Leo mod)
90*0.2*0.8 = 14.4%
You will need 14.4% life regen,

If you can't affort a unique shield, got the lowest Leo mod, the 1% from tree, 4% Purity of Fire, 25% effect of auras:
75+1+4+(4*0.25)=81% fire resist => 0.19 multiplier
10% Leo mod => 0.9 multiplier
90*0.19*0.9 = 15.4%
You will need 15.4% life regen

Without Rise of the Phoenix, the required regen will range between 12-15%,
With Rise of the Phoenix, the required regen will range between 8-12%,

Geting 4% regen when you already have 8% is no joke, so Rise of the Phoenix is a must have
Last edited by EnafAequi on Jun 7, 2016, 10:06:33 AM
can safely assume you are a righteous fire god. Thank you for the help. and the math with explanation. really appreciated. ^.^
You can use Fragile Blossom at high fire resistance too. But you lost tankness against other sources.

Example:

with 80% Fire Ress
90% x 0,2 = 18%

with 1 Fragile Blossom
90% x 1,1 = 99%
99% x 0,2 = 19,8% (but you regen +2%, so you need only 17,8%)

With 5 FB and 88% Fire Ressistance
90% x 1,5 = 135%
135% x 0,2 = 16,2% - 10% = 6,2%

The advantage is that you don´t must build a crap skill tree, because u need not all Life Regen passives (only some Gem Slots)
What increases the damage more? burning damage, elemental, fire, aoe? there are loads of options :/.
"
The_Feral_Dog wrote:
What increases the damage more? burning damage, elemental, fire, aoe? there are loads of options :/.

All of the numbers on all 4 of those sources will be exactly the same increase in damage if the number is the same.

In the tree, the increased burning damage cluster has the highest values, so probably go for that if you're close. But if you're self-casting RF instead of running RF totems, the most important thing for increasing damage is increasing your max life. And the second most important thing for clearspeed, after life, is area of effect. (not aoe damage, but increased radius of area skills)
Last edited by codetaku on Jun 8, 2016, 9:58:12 AM
does increasing the damage effect you in anyway and the damage you take? aoe size sounds good tho ill make sure to spec into the amplify section near the templar. thanks man ^.^
"
The_Feral_Dog wrote:
does increasing the damage effect you in anyway and the damage you take?

It used to, a long time ago. It doesn't anymore, thank goodness.
Last edited by codetaku on Jun 8, 2016, 10:18:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info