[3.3] Sherkhan's Ex On Fire [EA Elementalist | budget | HC viable | Uber I/A & Shaper viable]

"
kssyu wrote:
I am planning to run Elementalist EA as well on the new temp league. I would definitely put on GMP. The prolif range is just not far enough. After doing some short testing, I was able to clear screens and beyond with 1 shot most of the time. Old EA builds couldn't reach mobs behind the front line which significantly slows clear speeds. Now you can just fire a volley and the whole screen will just melt. 2 Shots was enough to wreck 60% fire res + enfeeble maps.

I don't think it's necessary to reinvent the wheel. Currently you clear slower than old EA builds. With Conflux and prolif, your clear speed will be insane just by using the old formula.

With my setup, I can avoid taking about 10-15 points of DPS nodes on the tree. GMP looks better when you're in low level areas, but the lack of DPS is striking when you're doing high quantity red maps.

Tested extensively with both.
a few thoughts from someone who has never played elementalist or explosive arrow before :

1. i really dislike the fact that you have to level as something else, rather than picking up a quill rain + EA whenever you can.

i levelled up with fireball > freezing pulse till lvl 10, bladevortex till i could equip quill rain + shrapnel shot, till i could equip earthquake. i had an incinerate setup on hand to deal with tough mobs (oh boy incinerate is AWESOME).

i finally swapped to firestorm at lvl 46 because mobs were getting significantly harder to kill with just earthquake.

used firestorm till lvl 61, when i finished cruel lab and put on my EA setup.

IS there a DECENT levelling setup that you can recommend? firestorm is sorta weak-ish at start, compared to other options.

2. atm im using EA + fire pen + conc effect + less dur + faster attacks + slow proj.

do you think giving up tabula is worth losing the 6th link? i cannot afford a 6L atm, a 5L is all i can prolly manage.

3. i have 3.2k life and i feel squishy...

should i sacrifice the duelist area and build up on life nodes in other places?
also, HOW do you scale up your damage?
also, how does EE work for you? wont it give the mob extra fire resistance? since you're hitting it with all the 3 types of dmg?

4. how to deal with early mapping?
it swings between really easy and really hard. the endgame trials are a PITA to do. i lose life too much :( im actually considering using a LL gem

my main problem happens thus :
i run up ahead, and see a pack of mobs. by the time i;ve reacted to them, they're on top of me. now im losing HP doubly fast since im getting hit and im using my skill.

the WORST offenders are the stupid goatman things.

nice guide. im tempted to take this char to 90+ for the achieve :D
also, im unable to kill Rakangos in Kaom's area in Merciless. i;ve died ~15 times trying to kill one. or heck, any monster which has "elemental resist" is extremely hard to damage.
"
1. i really dislike the fact that you have to level as something else, rather than picking up a quill rain + EA whenever you can.

I hate leveling as non-end game skills as well. However, EA simply doesn't work until you have Tabula + EE + Conflux + Beacon. The GMP version is painfully slow compared to just using Firestorm for the same tree.

"
i levelled up with fireball > freezing pulse till lvl 10, bladevortex till i could equip quill rain + shrapnel shot, till i could equip earthquake. i had an incinerate setup on hand to deal with tough mobs (oh boy incinerate is AWESOME).

"
i finally swapped to firestorm at lvl 46 because mobs were getting significantly harder to kill with just earthquake.

used firestorm till lvl 61, when i finished cruel lab and put on my EA setup.

IS there a DECENT levelling setup that you can recommend? firestorm is sorta weak-ish at start, compared to other options.

I was also trying this out for the first time. I'll add a leveling section now in the main guide.

What I did was take only damage nodes at the start (Fire damage at Witch), and used Firestorm in a 4L (conc, faster, firepen) with a random spell dmg staff to demolish content until mid-cruel. Then I pathed down all the way towards Blood Magic. Right after Cruel lab, I specced out of the fire nodes into BM and started using EA. By then, I'd also generated enough currency to buy Tabula (through Humilities).

"
2. atm im using EA + fire pen + conc effect + less dur + faster attacks + slow proj.

do you think giving up tabula is worth losing the 6th link? i cannot afford a 6L atm, a 5L is all i can prolly manage.

Slower Projectile is bad, because lower IPS = lower clear speed. Use Life Leech instead.

"
3. i have 3.2k life and i feel squishy...
should i sacrifice the duelist area and build up on life nodes in other places?
also, HOW do you scale up your damage?
also, how does EE work for you? wont it give the mob extra fire resistance? since you're hitting it with all the 3 types of dmg?

A couple of things I might not have mentioned earlier - but are very important.

You need a little bit of added cold or lightning damage on your gear somewhere. Do NOT get added fire dmg on your gear. This means that EE procs to give reduced fire resist when your fuses hit, so the explosion is vs -50% fire res. After the explosion, the monster is taking fire dmg (not cold, light - shock and chill are ailments, not damage types), so it gets fire res. The fire res is reduced again as soon as you hit it with another fuse.

Damage is scaled with gems and EE.... and corrupts. Having +1 arrow gear improves your AOE a lot. I did uber lab with a +1 quiver that cost me 2 chaos on the market. Pick up a cheap anything that doesn't have fire damage on it.

Do not sacrifice Duelist. It feels like a trek, but the regen from there keeps you alive. Also (I'll fix the original post), since Life Leech is a perma part of my setup now, Hematophagy gives +8% max life leeched per second for three points along the way, which is great for the setup.

Defense is massively boosted with a "Stone Golem" enchant helm. Get one as soon as you can - it'll double your regen from the golem.

"
4. how to deal with early mapping?
it swings between really easy and really hard. the endgame trials are a PITA to do. i lose life too much :( im actually considering using a LL gem

Definitely use LL gem. Focus on getting important regen nodes and HP nodes mid-game. Most of my Cruel points were spent towards stupid pathing points outlining the tree. Merci was all about getting the meat.

"
my main problem happens thus :
i run up ahead, and see a pack of mobs. by the time i;ve reacted to them, they're on top of me. now im losing HP doubly fast since im getting hit and im using my skill.

the WORST offenders are the stupid goatman things.

Use a Decoy Totem for the period where you feel squishy. I'll put this in the main guide.

"
nice guide. im tempted to take this char to 90+ for the achieve :D

I hit 90s super fast. This is easily the cheapest OP character I've made ;> For reference, I did first three Izzos while below his level, and did L80 lab uber Izzo when I was L80. Map trials are a walk in the park. This is coming from someone whose computer freezes up constantly, so I used to die in Normal lab with a L90 ES character.

"
also, im unable to kill Rakangos in Kaom's area in Merciless. i;ve died ~15 times trying to kill one. or heck, any monster which has "elemental resist" is extremely hard to damage.

Rakangos feel the worst while leveling. I didn't realize how much fire res they had till I leveled this character. Thankfully, they're a breeze once you hit end-game. Also, Merci A4 zones are overtuned intentionally - most people don't bother going through those areas till they've hit L80+.
Last edited by sherkhan on Jun 16, 2016, 10:11:32 AM
"
sherkhan wrote:

Also, perma-ignite and prolif actually reduce your reflect risk a lot (since you're blowing up one enemy, not five+).

Do you realise that you will have higher damage (afaik) in single target so if u are facing just 1 enemy which is a rare with reflect, you will destroy yourself compared to a GMP build?
"
JamesWorth wrote:
"
sherkhan wrote:
Also, perma-ignite and prolif actually reduce your reflect risk a lot (since you're blowing up one enemy, not five+).

Do you realise that you will have higher damage (afaik) in single target so if u are facing just 1 enemy which is a rare with reflect, you will destroy yourself compared to a GMP build?

Yes, I realize I have higher single target (so I spend less time at bosses).

No, I do not die to reflect (I hit the white mobs around them).

I'm amused that your criticism is that I do too much damage. And others claim I don't do enough.
"
sherkhan wrote:
"
JamesWorth wrote:
"
sherkhan wrote:

Yes, I realize I have higher single target (so I spend less time at bosses).

No, I do not die to reflect (I hit the white mobs around them).

I'm amused that your criticism is that I do too much damage. And others claim I don't do enough.

Well, I meant with a single arrow against a single enemy. We can do higher amounts of dmg with GMP because multiple arrows (their explosions) can hit the same target
Last edited by JamesWorth on Aug 23, 2016, 5:31:02 PM
Updated with 2.4 vids.
What is your backup for ignite immune bosses? I'd like to respec my fireball elementalist to EA and ideally use the character to finish Atlas but I've read that endgame features a number of ignite immune bosses.
"
Bawtzki wrote:
What is your backup for ignite immune bosses? I'd like to respec my fireball elementalist to EA and ideally use the character to finish Atlas but I've read that endgame features a number of ignite immune bosses.

I used to carry a Ngamahu and a LL gem swap around, but I've been able to kill T15 Haath (unignitable) with little problem. All I miss out on is some damage and leech.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info