[3.3] Sherkhan's Ex On Fire [EA Elementalist | budget | HC viable | Uber I/A & Shaper viable]

Developed in 2.3, this build became even more OP in 2.4 (thanks to Eye of Innocence).

Concept

EA allows you to stack five fuses for one of the highest single-hit abilities in the game. Ignite is an ailment that scales best off a high hit (since only the highest instance of Ignite applies). Most generic EA builds dilute the damage potential of EA by using GMP, which reduces the effective burn damage. This build works to scale the single hit damage while maintaining AOE clear speeds. Along the way, I utilize mechanics from different unique items in the game.

EA allows you to stack upto five fuses onto a monster. The fuses will set off for a total of (dmg per fuse) x (number of fuses) damage after a fuse delay period. The base delay is 1s. Most builds will stack at most 1 fuse per mob, as their attack time (even with Quill Rain), will be about 0.33s. In addition, they either go RT (missing out on EO's 40% more damage), or have low acc (i.e. fuses rarely stick/stack). My setup gets high ACC/crit chance through minimal investment, and uses Faster Attacks to ensure a attack time of below 0.2s. With an average key depress time of 0.4-0.45s (which is normal for any POE attack), you'll get 2 fuses per press instead of 1 - i.e. you'll be doing 2x the damage of a regular EA setup. This fast attack setup also allows me to essentially "spray" the field, and AOE from a cheap +1 quiver and Elemental Proliferation from Beacon take care of the rest. Check the videos to see what I mean. Using Conc in the setup instead of GMP is another effective 2x multiplier - which goes a long way towards explaining why this build doesn't face the usual single-target issues generic EA players complain about.

In 2.4, Eye of Innocence allowed me to offload life leech to the amulet slot. In combination with Mokou's and a high rate of ignite (due to fast fuse deployment and 50%+ chance to ignite from gear+tree), I'm permanently ignited for ~8 damage per second. Being ignited gives me +2% life leech from fire damage, +60% fire damage, and +20% attck speed.

For defense, this build gets ets -8% fire damage taken through the Eye + Paragon combination, has two golems permablinding everything, has "on hit" regen (boots) and chill (gloves) effects procced by Eye - all of this on top of a high HP stack with regen that's normal for EA builds.

This build allows you to start cheaply in a new league (or as a HC character) with extremely cheap gear that allow you to do T16 content, but has room to improve damage and HP as you gain more currency in-game. With league-start gear, you'll be flowing smoothly through all map mods (except Elemental Reflect). With expensive gear, you'll be killing T16 bosses in seconds. I've tried this in HC - it's extremely easy to level and play end-game on. With an extremely high move speed, high HP stack, overcapped resists despite only two rares, and high damage, it's a pretty close competitor to the more expensive builds out there.

Videos

Teasers:T15 Kaom Kill; T13 Waterways; T14 Springs; T14 Promenade
Powerpoint: Ex on Fire. T14 Twinned Run to Boss

Tree & Ascendancy

L92 Tree

This tree focuses on getting jewel nodes in preparation for the shift to Grand Spectrum. For a HC variation, you'd take fewer jewel nodes (avoiding the two below Scion), and spec more into HP (take the Scion HP wheel and the several 5% nodes off the current tree). It's easy to use placeholder HP/dmg jewels and clear T16s, but if you really want to avoid jewels, you can stretch into the projectile damage nodes at Duelist and the subsequent HP/regen nodes, as well as the fire damage cluster north of Mara.

Regarding keystones: EE will give -50% fire resist to monsters with a smidge of cold/light attack on your rings. Yes, the burn will face +25% fire resist, but it's rarely an issue (and can easily be removed with another spray if so. EO gives +40% more damage, and is always on due to the acc/crit from Ice Golem. BM gives access to the high +%HP nodes behind it, and ensures that mana drain is never a concern.

Ascendancy

Elementalist is easily the best choice for this build, as it offers AOE, reflect mitigation, reduced damage taken, and golem buffs. Strangely, Conflux/Shaper is the least useful - aside from leveling. Champion and Berserker are fine, but they're much lower damage for not that much more upside defensively.

Normal (L30 on HC): Shaper of Desolation. The rolling ailments from Conflux will be beneficial while leveling, and the occasional deep shock is a nice freebie end-game.

Cruel (L45 on HC): Beacon of Ruin. Elemental Proliferation from this node enables AOE for the EA setup.

Merci (L53 on HC): Liege of the Primordial. +% fire damage from Fire and inc acc/crit chance from Ice. Also, it's helpful to not have the golems die to anything elemental, while two golems will permablind faster than one.

Uber (L75 on HC): Paragon of Calamity. -50% reduced reflect damage taken ensures that errant arrows don't kill you. +40% fire damage and -8% reduced fire damage taken are always on due to the Eye interaction.

Gear

I've linked my current (near)end-game setup, and mention the cheaper alternatives in the comments. Certain combinations should be obvious (i.e. you can drop Wyrmsign when you upgrade to a 6L Quill), but ask in the comments if you have questions. The higher of certain price ranges reflect league-start prices.

For reference, I started chaining T15/16s at the end of the first week of 2.4 using the following setup: unlinked Quill (5c), EA in Wyrmsign with LL instead of LD (1c), +1 rare quiver (10c), and rares for the rest of my gear (i.e. no Devoto/Eye/Mokou/RearGuard/SevenLeague).

In terms of buying order for expensive items: +1 shitty quiver (10c), then Eye of Innocence(20c-3ex), then +1 quill (3ex)

Rare HP (1c) -> Devoto (5c-30c) -> Devoto with IceGolem/EAradius enchant (50c). HC Devoto with StoneGolem enchant (50c).

Quill (1c-10c) -> +1 Quill (1-3ex) -> 6L Quill (7-10ex) -> 6L +1 Quill (100ex)

HP 4L (1c) -> Wyrmsign 4L (1c-5c) -> Wyrmsign 4L Ele Weak (1ex) -> Rare HP/Atk/AR/Eva Ele Weak (1ex) [when you have a linked Quill; prior to that a +1 Quill and Wyrmsign is better]

Movespeed rare (1c) -> 30% movespeed HP rare (2c) -> 50% movespeed Seven League (1 ex). HC 30% movespeed 80+ HP DEX rare with res.

Rare HP (1c) -> Eye of Innocence (20c-3ex)

+1 shitty quiver (10c) -> +1 Rearguard (3ex)

HP rare (1c) -> Kaoms (60c-3ex)

Rare HP (1c) -> Mokou (1c) (when you get Eye)

Rare HP/ACC/Res. Ensure some flat light/cold damage on this.

Rare HP / Res.

Gems

Wyrmsign: Explosive Arrow + Faster Attacks + Fire Penetration + Less Duration (+ Conc from the gloves)

6L: EA + FA + FP + LD + Conc + Rapid Decay / L3/4 Empower

4L: CWDT L20 + Fire Golem + Ice Golem (Stone Golem in HC) + Blind

4L: CWDT L1 + Vortex + Frost Wall + Inc AOE

4L: Blink Arrow + Cull + IIR; Decoy Totem

Leveling

Start off with Freezing Pulse, and exit towards EO using the spell damage nodes at Witch (these are the only nodes you'll need to respec later). When you get Firestorm as a quest reward, use it in a 4L with Conc, Controlled Destruction, and Elemental Focus (until you get Conflux). Path around EO, then down to BM (don't take EE until you start on EA). If you're on HC, you can play this super safe with MoM, AA, and some -manacost rings or Praxis for additional defense. Make sure to purchase EA and other end-game support gems (Less Duration, Faster Attacks) when you hit L28. Switch to EA after you've completed Cruel Izaro for Beacon/EP, and have a +1 quiver and Quill to equip. At that point, respec the spell dmg nodes at Witch, take off MoM if you've taken it, and put a point in EE (make sure you have some flat cold/light but no fire dmg on gear).

Previous 2.3 Writeup

[Brief notes for the Reddit crowd]

2.3 run to T14 boss [first video that's not a powerpoint]

2.3 run to T12 double boss wearing a Tabula

2.3 run to T14 boss (+life, -maxres, +fire, vuln) wearing a Tabula

Old 2.2 proof of concept: run to boss on T11 unid. I did this with 5 gems in my 6L Quill, and ran without a quiver. Just shows viability with imperfect gear.

Concept

Generate a high DPS five-stack on a single target as fast as possible, debuff as we all do with EE, let Conflux maximize burn damage, let Beacon clear the screen. The playstyle is simple, fast, and tanky.

From what I've seen, vanilla EA almost always utilized the GMP gem for AOE, and either scales the initial hit (through AOE modifiers), or scales burn (through ignite modifiers). I've played several variations of EA over the different ascendancy classes, and I think single-shot Elementalist provides the best balance of single-target and AOE clearance.

The s"etup enables Concentrated Effect (since the downside doesn't affect the AOE, it's a huge dmg multiplier). Basically I can five-stack in about a second, and it takes another 0.49s (after less duration) for the blast to go off. Unlike other EA builds, I don't need to pause and curse and watch the mobs slowly burn down - the melt is near instant on everything that's not a boss.

Other than the higher damage output, this is a pretty basic EA setup (same gear, same BM reliance). However, it demolishes content for a much cheaper gearing cost than anything else I've seen, and allows you to add to the setup as you generate cash in a league. You can start with Tabula and a cheap +1 quiver, and end with a 6L +1 Quill, Kaom, and a set of Grand Spectrum jewels.

Setup

L90 Tree.

This can be easily modified to get 10 jewel slots (and dump the fire/ele dmg nodes), should Grand Spectrum out to be a cheap jewel. The modified version is much tankier than what Fyndel is shooting for.

Bandits: Kill, Kill, Kill [or Oak, Kraityn, Kraityn, if you don't have re-roll angst]

Ascendancies: Shaper (Normal), Beacon (Cruel), Liege (Merci), Paragon/Calamity (Later)

Gear: Devoto's Devotion, Warped Timepiece. Either 6L Quill + Kaom or +1 Quill + Tabula/Lightning Coil (you'll be fine with shitty Quill + Tabula + +1 quiver - I did uber lab with this setup at L80). Rings, Belts, Gloves, Boots all rares with HP and res (30% movespeed on boots). No +3 swap needed for single-target though, so it's cheaper to set up. Definitely get a cheap +1 arrow quiver earlier. End-game quiver is likely a +1 Rearguard or a hefty +1 HP/res thing.

Enchants/corrupts: Necessary - Stone Golem Effect on helm, +1 on quiver. Nice to have - fire leech on amulet, aoe on belt, movespeed / crit chance / leech on boots, +1 on quill.

Golems: Fire Golem + Stone Golem.

Gems: 6L (in order) EA + Fire Pen + Concentrated Effect + Less Duration + Life Leech + Faster Attacks / L4 Empower | 4L Golem + Stone Golem + CWDT + Blind | 4L L1CWDT + Ball Lightning + CoH + Enfeeble | 4L CWDTL1 + ICL3 + ID20/20 + Decoy Totem L20/20

Last edited by sherkhan on May 29, 2018, 1:19:17 AM
Last bumped on Jun 1, 2018, 9:12:18 AM
No ele prolif gem? I was told that beacon doesnt scale with iaoe gem and nodes from tree
"
Completed 13 ChallengesMasonic_ wrote:
No ele prolif gem? I was told that beacon doesnt scale with iaoe gem and nodes from tree

Beacon is unaffected by the AOE modifiers from the gems I use - so Concentrated Effect doesn't reduce the AOE. However, the 12 base units (9 currently) will be modified by global AOE mods from the tree and gear (if you choose to go Carcass).

Tested it in Standard, and there's a clear difference in the Beacon AOE between +0% from tree and +45% from tree+gear. In 2.3, the base AOE will be +33% current AOE, which bodes well.

Also, the EP gem has a "less damage" modifier, in addition to taking up a DPS gem slot - you get effectively ~35% less damage using it.
I'm so torn between Berserker and Elementalist.

I play only (P)HC, if reflect wasn't a real issue I'd go with berserker, free leech, more damage, movement speed, it is an easy choice but with reflect in the game the 50% less damage from reflect is very sexy and ofc the free prolif but I really don't need it, without prolif everything explode very fast and with frostwall single target is not a problem.

Decisions decisions!
"
oRieLLi wrote:
I'm so torn between Berserker and Elementalist.

I play only (P)HC, if reflect wasn't a real issue I'd go with berserker, free leech, more damage, movement speed, it is an easy choice but with reflect in the game the 50% less damage from reflect is very sexy and ofc the free prolif but I really don't need it, without prolif everything explode very fast and with frostwall single target is not a problem.

Decisions decisions!

Check my character tab - I tried this as Berserker as well (Sherkhan_Soulstriker). Berserker felt way slower in terms of high map clears, despite having LL in my gems as Elementalist vs Empower as Berserker.

Also, perma-ignite and prolif actually reduce your reflect risk a lot (since you're blowing up one enemy, not five+).
Hey shekhan I'm thinking about building something really close to this build in Prophecy however I have no idea how it'll clear, if it's going to be realible at all, so can you please record a fast video of you clearing through any content?

The other choice would be slayer EA GMP because of the huge AOE and damage bonuses...
"
Completed 6 Challengeslukezamboni wrote:
Hey shekhan I'm thinking about building something really close to this build in Prophecy however I have no idea how it'll clear, if it's going to be realible at all, so can you please record a fast video of you clearing through any content?

The other choice would be slayer EA GMP because of the huge AOE and damage bonuses...

Posted a shitty quality video of a T11 Springs Map for a Reddit post - it's linked up top. Pick a map, and I'll record a video where I'm actually paying attention.
"
Completed 2 Challengessherkhan wrote:
Posted a shitty quality video of a T11 Springs Map for a Reddit post - it's linked up top. Pick a map, and I'll record a video where I'm actually paying attention.

Thank you! It can be a Gorge or Plateau, doesn't matter, just to see how well prolif works with the burning damage ^^

Edit: Maybe atziri would be nice too!
Last edited by lukezamboni on Jun 2, 2016, 3:38:16 PM
@sherkhan,

I'm not sold on not using GMP. There is already SO MUCH damage I think it'll clear way faster. I don't have time to record a video but I think my EA Ascendant from Perandus (TaylorEA) would out-clear that Springs speed. It uses Frost Wall for single target.

I'm really excited to try this build out tomorrow. Luckily it will be easy to switch back and forth between GMP depending on which feels better.
Last edited by BearsAreBrown on Jun 2, 2016, 6:39:00 PM
I am planning to run Elementalist EA as well on the new temp league. I would definitely put on GMP. The prolif range is just not far enough. After doing some short testing, I was able to clear screens and beyond with 1 shot most of the time. Old EA builds couldn't reach mobs behind the front line which significantly slows clear speeds. Now you can just fire a volley and the whole screen will just melt. 2 Shots was enough to wreck 60% fire res + enfeeble maps.

I don't think it's necessary to reinvent the wheel. Currently you clear slower than old EA builds. With Conflux and prolif, your clear speed will be insane just by using the old formula.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info