Next James Bond might be a female

I think it will suck if so :(
Last bumped on May 31, 2016, 5:23:52 PM
I hope she sucks.:P
Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

some people think I'm sexist for saying that, but I would say the same if they would make a remake of Alien and instead of having Ellen Ripley as main character they would have a random guy.

I think beloved classic characters shouldn't be changed like that. Ghosbusters will be an horror and so will be 007 if they pick a woman.
Bond. Jane Bond.
"
diablofdb wrote:
some people think I'm sexist for saying that, but I would say the same if they would make a remake of Alien and instead of having Ellen Ripley as main character they would have a random guy.

This is an interesting example because the original Alien's script was written with none of the characters' genders specified. Ripley could have been male or female, depending on who got the part.

I like this idea though because unlike the Alien movies, James Bond has always been written as an idealized male power fantasy.

Placing a woman in that role would require a serious re-evaluation of the character, which honestly feels overdue at this point.

The series has had a problem with women from the beginning, but even recently Daniel Craig called Bond a misogynist. This would force them to confront that fact and hopefully modernize Bond a bit. In a way that wasn't making him more grim and serious of course.

"
diablofdb wrote:
I think beloved classic characters shouldn't be changed like that.

James Bond has already been through several different actors, so there's really no point in drawing the line now. The worst that could happen is a bad Bond movie, which is hardly anything new at this point. On the other hand we could get a result like Lucy Liu in Elementary or Michelle Rodriguez in Doctor Who and end up with a really interesting take on the character.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
"
diablofdb wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

I think beloved classic characters shouldn't be changed like that. Ghosbusters will be an horror and so will be 007 if they pick a woman.

Having a different person play Ripley would be weird and bad, I agree.

But if it is already a different person, then why does it matter if they are male or female?
What if the person was taller than Sigourney Weaver? What if they were a different race? What if they were younger? It's all pretty irrelevant.

I remember a few years ago some fool posted about how they couldn't play as the witch because she was female. I found it pretty hard to understand how someone could be comfortable playing the marauder (giant hulking brown-skinned warrior with huge muscles and a gruff voice) and also feel comfortable as the Shadow (skinny, pasty-white nerd with a sarcastic voice), but yet feel uncomfortable playing the witch (skinny pasty-white nerd with a sarcastic voice but slightly different imaginary genitals).
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
About Ripley - it's just that Sigourney Weaver is an amazing actress. She had such a strong performance, we don't want to see anyone else in her place.

About Bond - honestly, his movies are so weak, I don't care what they do with him. Although I agree it would be silly to call it a Bond movie with a female actress. Just make her another 007 with the same functions as Bond and go from there.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
You don't have to genderflip the character to get a female 007 when 007 is essentialy a job position. There has been several 006s and 009s for example and M is under no obligation to "preserve the gender" when looking for the next agent to hire for a position made vacant.

Same thing with Ghostbusters really. The problem with it (from what I can tell of the trailers) lies with the flavour of the movie, and certainly not with the idea of females carrying on the ghostbusting enterprise.

I don't think any of these cases are even comparable to a straight R63 male Ellen Ripley wich I *would* be against, as it brakes internal consistency.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
If they're doing it because "women should have their turn", then it's doomed to fail.

If they're doing it because "we want to push the limits of 007's character", then it might not fail.

If they're doing it because "this villain is awesome and check out this sweet car and this cellphone is also a gun and who cares what gender 007 is", it'll be great.
I'd watch it if the star was Sandi Toksvig.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info