Survivability on a Frenzy Tank?

So, Last league (I suppose it's not over yet, but, eh), finally had enough Patience to get a melee Frenzy char high enough level for it to start being fun ( terrible DPS at start, mid level bows were better).
And it's pretty darn survivable with just about 3k health. Well, up to Tier 6 maps, mostly.

So, I could theorycraft all I want, I'm really good at that, but then I'll be bored of the char before I even play it again, so I'll ask:

Current Tree, Level 68, probably some passives left
Any suggestions on how to improve the life situation? Between 74% dodge, decent Evasion, and Stibnite Flasks, the char is incredibly tanky, but it just so happens to be oneshot by some bosses, if they hit.
Let's not speak of physical spells.

I wondered if a new iteration in the Prophecy League could benefit from going dualwielding, or Sword and Board, despite the block penalty on Acrobatics.
Obviously, with at best ~13k dps, it's slow, so I might not even retry on Prophecy, but who knows, maybe I'll find that one item that makes me want to try.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on May 28, 2016, 11:15:33 AM
Last bumped on May 29, 2016, 8:16:46 PM
3000 life is not a tank. That is what you have in act2-3 merciless while leveling.
No items linked??
got 3k life in act3 cruel on my caustic lvl 52 :)
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
I know, it's not quite what I wanted it to be.
I more or less quit playing it to to slow progress (though I didn't really die much).
Items

Now that I'm looking at it in detail, some of the gear is outright shitty. I guess I could comfortably get more life on a ring and the belt slot, and the low roll Goldrim (first unique I found in that league) could use replacing with a decent resist helmet that'll likely also have life on it.
Also with current equip it's only 2.7k life. ^^
Turns out I also have 9 passives left over, so I could comfortably reach the Constitution cluster; The question is: Is that the best way to improve the situation?
Because right now the char is a glass cannon without cannon, and if I'll revisit the concept next league it'll need something.... not sure exactly what, besides more wealth.

Edit: I suppose if someone would plan with very high end content (definitely past the level 70 I mostly plan, or the level 80 I occasionally play), Avatar of Phasing could be substituted for the current Hyrris, using a health item, or Kaoms, or just a Lightning Coil (even got the latter, but, eh).
Then at least in theory it has potential, even though I won't reach it.
Edit2: Any hints for comparing a few dozen stashtabs with current equip, short of putting them all on sale?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on May 28, 2016, 4:06:29 PM
Thanks for linking those!
You have 50 life in total across both rings, no life on Amulet, no life on chest, and no life on boots. Pretty clear why your life is so low I think. I know your dodge/frenzy build relies on Hyrri's + Darkray, so your life is always going to be low, but you really need to get a life amulet and decent life on rings ASAP. If you do end up going 1-hand, there's an extra source of life from your shield too.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
personally i'd use frenzy to gain frenzy charges/fortify and choose a different main attack that already does aoe (ice crash) or a slightly stronger single target attack (perhaps one with a more colorful attk :D).

using pure frenzy as attack isn't the worst but you can squeeze more dps out of other things and isn't as mana intensive. i want to say most players don't like where the melee splash gem is at right now either.

(i'm posting this as the best defense is a strong offense :D)

you're fairly close to some good enough life/ev nodes as well. at 60 i also start thinking strongly about survival.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIBAABeBS0FZgW1BfkILgzyDY0V8BcmGY4brSPTI_YknTBxMgE6Qj7PQdBDMUd-Sn1LeEz_TZJOKlO7VP5aGluvXkVh62JaYqxlTWegbIxvJ3TtelN6hHrvexR9dYTZhO-Haod2ivCNfY2_kAqQbJLzlLiVzJpqmyabjZ2qo4qly6knqZSwq7IZtMW9Nr3mvqe_1cLswzPEgs960K3TftQj2sHdqOCf45_pRu0_7YPuDu96-WP66_zF_ro=

little tweaks to gear as mentioned above and i want to say that's plenty to survive a lot of the beginning end game content.
Last edited by CryingGods on May 28, 2016, 5:52:27 PM
Thanks for the confirmation; Yeh, it needs better gear. Sadly, an amulet with physical damage (must have with frenzy), a good life roll, and corrupted with a frenzy charge, is is obviously not cheap. Well, maybe I get lucky next league.

@CryingGods One one hand, true, but on the other, that would require a not insignificant investment in offensive nodes. I currently have a combined 43% attack speed and 74% increased 2h physical damage;
+30% each with 10 charges.
The frenzy itself adds 50% each that I'd have to compensate for.
Though I agree that it isn't an optimal solution for offence, barring a helmet enchantment.
Maybe I'll go with Double Strike or Sunder or something if I ever try this again.

Edit: And that's exactly what this is about: Do I go for the Constitution Cluster, or I just gobble up all the life/eva nodes nearby, and whatever else I can get my hands on.
After all, evasion also mitigates damage. ^^ I think I personally prefer the mixed nodes nearby, just as you do, but I wanted to gather some feedback.
Zaanus:

___
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on May 28, 2016, 6:03:30 PM
Planning to do a frenzy melee raider toon myself in Prophecy. Mine is crit-claw with vaal pact, with a +1 frenzy darkrays, at the moment, the only endgame gear I'm gunning for as it'll take me to 10 charges. Eventually taking Avatar of the Chase with the extra two ascendancy points. Will have innervate in my setup as well as a silver flask or two to keep onslaught up as often as possible.

My planned tree @ 89

http://goo.gl/7eRoqJ

192% life with a jewel, and more to grab in higher levels.
Last edited by Quixote77 on May 28, 2016, 11:40:41 PM
Not an expert with evasion chars, but with my suggested nodes you'll see a return on your investment much sooner than the scion square wheel. I got the impression that you probably won't take the char to low 90's. You're near some quality sword and 2hand nodes as well to start getting the dps up to par.

tree 1 slight change to tree you might know better than i do though. removing the ele res. nodes like i did isn't smart if you can't stay soft cap'ed.

perhaps respec to this once you're at that level ?81?. From there is the hard decision: easy to get meh'ish dps, hard to get good survival nodes, or meh easy to get survival nodes.

Constitution would eventually be higher actual health % (which i personally greatly value). it just takes a while to get there. great if high lvl. not so great below high level.

The duelist hp/ev nodes and that single 4% node ya didn't grab yet would be higher hp per passive stat point, just not a lot of hp%. the hp/ev nodes above ranger would be more for later (expensive to go after-could respec out of it for constitution once you're at high level- or keep both at lvl 100 Kappa). the nearby jewel could be another 6-7% base hp. i want to say that's plenty of defensive survival, i'd just be worried about the clear speed.

all in all though, I think you'd have more fun doing something different (well, just not pure frenzy attk ) next league. frenzy 4 link, something else 5+ link at end game, if you take the char beyond 75-81.
Last edited by CryingGods on May 29, 2016, 12:09:56 PM
Ok, just tried out Dual Strike before the end of the league. Clearly inferior to Frenzy, would probably need a notably higher investment in offense.
Leaves Dualwield Cleave and ... what other physical attack skills are there? EQ is out.
Zaanus:

___

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info