2.3 1h wand/Sceptre changes compared to staves

Pledge of hands presents another problem. It has repeatably been said uniques should be either build enabling or a mid tier.

In other words a unique should be beaten by a good rare. And a 30 echo is not really "build" enabling. It just comes down to an op cast speed modifier compared to rares.

As far as a caster staff pledge beats pretty much most rare staves you find.
People cast with staves lmao?

I mean the Agnerods have potential..pledge..yup wait a minute, those are all unique.

IMO in this game staves are either for melee or SRS lol :/.

Staves arent really good for casting. Even if you got a +2 staff it needs a great spell damage roll + flat damage and high cast speed, to compare to dual wield 15+ cast speed on each and potentially just as high spell damage on each wand as a single staff.

Unless staves* start rolling 200 spell damage and 40% cast speed lol will always be less efficient.
Last edited by JusJev on May 27, 2016, 1:13:22 PM
+3 gems is like 40-60& MORE damage for spell gems.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
"
Rupenus wrote:

And if I had 300% increased spell damage and I equipped a second wand with 150% increased spell damage that's 50% MORE damage, not counting cast speed/crit you can also get.

My point remains, rare staves are worthless as a caster item. Except for srs where dps caster stats are worthless anyway.
For a spell like Essence Drain, I could see a well-crafted rare 6L staff with the Paragon's (+1 to level of socketed gems) and Nihilist's (+1 to level of socketed chaos gems) prefixes being a viable alternative if your goal is simply to achieve high damage.

A level 23 Essence Drain deals roughly 23% more base damage than a level 21 one, and that can be scaled further with Empower. You could save up currency for a 6L staff (redeemable through a The Dark Mage set) and leave your chest piece unlinked, allowing some flexibility there.

Essence Drain hardly benefits from cast speed or critical chance, so what you would be sacrificing by using a staff is the mobility and survivability that comes with a dagger-and-shield setup. Whether that tradeoff is worth it is debatable, but at least the possibility exists.
"
Hellsfire wrote:
So they plan to up implicits of wands and Sceptres so end game bases get 42% spell damage and 40% ele damage.

Where is the love for staves as a caster weapon.

Just to lay out my impressions of weap setups

1h/shield = largest defense lowest dps

Dual wield = mid defense (15% block) mid dps

2h = lowest defense biggest dps

However let's look at what a 1h can roll.

Runic = 79 SD
Lich = 39 SD
total = 118 SD (before implicit)

Staff

Runic = 115 SD
Lich = 55 SD
Total = 170 SD

So dual wielding wands gives more block, and bonus 66 SD (+20SD x2 implicits currently) over a staff. With implicit changes this difference goes to 146 SD with perfect rolls.

So why would any caster (besides srs) ever use a staff? Is a second 6L worth this difference?

Staff should not be used for raw stats. If you use staff, then it should have +to gem level bonuses, and be 5/6 linked. Only then, Staff usage is justified. Sadly, that means you have to use pretty expensive staff, cheap staves are ALWAYS junk.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Hellsfire wrote:
"
Rupenus wrote:

And if I had 300% increased spell damage and I equipped a second wand with 150% increased spell damage that's 50% MORE damage, not counting cast speed/crit you can also get.

My point remains, rare staves are worthless as a caster item. Except for srs where dps caster stats are worthless anyway.

but you miss the point that you can use kaom's heart with staves.

also,

150% increased spell damage is not equal to 50% more damage.

here is the explanation:

assume you have 100 damage, and 800% increased damage from tree + items.

your damage would be 900.

50% more damage means,

150 damage base, 800 increased damage from tree + items:

1350 damage. (1350-900: 450, +350% increased spell damage differnece)

so its like +250-350% increased spell damage.(this parameter is totally related to how much %increased damage you have from tree)

+3 gems, 79 spell damage + spell crit + crit multi + 25 cast speed + kaoms heart.
doesnt it sound very strong?
staves are not bad.

i also agree with you that, their implicit has to be reworked to tune the damage up compared to new sceptre/wand changes.

but staves are much better than they seem. damagewise, mirror 6t1 level staff versus 5-6t1 x2 wand are very close.

"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on May 27, 2016, 2:24:21 PM

feels bad that I found an item like this so early in the league... never used it either
"
Rupenus wrote:
"
Hellsfire wrote:
"
Rupenus wrote:

but you miss the point that you can use kaom's heart with staves.

also,

150% increased spell damage is not equal to 50% more damage.

here is the explanation:

your damage would be 900.

50% more damage means,

150 damage base, 800 increased damage from tree + items:

1350 damage. (1350-900: 450, +350% increased spell damage differnece)

so its like +250-350% increased spell damage.(this parameter is totally related to how much %increased damage you have from tree)

+3 gems, 79 spell damage + spell crit + crit multi + 25 cast speed + kaoms heart.
doesnt it sound very strong?
staves are not bad.

i also agree with you that, their implicit has to be reworked to tune the damage up compared to new sceptre/wand changes.

but staves are much better than they seem. damagewise, mirror 6t1 level staff versus 5-6t1 x2 wand are very close.

I know 150 is not more.....hence the disclaimer of if you have 300%. You are also missing the fact that +1 takes up prefix slots. And does not scale added base damage either.

If you use a +3 staff the best spell damage you can get is 115 runic. So is +3 worth 121 SD you get with 2 wands over a staff (160 with new implicits)?

I highly doubt this. Since as mentioned you get double crit/cast speed as well.

I will concede ED is another spell that doesn't care about crit or cast speed but spell damage does matter. And when you can get almost triple the spell damage from 2 wands I still don't see a staff being better.

Yes kaom's is a thing but I would rather 6L a chest and grab a shield for a defensive option over a kaom's + rare staff

Doesn't 320 spell dmg, 100 base spell dmg double cast/crit/crit multi and a 6L chest sound stronger?
Last edited by Hellsfire on May 27, 2016, 2:48:30 PM
"
Rupenus wrote:

At least use actual achievable stats when comparing stuff.

Most spell casters cap out at 400%~ increased damage from the tree, let's say 450%.

Choosing between a +3 staff and say 60% spell damage (so that we dont go into mirror teritory) versus 2 wands with 120% spell damage each (not hard with new implicit rolls).

(450% + 60%) * 1.5 (assuming +3 is 50% more damage) = 765% effective increase

Wands option:
450% + 240% = 690% effective increase

But then dual wands can roll a much higher cast speed, crit multi and spell crit.
So in reality staffs are only worth it if going for Kaom's Heart as the chest.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on May 27, 2016, 3:03:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info