2.3 1h wand/Sceptre changes compared to staves

So they plan to up implicits of wands and Sceptres so end game bases get 42% spell damage and 40% ele damage.

Where is the love for staves as a caster weapon.

Just to lay out my impressions of weap setups

1h/shield = largest defense lowest dps

Dual wield = mid defense (15% block) mid dps

2h = lowest defense biggest dps

However let's look at what a 1h can roll.

Runic = 79 SD
Lich = 39 SD
total = 118 SD (before implicit)

Staff

Runic = 115 SD
Lich = 55 SD
Total = 170 SD

So dual wielding wands gives more block, and bonus 66 SD (+20SD x2 implicits currently) over a staff. With implicit changes this difference goes to 146 SD with perfect rolls.

So why would any caster (besides srs) ever use a staff? Is a second 6L worth this difference?
Last bumped on May 27, 2016, 5:42:15 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
staves (just like melee) is an afterthought

and the main question is - why use wands/sceptres/staves while whirling blades give you more clear speed than anything else?
"
sidtherat wrote:

and the main question is - why use wands/sceptres/staves while whirling blades give you more clear speed than anything else?

Projectile Speed (Wands)? :P

Other than that? Dunno.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
You also need to look at the base added spell damage rolls, staves rolls about like 30-40 or soo base damage higher on those rolls on average. Base damage for spells is really important.

iLvl 74: 3 to 10 / 126 to 133 (Electrocuting) for 1h

iLvl 74: 5 to 15 / 189 to 200 (Electrocuting) for 2h

when it comes down to it as a spell caster, in my opinion, block is meaningless either way. You cant cap block while getting the same amount as you used to (way back in the old days when everyone and their mother capped block easily). Using a second 6L can definitely be a nice thing, especially if you want to use two spells instead of one.

The big difference between 1H and 2H is crit, as usual. Dagger/Wand/Scepter can get double what a stave can which is double Unmaking rolls (109 spell crit per roll). 216 spell crit is a pretty big deal.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
but projectile speed is already baked into skills that NEED it (freezing pulse, EK). for other skills it is 'meh whatever', even for spark as you very quickly reach an overkill and extra proj speed just kills stuff few times over

barrage/KB CoCS is a different matter but they.. well.. are forced to use a wand anyway
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
You also need to look at the base added spell damage rolls, staves rolls about like 30-40 or soo base damage higher on those rolls on average. Base damage for spells is really important.

when it comes down to it as a spell caster, in my opinion, block is meaningless either way. You cant cap block while getting the same amount as you used to (way back in the old days when everyone and their mother capped block easily). Using a second 6L can definitely be a nice thing, especially if you want to use two spells instead of one.

The big difference between 1H and 2H is crit, as usual. Dagger/Wand/Scepter can get double what a stave can which is double Unmaking rolls (109 spell crit per roll). 216 spell crit is a pretty big deal.

with spellcaster staves there is something else. it is called Pledge of Hands. it doesnt have typical spell related rolls in huge quantities (no +3 etc) but the free Echo creates a very budget 6link (and 7link for the lucky) that is really really difficult to beat with a rare

it is the duo of Era and Pledge - two staves that make 95% rare equivalent insta-vendor. these 5% that remain are in not-for-mortals category..
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

with spellcaster staves there is something else. it is called Pledge of Hands. it doesnt have typical spell related rolls in huge quantities (no +3 etc) but the free Echo creates a very budget 6link (and 7link for the lucky) that is really really difficult to beat with a rare

it is the duo of Era and Pledge - two staves that make 95% rare equivalent insta-vendor. these 5% that remain are in not-for-mortals category..
Oh definitely, Pledge is pretty godly for a stave, rare staves are still neigh impossible to craft without eternals. I actually find it a bit funny how they made Daggers/Scepters/Wands roll easier but kept staves as is even though the math says a 1h+shield or two 1H is better.

Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
sidtherat wrote:
but projectile speed is already baked into skills that NEED it (freezing pulse, EK). for other skills it is 'meh whatever', even for spark as you very quickly reach an overkill and extra proj speed just kills stuff few times over

barrage/KB CoCS is a different matter but they.. well.. are forced to use a wand anyway

Incinerate? Not really playable with just the skill quality proj speed imo.

But yeah... only incinerate comes to mind, since it doesn't benefit from the crit chance of daggers.

Edit:

Reason why staffs are kind of a joke unless you go for Kaom's Heart. A +3 staff is usually around 30-40% more damage, you can dual wield 2 of these for 240% damage, along with double amount of cast speed / spell crit and whatever else you want.

I expect this wand to be closer to 140% damage after the new implicits roll out.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on May 27, 2016, 11:50:03 AM

i expect this one to be quite good for incinerate, too :)

however, i have tested - on some of my casters - the Obliteration wand. this one is pretty crazy despite being an attack wand in design. i have a fireball character (elementalist ofc) and using Obliteration (just one! i do not get why people insist on using two..) makes clearing maps A MAGNIFICENT JOKE

so - for me - the wand slot already has its 'almost godly' unique that will be very hard to beat with rare.

same story as with 2h axes, staves, swords and mauls.. same as with bows that are not phys/crit, daggers and pretty much every other slot (Except claws as all claws are pretty weird)

it is general itemization problem. uniques are not BiS, but are almost-BiS and for most people that is enough
Last edited by sidtherat on May 27, 2016, 12:08:54 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:

A: Not everyone enjoys watching the screen flicker by at a seizure-inducing pace. Is it really that hard to understand?
Quoting Saltychipmunk:
...I look at the new act 5 boss where you have to hide behind the statues to survive the bullet hell and all I can think is... how the fuck are zombies going to survive that?

They don't know what hiding is... they don't know what dodging is... they are morons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info