Um when are we humans getting off this earth?

We live on a dot... Just one rock the size of a small city could wipe us out. A gamma ray from an exploding star could melt us... Why aren't we building space ships? Oh wait we have... For three people.

Humans... What a waste.

Spoiler
Watching the series The 100, pretty bad ass
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on May 25, 2016, 9:42:33 PM
Last bumped on May 31, 2016, 5:53:09 PM
Pussies and cowards get off. The valiant fight as you only have one life so might as well use it better the human condition.

I'm sure we could nuke that fucker before it hit earth
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 25, 2016, 9:47:12 PM
Two words: Yellowstone Supervolcano.
200000 years late with his eruption according to analysis and calculations. Just try not to think about it :D
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
solwitch wrote:
Watching the series The 100, pretty bad ass

I love the grounders language. :P
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Why leave?

Spoiler
Contact us at support@grindinggear.com!
I say we spend another 10000 years learning how to appreciate just how fortunate we are in the grand scheme of things.

Earth has so many wonderful things, just imagine leaving it and its marvelous wonders behind. We got apples for fucks sake, ain't no other planet got that.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
... BRB re-watching The 100.
Need some help? Contact us at support@grindinggear.com

Queen of Padlocks
Building a spaceship to hold humanity would require farming asteroids, maybe other planets. Building such a large craft near earth's orbit would unbalance the planet, probably also cause what apparently the moon does... natural disasters.

Besides that, even if we did build a craft, going to the nearest star requires 4 light years of space travel, this is also hoping to not be hit by any object which might destroy the craft.

We do not have light speed tech, and so reaching the nearest star would probably take thousands of years. What if there is no planets to colonize... move on to the next system?

The human body was not meant to travel in space, by the time it gets to the nearest star, the body will die, unless you use cryonics (freezing) but then no one truly knows if that changes the person once unfrozen, the brain might get damaged over time, what if there is a failure in computation which unfreezes you during mid flight?

The only way you'll space travel outside of this system is if you merge with technology (what people call trans-humanism) and essentially becoming a cyborg. You'll start by being 99% human and 1% artificial, and through time... you'll receive more and more augments eventually making you 100% artificial. Once you do achieve this, then you could travel without issues... and wouldn't need to farm asteroids or other planets to create a gigantic ship like independence day. All you would need is a ship the size of a watch or less, once arriving at your destination you would simply replicate your kind and thus forming a new civilization. (which is also pointless because you could just stay in a ship rather than planet).

tldr: star trek, star wars, eve online, all those scifi shows are science FICTION, no where near realistic futurism.
"
bl00dengel wrote:
Building a spaceship to hold humanity would require farming asteroids, maybe other planets. Building such a large craft near earth's orbit would unbalance the planet, probably also cause what apparently the moon does... natural disasters.

Besides that, even if we did build a craft, going to the nearest star requires 4 light years of space travel, this is also hoping to not be hit by any object which might destroy the craft.

We do not have light speed tech, and so reaching the nearest star would probably take thousands of years. What if there is no planets to colonize... move on to the next system?

The human body was not meant to travel in space, by the time it gets to the nearest star, the body will die, unless you use cryonics (freezing) but then no one truly knows if that changes the person once unfrozen, the brain might get damaged over time, what if there is a failure in computation which unfreezes you during mid flight?

The only way you'll space travel outside of this system is if you merge with technology (what people call trans-humanism) and essentially becoming a cyborg. You'll start by being 99% human and 1% artificial, and through time... you'll receive more and more augments eventually making you 100% artificial. Once you do achieve this, then you could travel without issues... and wouldn't need to farm asteroids or other planets to create a gigantic ship like independence day. All you would need is a ship the size of a watch or less, once arriving at your destination you would simply replicate your kind and thus forming a new civilization. (which is also pointless because you could just stay in a ship rather than planet).

tldr: star trek, star wars, eve online, all those scifi shows are science FICTION, no where near realistic futurism.

I think youre thought process is still too bound to physical existance. Imagine this:
We send a probe that contains a nanotech fabricator and a receiver to all potential colonization sites. The receiver collects data from earth. While on earth when someone dies, the mortitian digitizes their mind, dna, and combines all of that persons communications/surveilance ( to help reduce the errors of the digitization process) to be broadcast to the probes. No need for transitioning into cyborgs. When a probe finds a a suitable site, it constructs a physical body and imprints the memory engrams.

But as for me personally, i would instead prefer to exist as a mind upload that has access to the sensors of the underlying hardware. And the power to engineer my own upload so as to become optimally intelligent with full knowledge of all of recorded history (from which i would discard all fiction, falsehoods, and inanities). The world inside our minds is more vast than the physical universe, imo. We can imagine higher dimensions than our physical universe allows us to directly reach.

Unfortunate that our minds cannot exist without an underlying substrate. Perhaps that will be the endgame for superintelligence. Turning enough of the universe in to computronium to maximize effective lifespan of the hosted mind uploads.

I think i would make a decent sci-fi writer.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on May 26, 2016, 5:53:13 AM
The alternative to becoming cyborgs/machines would be heavy genetic engineering, causing a forced evolution of sorts. Just imagine what we might be able to do in a few hundred years... additional body parts? Photosynthesis? Maybe even different ways to breathe (either through our skin like some animals or gills in additon to our lungs)? For me that would be far more awesome than becoming a machine.
Also I'd rather live in the deep sea than in space...
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info