Bored? Try this math challenge. :)

Suppose there are two points, • •, when you draw a line between them they make one pair, •---•.

With three points you can draw lines to make three pairs:

Define the relationship between the number of points x and the maximum number of pairs you can draw between them y.

Have fun!

No peaking! ;)
x/2*(x-1)=y
Last edited by GeorgAnatoly on May 25, 2016, 2:03:34 PM
Last bumped on May 28, 2016, 4:51:29 PM
I'll just leave this here before going to sleep:

Oblivious
Oh, you sneaky devil. That one wasn't really hard but it took a surprisingly long time before I got it. Too long, really.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
It's a combination. You can rewrite that problem as "How many ways do you have to take two elements (pair) from a set (of points) if order doesn't matter", and the answer would be:

x!/[(x-2)!2!]=x(x-1)/2
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on May 25, 2016, 12:14:48 AM
Right, but the purpose of the problem isn't to study combination mathematics in general but to show a fairly easy and interesting problem to help someone teach themselves how a relationship can arise into an equation that they hopefully would be able to define completely by themselves, which is also why I phrased the solution the way I did.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
Right, but the purpose of the problem isn't to study combination mathematics in general but to show a fairly easy and interesting problem to help someone teach themselves how a relationship can arise into an equation that they hopefully would be able to define completely by themselves, which is also why I phrased the solution the way I did.

Your definition was very crude and ambiguous. Perhaps next time you should define the problem more clearly.

"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
There are two points and you can draw a line between them making one pair. With three points you can draw lines to make three distinct pairs.

You should have fully and explicitly stated what you meant by 'making one pair'. A pair of what?

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on May 25, 2016, 7:53:13 AM
The answer is obviously square.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
SkyCore wrote:
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:

Your definition was very crude and ambiguous. Perhaps next time you should define the problem more clearly.

"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
There are two points and you can draw a line between them making one pair. With three points you can draw lines to make three distinct pairs.

You should have fully and explicitly stated what you meant by 'making one pair'. A pair of what?

Thanks for the feedback, I want to make myself as clear as possible.
Last edited by GeorgAnatoly on May 25, 2016, 9:46:56 AM
I first became interested in that type of function as a young man due to my interest in... Warcraft 2.

Let's say I set up a choke point such that only one enemy unit can attack my units, but all of mine can attack that one. How many enemy units y could be defeated one-at-a-time, assuming I had x identical units?

Obviously if x=1 then y=1.

If x=2, then let's say units deal 1 damage and have 2 HP, so the first two enemy units kill just one guy, and the next one kills my other guy. If x=2 then y=3.

For x=3, let's give units 1 damage and 6 health. The first three enemy units deal 2 damage each before dying, taking out one defender. The next two deal 3 before dying and take out the second defender. The last takes out the final defender.

So the choke point advantage formula is equal to x*(x+1)/2, where x is the ratio between choke point defenders and the size, in combat units, of the choke point.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I went through it twice and have two possible solutions:
1. Bananas, because black holes can't do marathon runs in russian divided by 0
2. 42
Not sure which one though...
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info