Is it possible to make an endgame viable build with no uniques?

Except maybe the unique jewels you get from quest rewards (for what they're worth).

I may well be wrong, but it seems to me that any decent endgame build has to rely on some gimmick from a unique, be it damage conversion (Voltaxic/Consuming Dark/etc), charge shenanigans (Romira's/Voll's Protector/etc), or some other extra feature you can't get from rares (Mjolner/Bino's/etc).

I'm sure it's possible to have a build that mechanically works, but would it have the DPS/clearspeed/survivability if all you're limited to are the basic rules of the game, without the uniques to hijack them?
Last bumped on May 24, 2016, 9:13:55 PM
A viable physical crit bow build can be done without any unique. Mine use only Atziri's Step as unique but I could certainly run without them, and she's lvl 95.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
I'm sure it's possible to have a build that mechanically works, but would it have the DPS/clearspeed/survivability if all you're limited to are the basic rules of the game, without the uniques to hijack them?

What is viable? Uber atizir on HC? duble malachai in 8 mod core? gorge in under 2 minutes? be faster than 100ex build? Be better than chaos conversion build?

"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on May 24, 2016, 2:20:58 PM
Rares are better, stat wise, than uniques. If you are not using an specific property of an unique then a full rare build would be better than one with uniques.

Most Uniques are cheaper than a good rare, that's one of the main reason people use them.
Last edited by Adser on May 24, 2016, 2:27:11 PM
I run 93 ele ranger, atm I try her with just MF boots and Rat's nest for uniques. If I took bit more crit*, I'd be perfectly fine without it. Its "endageme" is atm pretty much every rare t9 and fairly easy t10, but I didn't even properly started with her too.

tl;dr. Althought I heaven't been there yet, I'm sure that it is.

* I don't even have cc roll on ammy, half of my gems are without q and 20lvl, plus there are in my setup because they was what I found in stash (Setup is as it is because I burned all chromes I needed 1blue, 1 red, rest green and had some of these in stash. Theorycrafting at its best).
Definitely possible.

I didn't make any andescency maze so far, too. It's scary.
Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on May 24, 2016, 2:31:53 PM
Uniques are mostly build-enabling. There are lots of builds that would suck without uniques.

However, it is really easy to make a build that doesn't need any uniques. It would just limit your choices.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Yeah, sure you can! Pretty much any melee skill can be made to work just fine without uniques. The same for pretty much any bow build. I can't help you with spells since I tend not to play casters that much.

Uniques to me are mostly for leveling and if I make a build that relies on a specific property of some unique(s).

Until some leagues ago I played only self-found and because of that nearly all characters I had used rares (and even blues!) only. Sometimes I got lucky and found a usable unique, and that was great of course. But overall I was doing fine with gear that most people would just vendor.

Granted, it could be argued that a build without uniques would be restricted, or inferior if you like. This may well be true. But viable? Sure, no argument there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info