Questions about increased AoE and Impact

Hello fellow players, I have a few questions about the increased AoE gem I couldn't find the answer to yet. I'm sorry in advance if those answers are actually easy to find and I overlooked them somehow.

1. Why does the gem support Vigilant Strike, but not Heavy Strike? Both don't have an AoE tag and usually no AoE component.

2. If inc AoE actually supports a gem, say Vigilant Strike or Infernal Blow - does it then also increase the splash radius of Impact from the Slayer Class? Meaning I can increase the splash from vigilant strike or the melee component from infernal blow but not the splash of Flicker Strike or the melee component from Frost Blades?

3. Does "50% less Damage to surrounding targets" from impact weaken the infernal blow explosions?

If anyone knows the answers, thank you very much!
Last bumped on May 17, 2016, 10:06:28 AM
"
gonaldinho wrote:
1. Why does the gem support Vigilant Strike, but not Heavy Strike? Both don't have an AoE tag and usually no AoE component.

It does? That's weird.

"
2. If inc AoE actually supports a gem, say Vigilant Strike or Infernal Blow - does it then also increase the splash radius of Impact from the Slayer Class? Meaning I can increase the splash from vigilant strike or the melee component from infernal blow but not the splash of Flicker Strike or the melee component from Frost Blades?

It works to increase the radius of the melee splash gem. It should also work on the Impact radius, but I can't confirm that.

"
3. Does "50% less Damage to surrounding targets" from impact weaken the infernal blow explosions?
No, despite the wording this only applies to the splash from Impact. (It will stack with the melee splash gem's similar modifier though, so don't use melee splash if you have Impact.)
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on May 15, 2016, 6:25:59 PM
Thanks for the answers!

"
dudiobugtron wrote:

It does? That's weird.

Yes, I tried it with and without Impact, same behaviour.

"

It works to increase the radius of the melee splash gem. It should also work on the Impact radius, but I can't confirm that.

ok, that's what I hoped. And how I understood the description in the wiki:
"
Wiki wrote:

Increased Area of Effect is a support gem. This gem will increase the radius of any areas of effect produced by the linked skill.

It's a bit surprising that support of melee splashing depends on the gem having an AoE component which can be unrelated to the melee hit itself, but I can understand why: This way passives don't affect which support gems work and which don't.

"
dudiobugtron wrote:

No, despite the wording this only applies to the splash from Impact. (It will stack with the melee splash gem's similar modifier though, so don't use melee splash if you have Impact.)

That's great, thanks!
"
gonaldinho wrote:
Because players were extremely vocal about wanting this change, which was in patch 2.2.0:
"
Any skill with an associated Threshold Jewel is now supportable by Support Gems that could affect the additional properties added by the Threshold Jewel.
Since Vigilant Strike has a threshold jewel that adds an area of effect, the gem can be supported by the Increased Area support to modify that.

"
gonaldinho wrote:
Yes.

"
gonaldinho wrote:
No, it only affects the splash.
Thanks a lot for the answers, that clears things up.
Do we have hope for Impact to give an aoe property to a single target gem, so it will interact with aoe support gems?

It would enable more control for some pure single target gems like Heavy Strike and Double Strike, so you can (additionally) choose to have inc aoe or conc effect

I beg you make it true!
Gives streamers & friends queue priority and leaves supporters who spent hundreds $ packs in the 100k queue.

GGG: Don't you guys follow streamers?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info