how to find the right type of defense for a character?

greetings,

there are several types of defense in this game.
there are characters which use tons of armor, some use evasion or energyshield and some use a combination of those. there are also a few skillgems like fortify, ice wall, temporal chains or other types of croud control.
endurance charges are also a way to survive wraeclast. or tons of speed and mobility and careful playing and choosing the right fights.

im not sure when to use which one of those.
fortify seems to be aligned with strenght and therefore mostly usable for strenght-builds. several gems have attribute requirements and therefore i can guess which to use when playing pure characters.

but what about hybrid builds? if im using a combination of strenght and agility, is fortify still the best choice or could i skip it for more mobility or croud control effects? there is a limit on how much defense a character can take when he still wants to deal tons of dps (limit on sockets for example).

i also dont know about energyshield.
armor for example is best against many smaller hits while evasion should help more against big ones. (if i read the wiki correctly)
where does energy shield fit in here?
and also, should this type of defense be pure or would it also be efficient to mix those up? (a bit shield here, a bit armor there, and some evasion on top of it)

im sorry if this sounds like a very nooby question. im still very inexperienced with this game.
nevermind, i just found a guide on this forum that explains my questions ;) i was probably thinking too much...
"
im not sure when to use which one of those.

The thing is, you don't usually have much choice in the matter, your location on the tree, skill choice and playstyle decides it for you. Basically, you take every defense form that plays nice together and doesn't take too much investment on your part.

So, if you're sticking to southwest side of the tree it's kinda obvious you can go for armor+endurance charges, leech, block if you can get at least 50% without wandering around too much and MoM if you aren't too aura-reliant so you can have around 1k free mana and enough leech or regen.

If you're sticking to top side you got the option of ES stacking which just acts as a life pool replacement but is able to reach very high numbers which makes regen and leech restore very high amounts per second. If you're sticking with life you can go with MoM, either with Eldritch battery if you need your auras or with mana if you don't. Some non-summoner builds can also use minions as extra defense with reasonable investment and you also got curses, that +1 curse passive is free enfeeble or temp chains to go along with whatever else you need.

And so on, as you can probably see, you don't really have too much wiggling room, take what you can get.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
thank you. i didnt realize that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info