ggg likes their game more than their players?

"
pandasplaying wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Just to comment on the thread title: why wouldn't they? A painter should like their best painting more than the customer who bought it, and a novelist should like their best writing more than its readers. If GGG didn't like the game more than its players, something would be very wrong. Although on the other hand, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Hmmm those are Art. Is a videogame a work of Art or a product? Has the medium transcended that yet?

almost all mtx involve art. an artist had to draw all of them. would a normal artist be able to draw a a set of armor and sell each digital copy for $40 each? i doubt it.

also, who are you to say if an artist "should" like their best painting more than the customer who bought it? somebody's values are their own choice. to value a painting over a human life is ludicrous.

You have an incredibly idealistic view of the world. Notice I said Art with a capital A. There's a huge difference between the fine arts and commercial arts.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/results.html

Look at what most of that stuff goes for, then look up how much it costs to feed a starving child for a year. Tell me all of humanity values human life more than Art with a straight face. Are they all ludicrous?
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on May 5, 2016, 8:09:35 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:

You have an incredibly idealistic view of the world. Noticed I said Art with a capital A. There's a huge difference between the fine arts and commercial arts.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/results.html

im about to become pessimistic if it's really common to value art over humans.
if there's such a huge difference between fine art and commercial arts, can you list a few examples?
fine art costs a lot more than commercial art, but otherwise there's little difference.

"Look at what most of that stuff goes for, then look up how much it costs to feed a starving child for a year. Tell me all of humanity values human life more than Art with a straight face. Are they all ludicrous?"

you're comparing the cost of food to the cost of art. it takes little skill and little money to farm, but years of learning and practice and supplies to make a work of art worth much. also almost anybody can learn to farm, but it's a lot more difficult to do art and many people aren't capable of doing complex works of art.
Last edited by pandasplaying on May 5, 2016, 8:12:50 PM
The difference is huge and could encompass an entire thesis but to me it could simply be one is created with the intent to commodify something while the other is more a pure expression of personal thought or emotion from the artist.

E: Regarding food or art, forget it, not trying to have this conversation with you, we're clearly on different pages. Do some google-fu on art theory if it interests you.
Last edited by TheWretch on May 5, 2016, 8:14:24 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:
The difference is huge and could encompass an entire thesis but to me it could simply be one is created with the intent to commodify something while the other is more a pure expression of personal thought or emotion for the artist.

i went to college as a graphic design student so i think i know more about the art industry than you after 4+ art history classes... the intent of fine art varies greatly. one artist may produce 10 different works of art each with a different intent, one of which might be to "commodify something". they also might only do art to bring attention to things they think are important like homelessness or poverty. such an artist would likely value their subject, humans, greater than their art.
College level graphic design student schooled me, dayum
"
TheWretch wrote:
Is a videogame a work of Art or a product?
Yes.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
Yes.

I'm inclined to agree
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
Yes.

If it's a product first can it still be art?

/ponders
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
Yes.

/ponders

What is jewellery?
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
Yes.

/ponders
I an inclined to interpret Mark's "Yes" as literal as possible, meaning: it's one, or it's the other. So no, according to Mark.

Clarification may be required.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info