Should I 6S for 5L?

I have a unique staff which I'd like to 5-link. Will my chances of getting it increase if I get 6 sockets on it instead of 5? My current orb reserves are 844 jewelers and 89 fusings, which I figure should be enough to manually 5-link it for the slim chance at 6-link.
Last bumped on May 7, 2016, 9:01:51 PM
Which staff is it? Consider that it may be cheaper to simply buy a 5L version of that staff than it would be to chance a 5L on it (unless you are banking on the outside chance of a 6L).

A 6S item can 5L two ways, but a 5S can 5L only one way. As far as I'm aware, a 5L on a 6S is approximately 120 fuses, while a 5L on a 5S is approximately 240 fuses.
Last edited by Funkdubious on May 3, 2016, 12:48:38 PM
As far as we know, links on an item are rolled as a string of numbers. An item that rolled 2-1-5 would have first two sockets linked, have one free socket and then have last four linked.

So, if the probability to roll 1 is 20% and the probability to roll a 5 is 1%, then the probability to roll 5-something is 1%, the chance to roll 1-5 is 0,2% and the chance to get either a 1-5 or 5-1 would be 1,2%.

By using a 6S item you're increasing your chance for a 5L by the same percentage it takes to get one unlinked socket. So, if it takes 80 fuses on average to roll a 5L on a 5s item it would take 66 on a 6S item, using the chance for 1 separate socket from the previous example. Unfortunately, we have no idea how high that chance is exactly.

If the average for a 6S is 250 jewelers that makes the entire thing inefficient if your goal is strictly a 5L, however the chance of accidentally getting a 6L is also a factor.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on May 3, 2016, 1:07:21 PM
The average cost in jewellers to 6-socked an item should be more expensive or close to buying the item 5-linked unless it's a Shavs or something.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 3, 2016, 1:06:29 PM
Well there is also a chance that you will get 6l while trying to 5l link 6s item.
With 5s item there isn't such chance.
Last edited by KR33P on May 3, 2016, 1:07:26 PM
I would always 6-socket first.
"
Funkdubious wrote:
Which staff is it? Consider that it may be cheaper to simply buy a 5L version of that staff than it would be to chance a 5L on it (unless you are banking on the outside chance of a 6L).

"
Bars wrote:
The average cost in jewellers to 6-socked an item should be more expensive or close to buying the item 5-linked unless it's a Shavs or something.

I play self-found so buying a 5L version is not on the table.

"
raics wrote:
As far as we know, links on an item are rolled as a string of numbers. An item that rolled 2-1-5 would have first two sockets linked, have one free socket and then have last four linked.

Where can I get 7-socket items?

"
raics wrote:
If the average for a 6S is 250 jewelers that makes the entire thing inefficient if your goal is strictly a 5L, however the chance of accidentally getting a 6L is also a factor.

That's why I'm planning to do the linking manually rather than using Vorici's table. 6L would be a nice bonus, but I'll stop at 5L if that happens first.
"
databeaver wrote:
Where can I get 7-socket items?

Nowhere, if you rolled 5-5 on a 6S item you'd get 5-1, sockets will link until the item runs out of them. It's probably easier on the programming side than removing the numbers an item can't fit from the table.

Kinda funny, if you think that way it would make sense to roll six times on any item, even those that can't have that many sockets, can't screw up if you don't even need to set stuff like that.
I wonder how many times I rolled 6 on a pair of gloves...
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on May 3, 2016, 4:56:56 PM
"
toyotatundra wrote:
I would always 6-socket first.

^

always 6 socket, dont cheap out on the jewellers or you are just wasting fusing because every 1000 or so you use on average will result in a 6 link. Using fusing on 5 socket items is just resigning yourself to failure without even trying when the odds are actually in your favour over prolonged periods of time repeatedly fusing items. youre gonna hit a 6 about 1 in 8 times while going for a 5 link, you are paying for that 6L already by using fusing, the games designed to give it to you and make you feel amazing on that random attempt now and then, make sure you are getting yours.

I 6-socketed the item with 174 jewelers. 5 sockets appeared twice during the process.

Sadly, after spending 126 fusings a 5-link have yet to appear. Various forms of 4-link have appeared 40 times so far. I only have 3 fusings left and don't want to break the current 4-link until I get some more. Most likely that means waiting until Vorici's offer becomes available again (already used it twice today, before and after daily).

26 chromatics turned all the sockets blue, allowing me to place all the gems I wanted in it. Didn't count all the weird results that occurred in the interim.

Current state:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info