Qs about Double Dipping and Ignite

I was told, and the Wiki seems to also imply, that Ignite can double-dip on Fire Damage and Elemental Damage (By double-dipping, I refer to not only the initial hit being increased by a damage increaser which sets the baseline amount, but also the Burning Damage-over-time also gets increased)

Example: normally a 100 damage hit (of fire) can ignite for 20 damage per second for 4 seconds

If double-dip is true, then adding +100% increased fire damage to the above scenario would yeild: 200 damage hit that can ignite for 80 damage for 4 seconds (four times the burn)

Q1: Is the above true?

Q2: Are there penalties that double-dip? I am looking specifically at Spell Totem and Elemental Proliferation, both of which incur a less damage penalty to the hits that might also??? penalize the amount of burn damage that resulted from the hits

Q3: Can Increased Totem Damage apply to the burn damage from ignites that were set off from a skill that a Totem used? (Similar to how I am aware Poison's damage-over-time can double-dip on 'projectile' damage if a projectile attack poisoned) Q3p2: What about Increased Projectile Damage, if a projectile caused an ignite? Area Dmg from Area skill?

Q4: Can you think of anything else I might want to beware or consider when attempting to theorycraft an Emberwake-based ignite stacking build that tooltips don't necessarily tell you?
Last bumped on Apr 30, 2016, 12:04:58 PM
1. Yes.

2. Of course, 'less damage' works an all damage regardless of type so it will double dip as will less elemental/fire, less projectile/AoE if you applied ignite with a projectile or AoE spell and less trap/mine/totem damage if you did it via trap/mine/totem. If the enemy is resistant to fire that will also apply twice, but elemental penetration will apply only to the hit.

3. Yes, see question 2.

4. I think that would be about it, you need to be careful about double-dipping, exploit it where you can and try to avoid the penalties as much as possible.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Thanks for the info.

I have my sights set on the Chieftain ascendancy "Arohongui, Moon's Presence" as the "Enemies near your Totems take 16% increased Physical and Fire Damage" Would logically double-dip and make a good deal of effect.

Shame that spell totem double-penalizes ... still good to know, not a deal-breaker.
Yes, it would double dip, it's a good choice.

"
PerfectDuck83 wrote:
Shame that spell totem double-penalizes ... still good to know, not a deal-breaker.

Well, you can use a Flame totem and get no penalty, that would probably be your best bet.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info