New items: █ map modifiers █

"
Cyzax wrote:
"
Char1983 wrote:
"Move currency from players running high-level maps to players finding the charms" is exactly identical to "make high-tier mapping more expensive".
Ehhhh... No!

Only if you waste your currency on something that on average will not pay off! If you do that, then its your own fault...
Self-found mappers - that is, all those who don't trade for maps - are constantly doing this, because they wish to continue sustaining maps even if they get worse than average luck. This means the typical mapper spends FAR MORE currency than what will pay off on average.

However, I think Char's point was that GGG would rebalance the highest-tier maps assuming maximum investment, and lower map droprates. Which is clearly what they would do, and clearly not what this suggestion intends.

But I think it's moot anyway. There is already a system for adding mods to maps. Unless you run every map with 6 or 8 affixes, why would you want more ways to add mods?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Hey guys, thanks for your contributions!

I think some of you didn't get my point and probably that's my fault.

My whole idea behind these "charms" is to change the lategame or endgame experience for mappers, possibly without altering the economy behind it.

Maybe you own a strong build which can run any map tier with any mod without any problem.
That's cool.
But I see many players stuck at T10 maps, who spend a lot of currency rerolling them to avoid some mods like ele reflect, no regen, temporal chains etc.

This inevitably puts these players into a boring loop, running the same maps with the same mods.

My idea wants to change this behaviour and maybe give all other players (top players?) a chance to change mapping a bit, meeting different playstyles.

That's why I thought about some of the mods I listed in OP.
- A chance to play for exp sacrificing drop.
- The viceversa of the above.
- A more difficult map with slightly better loot, but only one portal.
- etc.

The idea can be evolved and I think that won't affect economy.
For instance, magic and rare charms could be rolled with alteration and chaos, but will anyway keep their rarity. So that regal orbs and scourings couldn't be used on them.
Players would end up rolling them, spending currency and changing map mods just a bit to adapt to their playing style.

I'd like to give a few more examples of mods and some thoughts about them:

Spoiler
"
rarity: unique

+20% item quantity.
Map has no boss.

This one could be interesting for lower map tiers, up to T10 or T11.
Unless a player is unable to face a high tier boss, that's up to him.
This would change a player's objective without altering the global economy.

Spoiler
"

rarity: magic

Prefix -> 50% less item quantity, +20% exp gained
Suffix -> Adds an invasion boss, 10% reduced item rarity

Just an example of magic charm.
Prefixes would change the game style according to the player's choice.
Suffixes would give a tiny malus to loot, with a chance for a good one from an extra boss.

Spoiler
"

rarity: unique

+200% item quantity
Dropped weapons are animated against the player
Player's light radius is zero

A good chance for loot, but no weapons can be found in this map.
As a drawback, you have no light radius and a lot more lootless and deadly foes.

For some reason it's easier for me to think about unique charms...
Well I hope I gave you a deeper idea of my concept of "charms".
Keep your feedbacks coming and thanks again!
Last edited by Pope_touched_me on Apr 28, 2016, 7:36:32 PM
Up
"the players finding the charms" is going to most favor cheaters who break the rules to get more drops with less effort, just like everything else does. The rest of this idea could be a good thing, but only if the items are non-tradable and always permanent allocated. More reasonably-powerful, reasonably-accessible non-tradable items in general would be a good thing.
People who don't like the Labyrinth are not a minority: Be heard - say you don't like it in your signature. Don't leave complaining about lab to others - GGG needs to see how many people dislike it. Ascendancy must be gated on true ARPG content, not a poorly-crafted internet Legend of Zelda wannabe.
Up
Up
Up
Up
Up

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info