Doryani's Catalyst and added fire.

I have added fire attached to a physical skill. Nothing in my skill tree should be making the added fire portion stronger. For example everything I have should be adding DPS to the beginning of the skill not the end. I then put Doryani's which added 100% elemental which would not effect any part of the skill, only the added fire.

Why is it that Doryani's barely raises the fire damage from added fire?
Last bumped on Apr 27, 2016, 3:40:26 AM
Which skill are you looking at, and what steps exactly are you taking to test this? I hope you'll forgive the presumption, but my first guess is that you're messing with the tooltip by slotting the Catalyst (because you're now dual wielding, or because Catalyst has lower damage than your other weapon, or something like that).

If, say, you're already dual wielding with something like Reave and a random mace/axe in the off-hand, then switch to Catalyst, and the fire damage barely changes, that would be very strange.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
None of these are true. I can take off all weapons and look at the tooltip for EK and with added fire I gain 737 on the high end and with Doryani's I gain 963.

In my passive tree I have 0 elemental damage, no fire either. Ever mod I have applies to the EK itself so those mods should be applied on the front end of the spell. The Elemental damage for Doryani's is specific to only the fire damage thus 100% addition should double the original fire damage. So lets say I have 100 fire damage that means doryani's should make it 200 at 100% elemental due to the fact it specifically can only be applied to the fire.
Ahhhh, I believe I know what's up. You have a misconception about how damage increases work. Basically, all those spell/physical/projectile damage increases you have are additive with Catalyst's elemental damage increase. It doesn't actually matter that the fire damage is based on a percentage of your physical damage. It's still being affected by those increases as far as the game is concerned, and sill all "increased" mods stack additively with each other, Catalyst is simply adding on to the ~300% increased damage you already have from other sources. That's why you shouldn't expect a doubling.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Apr 26, 2016, 11:44:57 PM
So you are saying if I have a +100% to physical it is somehow stacking to my added fire even though the damage types are in no way related to each other?

That is like saying if I have poison support gem and 100% damage over time it stacks with my spell damage.

If that is the case the wiki is wrong. The other passives I have should be taking place on the front end of the calculations and the elemental damage should be taken place only on the added.

What you are saying is +20% physical is stacking addictively with +20% elemental even though the damage types are completely unrelated?

:(
"
ZombieOtter wrote:
So you are saying if I have a +100% to physical it is somehow stacking to my added fire even though the damage types are in no way related to each other?

That is like saying if I have poison support gem and 100% damage over time it stacks with my spell damage.

If that is the case the wiki is wrong. The other passives I have should be taking place on the front end of the calculations and the elemental damage should be taken place only on the added.

What you are saying is +20% physical is stacking addictively with +20% elemental even though the damage types are completely unrelated?

:(

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. The poison bit isn't true because the poison damage is an entirely separate instance of damage to the initial hit, but otherwise, yes.

As far as I can see the wiki is entirely correct on this. Can you point out the bits that you think are wrong?
Also see this thread for the same question.
lophius put it well; Essentially, your fire damage "remembers" it already got buffed by a few hundred percent. So they aren't entirely unrelated, the internal damage stat would probably read something like: "phys, fire" with the last being the output type (I have no idea how that is actually saved).

If you 50 physical damage, you add 20% of it as fire, that's 10 base.
If you have 200% phys increase and 100% elemental increase, then you have 50 phys * (1+200%) = 150 phys, and 10 fire * (1+200%+100%) = 40 fire damage.

I'm reasonably sure that's exactly what the wiki is saying.
Poison or ignite would trigger on hit for the entirety of damage dealt, and as such are actually multiplicative like a "more" effect.
Though the Dot damage does stack with your spell damage when using Essence drain. ;)
... This does come up often. Any suggestions on how that could be communicated even better?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on Apr 27, 2016, 3:48:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info