Tanky Dominating Blow + Minion Instability

I'm trying to make a build that's largely centered around dominating an enemy and using it to blow up all it's old friends who will then blow up all of their friends, too.

Currently looking at a passive tree something like this
Pros:
Scales off enemy HP
Scales off 2 multipliers which are very easy to increase
Gear can be optimized entirely for defense without affecting DPS

Cons:
Requires groups of enemies
Melee
Can't life leech from main skill
DPS cannot be increased from gear (except a couple uniques)

Since your main attack scales off the enemy's HP, you should still clear everything at around the same pace in a 6 man party as though you were by yourself. Minion instability is also affected by both minion life and minion damage. This is incredibly powerful because unlike nearly every other skill in the game, you can get passives/mods for 2 multipliers so instead of stacking a single additive stat, increasing one will create a larger effect on the other and vice versa. It's basically exponential acceleration instead of linear. This growth is amplified by the fact that both stats are incredibly easy to obtain and have huge bonuses on each node. +10%/15% compared to a measly 5%-8% for most other types of damage.
All this comes at the cost of having to be in the middle of all the action when you can't life leech from your skill that's doing all the damage.

skills:
Dominating Blow
+Minion Life
+Minion Damage
+Increased Area of Effect
+Chance to Ignite
+Elemental Proliferation
OR
Dominating Blow
+Minion Life
+Minion Damage
+Culling Strike
+Fire Penetration

Viper Strike (for killing the first mob)

Spark/Shock Nova (shock + Elemental Equilibrium)
+Fork
+Pierce

Molten Shell
Enduring Cry

I should be doing a considerable amount of overkill without the added damage from Culling Strike and Fire Penetration, so I'm thinking of going with burning damage with Elemental Proliferation for more AoE and zone damage over time.
I think I'll end up using most of these curses depending on the enemy and party members.

Elemental Weakness
+Increases Damage
+should be useful to most of the party

Flammability
+Increase Damage
+Adds extra Chance to Ignite
-Less useful to the rest of the party

Vulnerability
+Increases burning damage and Viper Strike
+25%+ multiplier on physical damage for party members

Temporal Chains
+offensive and defensive
+doubles time of burning damage and Viper Strike
+Helps me stay alive
-Increases the time it takes to kill my minions

Stuff I'm worried about:
Survivability. Not sure if this will stand up passed lvl 60. Maybe auras or something?

Mana. With 5 support gems, the skill I want to spam will cost ~165 mana by lvl 40. Even with bloodmagic, I don't know if I can stand up to that. Thinking maybe Ondar's flight boots?
Anything else I need to look into?

tl;dr dominating blow+minion instability how do I not die and manage to spam a skill with 5 supports
Dominating Blow is neat because anything you support it with Affect the original Attack and the minions.

That being said MI right now cannot ignite or anything like that and keep in mind that the grace period of DB is kinda short. Right now MI calculates the Damage, Factors in Fire damage and the enemy resistances and then subtracts directly from the affected Health pools. Meaning that Mi as it is Can't Crit(To my knowledge) and can't cause Ignite. In fact there's not much that works with MI right now.

Personally I see what you want but I don't think it would be amazingly effective. The true power of DB is choosing the right minions. Auras or high damage generally.

DB actually ends up being more of a support ability imho.

Best I can give you is scrap the MI Most minions aren't going to deal maybe 10% of a mobs health after Resistances
"
Dominating Blow is neat because anything you support it with Affect the original Attack and the minions.

That being said MI right now cannot ignite or anything like that and keep in mind that the grace period of DB is kinda short. Right now MI calculates the Damage, Factors in Fire damage and the enemy resistances and then subtracts directly from the affected Health pools. Meaning that Mi as it is Can't Crit(To my knowledge) and can't cause Ignite. In fact there's not much that works with MI right now.

MI works fantastically with Chance to Ignite support gems, as with other high-damage low-rate fire spells (like Molten Shell).
"
redrach wrote:
"

MI works fantastically with Chance to Ignite support gems, as with other high-damage low-rate fire spells (like Molten Shell).

I am about to take a quest reward and I am trying to figure out if chance to ignite works with MI...so have you used it in such a way or is this info from a dev? Just wanna double check prior to choosing. Thanks.
You should try conversion trap instead of dominating blow
"
DangerMau5 wrote:
"
redrach wrote:
"

I am about to take a quest reward and I am trying to figure out if chance to ignite works with MI...so have you used it in such a way or is this info from a dev? Just wanna double check prior to choosing. Thanks.

In the dominating blow thread, a dev mentioned some other support gems that now work with im. Just checked chance to ignite, though, it works.

After actually using Dominating Blow, I found out the timing is so short, you basically have to kill the mob with the skill, so Culling Strike will have to be a supported gem.

"
SirOtis wrote:
You should try conversion trap instead of dominating blow

Monsters converted by CT don't count as minions and so won't trigger MI which is basically what this is built around. But with the nonexistant buff time on DB, I may have to fall back on raise specter once it's life and damage reductions fall off at high levels.
You should just use the Unarmed build:)

Unarmed attacks work with Dominating Blow:)

...Don't worry about damage either, I have about 640 DPS at lvl 34.
Last edited by Epsilon2012 on Feb 24, 2013, 4:32:12 PM
I just started on an unarmed Dominating Blow, it's hilarious.
Only level 26 so far but I can one-shot enemies np with Dominating Blow and I took Bloodmagic so mana isn't a problem.
Why:
+Chance to Ignite
+Elemental Proliferation
??

Are those for MI? I think it does not work. Those gems apply to Dominating Blow skill, not minions. Right?
Considering minion supports affect the minions dominated, I don't see why those supports wouldn't..

In reply to prev post

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info