No passives? No problem!

I've been discussing this anti-build I'm doing in a couple of threads, so thought I might as well make my own to share a bit about it.

The tl;dr version is I've made an untwinked HC Marauder, leveled to 30 so far, and have not used any passives.

This is all in a bid to show if you screw up your passive tree by more points than the game currently allows you to respec for free that it doesn't actually matter. Your character and build will still do fine.

This then extends to the fact that I don't think we need full character respecs in the game for this purpose. If it was possible to completely wreck your character by accident, then maybe there would be a case, but this just doesn't happen.

So if you're the kind who is unsure where to put your passives out of fear of wrecking your build (eg first time players who look at the passive tree in despair) - don't fear, put them wherever you want cause your character will be stronger than mine by doing so, and I'm doing fine so you will too :D

If my build can work with 0 passives used, then your build can work with them all used, no matter where they are spent. At the moment I am only level 30, but I'm going to continue with this project to see if I can get him 50+. The higher I can get this character, the better this point is illustrated. The biggest flaw in my example at this stage is how this translates to endgame but I'm working on leveling to get there.

Now it's also worth noting I'm not saying passives are unimportant - not at all! They are super important, let you customise your character and help them grow up big and strong to kill heaps of monsters. I'm just saying if you put points in the 'wrong' place, all it means is your character isn't as strong as it potentially could be, but that it is hardly gimped or unusable.

With decent gear and game sense, you'll do fine.

So gl hf and spend those passives - you won't break anything.

And if anyone is interested in how my Marauder is doing I've attached some screenshots of his progress every 5 levels below and his current level 30 gear.

Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

Level 5
Level 10
Level 15
Level 20
Level 25
Level 30 -- and another
Soldiers of the Wasteland - sotwguild.com
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I got my Duelist to 32 before I spent points. I only ended up spending points due to being unable to find 2 +AA rings.
You know, another interesting message you are sending with this is that this game needs to be hell of a lot harder.
If this is the case in late game, then the game is not "balanced" at all.
Aww yea!
"
konfeta wrote:
You know, another interesting message you are sending with this is that this game needs to be hell of a lot harder.
Got some damn nice gear
"
konfeta wrote:

Or, that player skill trumps skill point allocation?
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
The two are not mutually exclusive, considering that the skill needed to use a combination of Zombies, Sweep, Infernal Blow, and Temporal Chains isn't exactly mind blowing.
"
Wittgenstein wrote:
"
konfeta wrote:

Or, that player skill trumps skill point allocation?

But this is a spreadsheet game with a very low skill cap. What the OP is proving is that bad point allocation will not stop you from leveling, which is bad.
Keyblades!
preach it!

~SotW HC Guild~

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info