[2.2] ElPuppet's The Fabulous Octopus [Lightning Trap] - FAST, TANKY, DEATHLESS UBER, MASSIVE CLEAR

Hi All,

Welcome to my build that I've been running for the last week or so in Perandus. Lightning Trap has always been a cool ability in my opinion, but has not really had the spotlight on it much in the past. With the Saboteur ascendancy and the current very popular meta of Voltaxic Rift, I've managed to make an extremely tanky, fast map clearer and uber killer (at 86).

As with any build guide, you should always think about whether you want to adjust anything. Every build has a few tweaks that can be done for personal preference and not everything is set in stone. I'll include a list of alternatives at the end, but really, you can take the base idea and do anything you like with it.

UberRewards

Bandits

Oak - Skill - Skill

Frenzy Charge is possible too. You build them pretty easily with fast clearing, so they can stay up a fair amount of the time. But as with most poison builds, there's so much damage, that it usually is better to focus on other things.

Ascendancy

Saboteur, going Chain Reaction and Blinding Assault

CurrentGear

GemDiscussion

6L - Lightning Trap, Poison, Pierce, Void Manipulation, Cluster Traps, Trap and Mine Damage.
Fairly standard of what you'd expect in a poison Lightning Trap based build. All the damage supports double dip with poison as well and Cluster Traps with Chain Reaction in the Saboteur tree is just plain silly. Because of this, we have crazy clear speed, oneshot packs and rares and kill offscreen.

4L - Wrath, Blasphemy, Temporal Chains, Enlighten 3
Wrath adds considerable damage. I almost wanted to go full defensive as most trappers tend to avoid offensive auras, but the More damage from Wrath was hard to ignore. With the 10% Reduced Reservation for Wrath enchant and an Enlighten 3, we can fit in Temporal Chains, Wrath AND Arctic Armour. I have played around a bit with Temporal Chains vs. Enfeeble and am actually still undecided. Enfeeble at 20/20 is some godly powerful damage reduction, but Temporal Chains with AA slows nearby enemies to barely moving. Temporal Chains is also offensive, as it allows your poison to tick longer (and therefore stack higher). Perhaps I would go Enfeeble for maps and Temp Chains for Uber, so you can get the highest single target possible.

4L - Cast When Damage Taken 5, Immortal Call 7, Increased Duration, Temporal Chains 7
Fairly standard setup. Feel free to replace the curse with anything you like. I figured if it cursed enemies outside my Blasphemy, it would help my poison damage on the outskirts of the screen.

3L - Spell Totem, Wither, Faster Casting
Insane damage buff on single targets like in Alluring Abyss. It is increased damage taken, so that is a multiplier (but additive with other instances of increased damage taken).

Blink Arrow
Mobility, Labyrinth, Stuck

Arctic Armour
Slow things, kite trio easier, take less damage when stopping still to throw traps.

Vaal Clarity
You use EB for throwing traps. Vaal Clarity means you never have to stop, and can just clear through the map without pause. Take two if you really want, but you clear fast enough that one is totally fine.

GearDiscussion

Weapon - Voltaxic for Chaos Conversion. Shock and poison together in one build is very nice.

Quiver - Drillneck. I considered perhaps going Chain, Rearguard and no Pierce, but the clearspeed and damage improvement with Drillneck is huge. The coverage you get in 100% piercing cluster of Lightning Traps is huge.

Chest -Lightning Coil. Acrobatics build, you need something to bring down the physical damage. Other chests are possible if you have a particular liking to one. Tabula is possible with an unlinked Voltaxic, but don't expect to make it past 85.

Helm, Gloves, Boots - You take Eldritch Battery, so these pieces will all need good ES with good life rolls and some resistances. You will need 10% Reduced Reservation on Wrath. I believe you can manage it with an Enlighten 4 instead, but I would rather not do this unless I had to. Buy a Hubris Circlet with the enchant, and chaos spam until you get something to work with.

Jewellery - Fill the gaps in your Stat Requirements (which will be Strength), resists and as much Life as possible. Spell damage on Amulet is a bonus. I double exalted mine, got mana and then spell damage. Still not sure if it really was worth it. You can craft movement speed if you have an open prefix and all the other stats you want.

Belt - High Life, Resistance, Strength if you want to loosen up the restrictions on what jewellery you can wear. Open prefix for Trap Damage desirable.

Flasks

Standard affair. Taste of Hate very good, Basalt very strong. Probably don't have your staunching on a Health Flask like mine is right now. I've alted my Silver flask until I can get two uses per flask. This meanss I can activate it with my quicksilver and have 122% movement speed. I'd probably drop it for Uber and grab another health pot or something useful.

Jewels

Jewels can get quite expensive for us, as a lot of the stats we are after are quite popular right now. You want to get Life and offense stats that double dip as a first priority, and ones that don't as second.

Tier 1:
Increased Maximum Life
Increased Chaos Damage
Increased Projectile Damage
Increased Trap Damage
Increased Damage

Tier 2:
Increased Lightning Damage
Increased Spell Damage

Defenses

The name of the game for the last few years in PoE is layered defenses, as in, do not put your eggs all in one basket. This build has
-146% increased life (174% with jewels)
-Acrobatics
-Phase Acrobatics
-Lightning Coil
-Taste of Hate
-Temporal Chains (possibly switch out for Enfeeble in rippy content/non Uber)
AND
-The Saboteur's Blinding Assault, which drops smoke clouds. This synergises very well with enfeeble, which is another reason why I support changing your curse depending on situation.

Leveling

Self cast, traps, anything that's your favourite way of leveling until 28. Then, Deerstalker 4 Link with Bladefall/Poison/ConcEffect/Multitrap (Cluster Trap @ 38). This will carry you through the game until mapping pretty much. Extremely fast leveling, boss just get deleted. Switch to Lightning Trap when you can use Voltaxic and add in Pierce and a Drillneck.

Videos

Variations

As I said earlier in the guide, you always have the option of a few variants. If anyone has any ideas in the comments, I can add them in here. Here are some for you to consider:
-Dropping an aura, EB and using mana. Save four points, lose an aura, easier/better gearing, run a mana flask.
-Dropping Phase Acrobatics. A lot of people take Acro but not Phase, it's a valid choice.
-Picking up Arrow Dancing, if you do less wading through the packs than me.
-Investing in Frenzy nodes. Master Sapper does a pretty good job of keeping Frenzy up, keeping up 6 frenzy charges would be quite a boost. You can also keep them up on a boss fairly easily, as we use a bow.

IGN: PurpleTrapperPuppet / Perandus
Last edited by ElPuppet on Apr 9, 2016, 9:04:18 AM
Last bumped on Aug 21, 2016, 11:56:21 AM
Do you need a level 3 enlighten for the build?
"
jjm1998jjm wrote:
Do you need a level 3 enlighten for the build?

There are a few options.

Drop Arctic Armour:

https://poe.mikelat.com/#kgvSb/F9HiEBo/1V1rN7lh/9b

Keep All, invest four points to get Charisma:

https://poe.mikelat.com/#_a6Gil/F9HiEBo/57wdHkph

Drop Blasphemy, add Herald of Thunder:

https://poe.mikelat.com/#kgvSb/F9HiEBo/5rJ-tNd

Heretic's Veil and Enlighten 2:

https://poe.mikelat.com/#kgvSb/F9HiEBo/1zJMXOWFd

When it comes to auras, there are really countless combinations, and it's really up to you which way you want to go about it. There are so many little ways you can *just* get over the line (ie, Conqueror's Efficiency, ironically, extremely inefficient). The Enlighten 3 and Wrath enchantment is the best way just purely because you can spend currency instead of skill tree points or gear slots!

But what do you think of this
https://poe.mikelat.com/#kgvSb/Rt81MVdOb/xV_kHkph

You use essence worm and you pay such little and use level 2 enlighten and your done no need for waste of nodes on tree or the helm enchant
"
jjm1998jjm wrote:
But what do you think of this
https://poe.mikelat.com/#kgvSb/Rt81MVdOb/xV_kHkph

You use essence worm and you pay such little and use level 2 enlighten and your done no need for waste of nodes on tree or the helm enchant

That's a fine combination too (I don't think you need the enlighten?) if going on a budget, but you do lose a ring slot. You could very much do this on a budget with unlinked Voltaxic, Tabula, Essence Worm and then usual EB + Life gear.

There are always modifications you can make to make it cheaper or adjust to your own play style!

The ultimate 'no matter the expense' way would be to have an Enlighten 4 and change helm enchant for Lightning Trap damage.
Last edited by ElPuppet on Mar 27, 2016, 8:39:11 AM
Added Videos
Hey also could you make your character tab public please
"
jjm1998jjm wrote:
Hey also could you make your character tab public please

Should be visible now. I wouldn't rely on it too far down the track, I tend to cash out builds and experiment fairly often!
Just started playing this build, had a few questions. Which bandits should I choose?
So far I am in act 2 normal. I am planning on taking Oak. This is what my tree looks like right now at 22 points:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAABEvFr8mlTY9VUth4mKsaoxsjHBRdoKdqqLZsNi0xbTRtUjIDMgU2-frY_Vv

This is what I have planned for 63 points:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAAAW1Bx4OSBEvEZYWvxvgIuoj9iaVKwowfDN4Nj1JUU2SUUdVS1b6XfJfsGHiYqxkqmo2aoxsjHBRdm92gn6wfyuNfY2_j_qQDZUum4abtZ2qotmw2LTFtNG1SLd1wuzDOsgMyBTKStUu1r7YVNvn5zro1ejW62PsGO4V8NX1bw==

I figure by this point I will start purchasing my gear and I will be set up to start picking up all the missing nodes as needed. I won't need any pierce until I get the Drillneck and I won't need any chaos damage until I have a Voltaxic. Are there any nodes that I should be grabbing that I missed? Or nodes I shouldn't be getting so fast? When should I be getting Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics?
Okay maybe more than a few questions. Thanks for your time.
"
aSfSteve wrote:
Just started playing this build, had a few questions. Which bandits should I choose?
So far I am in act 2 normal. I am planning on taking Oak. This is what my tree looks like right now at 22 points:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAABEvFr8mlTY9VUth4mKsaoxsjHBRdoKdqqLZsNi0xbTRtUjIDMgU2-frY_Vv

This is what I have planned for 63 points:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAAAW1Bx4OSBEvEZYWvxvgIuoj9iaVKwowfDN4Nj1JUU2SUUdVS1b6XfJfsGHiYqxkqmo2aoxsjHBRdm92gn6wfyuNfY2_j_qQDZUum4abtZ2qotmw2LTFtNG1SLd1wuzDOsgMyBTKStUu1r7YVNvn5zro1ejW62PsGO4V8NX1bw==

I figure by this point I will start purchasing my gear and I will be set up to start picking up all the missing nodes as needed. I won't need any pierce until I get the Drillneck and I won't need any chaos damage until I have a Voltaxic. Are there any nodes that I should be grabbing that I missed? Or nodes I shouldn't be getting so fast? When should I be getting Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics?
Okay maybe more than a few questions. Thanks for your time.

Have updated with bandits.

I also added a tiny leveling guide -

"Self cast, traps, anything that's your favourite way of leveling until 28. Then, Deerstalker 4 Link with Bladefall/Poison/ConcEffect/Multitrap (Cluster Trap @ 38). This will carry you through the game until mapping pretty much. Extremely fast leveling, bosses just get deleted. Switch to Lightning Trap when you can use Voltaxic and add in Pierce and a Drillneck."

This setup really is stupidly strong. I would 100% use Bladefall until the Voltaxic. Leveling will be outrageously easy and you can prioritise defense and utility over damage (ie, avoid pure chaos damage nodes, pick up Trap utility and survivability). You're welcome to try leveling with Lightning Trap - I did a bit, and it was OK, but Bladefall Trap with Poison is super fast.
Last edited by ElPuppet on Mar 28, 2016, 10:38:22 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info