Change to Hierophant's Ritual Of Awakening

There doesn't seem to be an ascendancy that really pushes you to go for as many totems as you can get. Even with Ritual of Awakening, the current penalty on having totems (the 10% less damage) is to big to bother going past the 2 totems you get out of that node. Chieftain's Totem bonuses are more for RF totems for the most part and Scion's Hierophant forces you to just use a support totem in your helm which is lackluster.

As Hierophant you can get the most totems but past the 2 the damage penalty stacks too high that its not worth getting the extra 2 totems you could get. The scaling of damage effectiveness is currently 90%/160%/210%/240%/250%, which makes going pushing past the 2 you get for the node not worth the effort, and if you're going to support by being self cast, what's the point of using totems? That pretty much is about 310% total effectiveness if you include yourself but you get no bonus from your own Totem damage nodes that you'll not be as effective.

My suggestion would be at least one of the following:

Reducing the "10% less damage" down to "8% less damage". This would bring the damage effectiveness up to 92%/168%/228%/272%/300% for all totems which scales a lot better and makes it worth the effort overall to push and go for having 5 totems.

The other would be to change it from "10% less damage" to "10% less damage for every totem after the first". This would make sense since there really shouldn't be a penalty for your very first totem, only for totems after that one. This would change the overall effectiveness to 100%/180%/240%/280%/300% which results to about the same as the previous scaling.

I suppose you wouldn't want Hierophant to be the go-to totem class, but as is, it just seems lackluster to push past the two you get from that node, so if you're only going two totems, its not really making the class much different than any other totem build in the past (outside of being able to self cast which isn't really the point to totems.)
Last bumped on May 27, 2016, 3:12:07 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I guess the damage is not the major point of having that much totems.
Its more for support since you can cast YOURSELF dmg spells while having 3 totems around (for different roles, not just damage).
Would be to strong if selfcast + 3 strong dmg totems.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Apr 9, 2016, 8:22:55 PM
"
gandhar0 wrote:
I guess the damage is not the major point of having that much totems.
Its more for support since you can cast YOURSELF dmg spells while having 3 totems around (for different roles, not just damage).
Would be to strong if selfcast + 3 strong dmg totems.

not to mention there's other uses for totems that *don't* involve totem damage.
Last edited by Shppy on Apr 9, 2016, 9:39:53 PM
ritual of awakening is kind of akward, personaly i would replace the 10% less damage per totem with 10% less life per totem.

since we are with the hierophant whats people opinion on santuary of thought and divine guidance? thats another weird combination, divine guidance is for mana/life builds while santuary is more aimed to ES/mana builds, sure we have eldrich battery but if we are going life/mana with mind over matter do we realy need eldritch batery?

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Apr 9, 2016, 10:01:36 PM
Hiero's totems are amazing in practice. people measuring mechanic viability with pure numbers are missing A LOT. this applies to many other mechanics/items/skills

i have a Hiero' incinerator with this node (and the 5 link one) and it is a day and night when it comes to clear speed (coverage) and survivability (yes, this - i know many here do no care about this aspect AT ALL)

as for the mini-mom and extra ES. these are also mostly misunderstood by the general populace. since someone 'invented' the miraculous ZO/EB/MoM combo people keep forgetting that there are other ways of using these. ways that.. just happen to work way better for me than this 'trick'

both of these nodes have their uses - niche but still

Hierophant is simply not an entry level, one dimensional dps class like assassin or deadeye
"
sidtherat wrote:

as for the mini-mom and extra ES. these are also mostly misunderstood by the general populace. since someone 'invented' the miraculous ZO/EB/MoM combo people keep forgetting that there are other ways of using these. ways that.. just happen to work way better for me than this 'trick'

Hierophant is simply not an entry level, one dimensional dps class like assassin or deadeye

not sasying is bad, just saying it needs to be a bit more flexible for instance having ES/mana templar tree and life/mana tree:

say

sanctuary of thought ----> "insert skill name": % of non reserved mana added as damage

divine guidance -----> "insert skill name": regenerates life equal to a % of missing mana and mana regenerates as a % of missing life.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Ritual of Awakening and Ancestral Bond have different design goals and are NOT intended to be used together.

This doesn't mean RoA is bad.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Seems like the current pre-release for the 2.3.0 tree is showing Ritual Of Awakening to be reduced from 10% per totem to 8% per totem.

Guess I'll give it a try next league :)
"
sidtherat wrote:
Hiero's totems are amazing in practice. people measuring mechanic viability with pure numbers are missing A LOT. this applies to many other mechanics/items/skills

i have a Hiero' incinerator with this node (and the 5 link one) and it is a day and night when it comes to clear speed (coverage) and survivability (yes, this - i know many here do no care about this aspect AT ALL)

When I started Perandus League I wanted to try a Magma Orb build so I knew I needed strength/Intelligence which meant Templar class. I scanned the subclasses and then had a jaw drop moment when I read that Ritual of Awakening allowed for 2 additional totems. Wow, 3 totems up plus the MO skill, I immediately jumped on that build. Now at level 85 I'm pleased with my build results. I don't ever get into the details of min/maxing any build or any PoE mathematics, I just adapt my exile as I acquire new gear. Anyway, now with 3 fire totems I use them as a barrier and then flood the mobs with GMP MO. The white mobs melt, the blues are gone soon after, and if a rare or better is left I have a powerful FP for that single target (as long as I can safely get in close).

Those that dismiss Ritual or Awakening because of the slightly reduced damage using multiple totems are failing to take into consideration the extra safety gained by using the 3 totems as a shield (if placed correctly) such that a fast charging mob is blocked by them and I can stand safely behind my 3 fire totem barrier and lob the magma on them til they're dead. This is also not a boring build as I have to take care to place the totems such that they create a barrier to chargers and some creatures can slip past once in a while so I can't be lazy which to me is a perfect build.

I also can use the 3 totems to block out incoming damage as I effectively did when I encountered Junith Perandus guarding a p-chest in a Strand map. She has a powerful ground slam of shocking electricity but standing behind 3 totems they blocked out a lot of the shocks I would otherwise have taken hits from. That extra defense I get from having 3 fire totems more than makes up for the lower DPS using multiple totems.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
darkwolf7786 wrote:
Seems like the current pre-release for the 2.3.0 tree is showing Ritual Of Awakening to be reduced from 10% per totem to 8% per totem.

Guess I'll give it a try next league :)

If that is true then my incinerator Hierophant (3 fire totems + MO) will work even better.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info