RF spell totem mechanic questions

Hi there i've been playing a RF totem build this league I have a couple questions regarding mechanics.
First: Does righteous fire on the spell totems proc elemental equilibrium? So if I hit a boss with the RF on the totem will they become +50% Fire res and -25% other res? I haven't speccd into EE as my dmg output is carrying me as is, just for aztiri runs I figure if it doesn't proc the +50% fire res I will use vaal lightning trap to proc EE.

Also elemental overload.. Do my totems RF have a chance to crit and proc elemental overload? My sockets are just about full with no room/mana for a crit spell (although I am using vaal lightning trap for shock dmg I am guessing this crits aswell?)

Thanks!
Last bumped on Aug 18, 2017, 5:16:58 AM
"
BwenR wrote:
Hi there i've been playing a RF totem build this league I have a couple questions regarding mechanics.
First: Does righteous fire on the spell totems proc elemental equilibrium? So if I hit a boss with the RF on the totem will they become +50% Fire res and -25% other res? I haven't speccd into EE as my dmg output is carrying me as is, just for aztiri runs I figure if it doesn't proc the +50% fire res I will use vaal lightning trap to proc EE.

Also elemental overload.. Do my totems RF have a chance to crit and proc elemental overload? My sockets are just about full with no room/mana for a crit spell (although I am using vaal lightning trap for shock dmg I am guessing this crits aswell?)

Thanks!

RF doesn't hit so it can't crit or proc EE. Your Vaal lightning trap is a very good way to get EE but without significant investment into crit nodes it won't crit very offer to trigger elemental overload.
About elemental equilibrium : no, RF doesn't activate it since it will not "hit", but apply a degen effect.

About elemental overload : no, your totem will not proc it, for the same reason, RF doesn't hit, it applies a degen effect.

But you can proc both it by yourself, by spamming a skill with high crit chance (Ice Spear is very good for this, with its natural 600% bonus to crit chance). You do not need to do damage to proc elemental overload, you just need to crit. But you need to do some damage to proc elemental equilibrium. If you take the Ancestral Bond keystone, your skills will not do damage, so you will need to use traps to proc it. Vaal lightning trap is top tier, it will shock and apply elemental equilibrium.
-
Last edited by Zybeline2 on Mar 10, 2016, 3:18:49 AM
"
BwenR wrote:

Thanks!

2x No.

To proc EE you have to hit, and deal damage. RF is DoT, DoT doesn't hit. RF doesn't crit so can't proc elemental overload. To proc Elemental Overload you don't need to deal damage.

So for proccing EE, you need to use trap. To proc EO you need just use any skill with some crit chance.

So you ligting trap can proc EE (on every hit) and EO (when in crits, it means quite rarely probably).

Anticipation slowly dissipates...
Sorry for resurrecting a relatively old thread, but something is not correct here, it seems.

"
So you ligting trap can proc EE (on every hit) and EO (when in crits, it means quite rarely probably).

This ^ specifically.

Lately I learned that traps won't actually trigger EO, or rather, they would, for "themselves".

Assuming that this is correct - how one would trigger, with 1 skill, both EO and EE?

EDIT:

also... why is Vaal Lightning Trap preferred over the regular one to trigger EE? The soul collection is a b.... Is it because of shocking ground?

If so - does Shocking Ground offset the loss of EO?
Last edited by dnut_00 on Jun 18, 2016, 12:06:51 PM
Any help, guise?
Yes shocking ground offsets the loss of EO (You deal 40% more dmg vs enemies take 50% increased damage; basically the same). Also if you do have a crit build you probably don't want EO.

Someone answered earlier in the thread that ice spear is good for triggering EE and EO, since it has a high crit chance even if you haven't invested in crit. With increased critical strikes gem it has over a 70% chance of critting in its second form.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Maybe he has an item to do so?
Another good skill to trigger EO is the Lightning Orb with increased Crit support, because it lasts a while, and as such in a boss fight would do all the work while you run around.
With Ab, it's a bit tricky, I think he would first need to summon a totem casting a skill to do damage?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Yep, it'd have to be a trap, mine or totem that applies Equilibrium; zero Damage won't trigger EE.
Or an elemental golem in malachai's artifice, for a reduced effect EE >.>

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info