Berserk - and why this class should be immediately changed [Long] [it seems 2.3 fixes it all]

Berserker is a good class y'all.

- Warcry cooldowns are really useful and we don't even know if more warcries are coming

- 100% generic leech when you need it - is absolutely fantastic. If you get Vaal Pact or go crit (i.e. staffs) and use Acuity, then this is superb. You get 3x more leech than a Vinktar's and don't have to rely on a Vinktar flask to keep it up and no need to remove shock (so you can also save 2 flask slots). This is huge.

- Pretty much 100% uptime of free Unwavering Stance? Count me in.

- 100% increased attack damage -> I don't know why you guys are focusing on double dip this and double tap that. This node will help you save so many points on the passive tree. On top of that it is a great boost for those using Facebreakers
"
Ceryneian wrote:
use Acuity, then this is superb.

Quoting out of context but... HEH
"
"
Ceryneian wrote:
use Acuity, then this is superb.

Quoting out of context but... HEH

Still using Acuity with 100% leech instead of 2-4% leech is a big difference.
Acuities are a luxury item though. Prohibitively expensive for most players who cannot run Uber Atziri themselves and the players who can run Uber fine probably won't be using Berserker.
Although I'm taking this to the extreme and ignoring Vaal Pact, if that's what it takes for the 100% leech to be "good" then the class is poorly designed.
We can't know for sure until we actually have the chance to play with it, or if GGG revises some of the mechanics behind it. I want Berserker to be good.
Last edited by Extreme_Boyheat on Feb 13, 2016, 1:58:34 AM
Just because Acuity is expensive doesn't mean this class is trash. It's like saying low-life builds are trash because they require Shavs which is expensive.

100% leech by itself is pretty good, and is OP with instant leech. With high enough HP (which is easy for Marauder) + some mitigation -> you will never die with this kind of build on Berserker. Any decent hit taken will proc your insane leech.

If you've played with VoV which has 30% you will understand how ridiculous 100% instant leech on generic damage will be. It's insane. And you no longer have to worry about using lightning skills or having to socket P2L, or using TWO flasks. It's an incredible node.

On top of that you can only spend 6 points - if you don't want Cloaked in Savagery the other Berserker options are still very very good. I'll definitely be trying out this class in Ascension.

Last edited by Ceryneian on Feb 13, 2016, 2:19:14 AM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
Just because Acuity is expensive doesn't mean this class is trash.

I did say I was taking it too far.
Doesn't make it good design, though.

It's basically IF ("Cloaked in Savagery " AND "Instant Leech") THEN "OPopie" ELSE "shit"
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Why I think 100% leech is bad:

I've used VoV and 30% leech is pretty damn enough, same as 10% would be. 100% is overkill. a lure. a trap. a big meaningless number meaning nothing.

Aaaand it is conditional.

You spend 4 points (out of 6 total) and pick a node that is 'off' for the most part and there is no guarantee it triggers when needed. because you can get burst down with a succession of rapid hits, each dealing just below 20% threshold. not mentioning DoT's that do not trigger Berserk's conditional bonuses at all. It has the worst possible quality to it: it is unreliable.

I can live with conditional damage bonuses (like Pendulum or 20% chance status aliments etc) because if they are off I'm not loosing anything vital. When survivability bonus is off (or even the base of survivability - like 2% leech node) I'm at Death's Door. It is cool when we talk about such 'romantic ideas for Berserk' but noone would like to play a binary game when your survival depends on if the incoming hit is 19% or 20%. It is the same stuff Evasion does but with evasion you have layers. Here there are no layers.

Acuity.. what other class needs 50ex item?
Vaal Pact? Just play Shadow. This node would be good ONLY with Vaal Pact moved to between Duelist and Marauder. Moving it to Shadow/Ranger was a mistake - it turned ranged squishy builds into ranged immortal builds.

Why I do not consider 100% attack damage that important:

For 'marauderish' builds the pretty much only option is big phys damage. This is the damage type new players will pick and it is the new players that will get hurt when selecting this class lured by the 'ooo double damage!!!11'. It is deceptive marketing.

For that off-chance for ele-buzzsaw tenderizers (I have 2T1 1T2 ele tenderizer.. biggest joke of an item) Marauder would like to play there are at least 3 other MUCH better elemental classes. Selecting marauder when nothing really benefits ele builds just for this one node (that has a drawback) is very unlikely. Deadeye has a +projectile, Raider has the Frenzy charge stuff (7 frenzy charges - with bonuses -make 100% attack damage look puny)
And Berserk does not have any significatn defensive bonuses worth taking just for the sake of making a tank (Occultist perma ES recharge, Juggernaut's bonuses, Gladiator's etc)
So I would stop trying to find a 'niche' use for this class - as there are simply better classes for said niches available nearby.

Mana leech:
With 2.1 mana changes marauder can sustain himself with one .4% affix anywhere on his gear. spending 2 points on this node just for this bonus - that WILL fail during boss fight - I consider.. strange? exotic? This bonus is completely irrelevant in practice.
"
sidtherat wrote:
Why I think 100% leech is bad:

I've used VoV and 30% leech is pretty damn enough, same as 10% would be. 100% is overkill. a lure. a trap. a big meaningless number meaning nothing.

Unless you're using Retch belt. Then it means shitloads of DPS extra.

And if you need Vaal Pact, you go for it. It isnt even too far, actually.

Also, would be fun for CI build - losing 20% of your LIFE means losing very little for CI. So, we have a MARADEUR subclass that favours CI/lowlife and Vaal Pact.... Wierd kinda..
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Ceryneian wrote:
Berserker is a good class y'all.

- Warcry cooldowns are really useful and we don't even know if more warcries are coming

- 100% generic leech when you need it - is absolutely fantastic. If you get Vaal Pact or go crit (i.e. staffs) and use Acuity, then this is superb. You get 3x more leech than a Vinktar's and don't have to rely on a Vinktar flask to keep it up and no need to remove shock (so you can also save 2 flask slots). This is huge.

- Pretty much 100% uptime of free Unwavering Stance? Count me in.

- 100% increased attack damage -> I don't know why you guys are focusing on double dip this and double tap that. This node will help you save so many points on the passive tree. On top of that it is a great boost for those using Facebreakers

Save 5 nodes? Really 5 nodes only.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info