About the party

Hi there,
quiet new of the game.

I really like the gameplay and the depth this game can reach with its skill tree. But I would like to know if the party is important as in other games.
Actually it's very largely solo-playable and I don't find any good reason to play with a party.

Is it right or I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you for your answers...

The game is designed so that you can play solo and not miss out on anything. Partying is somewhat more efficient if you're really coordinated, but it's not a big deal.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Not really, this isn't a classic MMO where each class has a role and you can't do shit by yourself. There are certain advantages to teaming up but everything can be done solo too, actually, playing solo has its advantages too.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Could you please explain what kind of advantages are playing in party?
- You're killing stuff faster.
- It's also a bit safer because enemies die faster, though the ruckus on screen can sometimes obscure dangerous monster mods and abilities so this point is up to debate.
- Some abilities like auras offer useful bonuses to other party members, though you will plan your build to be self-sufficient so most of the time random parties will run same auras or will use something you don't really need so much.
- In a full party you're spending only one map per six runs so you're getting more experience and items per map spent (though farming solo is better most of the time if you just want items and aren't worried about map consumption)

Last edited by raics on Feb 9, 2016, 7:21:27 AM
There are also huge disadvantage to partying:

- content gets trivial
- lag gets unbearable
- you can't see anything on screen

You sluggishly lag so that one OP discharge (or whatever FOTM currently is) toon kills everything with one button causing epilepsy to half the party members. It's that bad for my experience :/
Not a signature.
"
Turbodevil wrote:
There are also huge disadvantage to partying:

- content gets trivial
- lag gets unbearable
- you can't see anything on screen

You sluggishly lag so that one OP discharge (or whatever FOTM currently is) toon kills everything with one button causing epilepsy to half the party members. It's that bad for my experience :/

Yup, you need a decent card if you're going to be flying around in a party. The effects in this game take up a lot of resources in comparison to other games and as a result, someone casting Firestorm or spamming lightning strike might really hurt your GPU performance.

Overall you get 50% more items PER person you're grouped with. With 6 people you're getting 250% more items. So when you think about it this way you are going to see more currency, more uniques and more rares. However, they are randomly rolled for throughout the group to determine if they drop for you (if your group settings are set to perm/private loot). In the end if youre on perm loot you are going to see the same amount of currency or a little more/less if youre lucky/unlucky in the group on the rolling. |

A small example was when i was grinding lvl 74 maps with a full group, 4 uniques dropped in the few hours we were playing and i got 3 of those, meaning i was pretty lucky with the rolling.
"
Rusery wrote:
Overall you get 50% more items PER person you're grouped with. With 6 people you're getting 250% more items. So when you think about it this way you are going to see more currency, more uniques and more rares. However, they are randomly rolled for throughout the group to determine if they drop for you (if your group settings are set to perm/private loot). In the end if youre on perm loot you are going to see the same amount of currency or a little more/less if youre lucky/unlucky in the group on the rolling. |

A small example was when i was grinding lvl 74 maps with a full group, 4 uniques dropped in the few hours we were playing and i got 3 of those, meaning i was pretty lucky with the rolling.

That was before, nowadays every additional player grants 10% increased item quantity and 40% rarity, 50% quantity is just for currency. So, a full party would have 50% regular item quantity and 200% rarity, with 250% currency bonus. That means every member gets 75% unique items and just 58% currency, which significantly lower compared to playing alone.

In those same few hours you'd get 4-5 uniques all to yourself with even a half-decent MF build.

Last edited by raics on Feb 9, 2016, 9:44:41 AM
So you are saying that this game is really not-social-party oriented. Right?
Yup, that's what we're saying in a nutshell, most of the time there is little incentive to cooperate with other players.

However, there's one snag, item drops are tailored with an assumption you will trade with others and the economy plays a large part in the game experience. It's possible to cut yourself off entirely if that's what you want and still accomplish everything the game has to offer, it will just require more time and effort if you do it without trading. Some stubborn souls do it for the additional challenge.

One other exception are challenges in temporary leagues like the currently running Talisman. Some of the challenges are hard to do on your own, some are extremely unlikely and a few outright impossible. As an example, one challenge requires you to identify all new uniques from recent patches, that's extremely unlikely to happen so you need to trade for those you're missing. Another challenge requires you to level a master fully, I'll tentatively call that impossible without mission sharing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info