Need help deciding what to do

So I recently came back as I am greatly bored with Diablo/Blizzard's piss poor creation that they have developed.

That being said, I started playing again and I am LOVING the progression since I have come back. However, I feel like my equipment does virtually nothing compared to what it should at my level. I can hardly solo anything in act 4 with my 41 ranger :/

I feel like it is the equipment, but that it may also be how i have allocated my skill points at this point. I would greatly appreciate any advice. If it helps, my main focus has been lightning arrow.

My skill tree at level 41 right now

Run herald of thunder if you are not already.
Get a better quiver. Try to 4-link more stuff and add more support gems. You only need 2 attack skills max.
Your tree is pretty messed up to be honest. I'd recommend something like this for the future, however you will need quite a few refund points from quests.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAAF4B0QSxBiMILgiJFfAZjhn-GwEbrSP2JP0wcTB8MpQ6Qj7PS3hNklFHXWheRWJaexR_Ao19jb-S85UFmvGbjaEioaSiQKbgp9Sv67vjvebEosqp037UI9nG3ajfmOHb51Ttg_T4-uv-uv7I_94=

Your weapon needs to be replaced first, although that can be hard to do without trading. If you want, I can hook you up with some cool stuff so you can start mowing down enemies. Or you can play the hard way.
the bow needs to go.

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIBAdEGIwiJFSAZiiLqJT8wcTpCPs9LeFFHVP5daHGhexR9dY2_j0-UuJUFlwaa8aEioaSiQKfUq9Kv67EwtQi7473mwzrEosqp037UI9qN3ajh2-969Pj2o_lj_rr-yA==

heres a way to spend 1 less point and get quite a significant amount of damage.

Ok theory on the nodes ur going for, the start ones are "projectile damage", that is scaling all ur damage with the bow. But after that if you look at all the nodes theyre scaling "physical damage" specifically, if you look at the bow its got no physical damage rolls, its essentially a white bow in terms of physical damage.

So when looking at bows, look mostly at the physical damage at the top, yours is 21-56, thats the bit that you are scaling with the tree. The idea with a tree like this will be to get that physical number as high as possible and then link "physical projectile attack damage" gem to your attacks. That will result in the biggest damage per hit from the nodes ur taking.

When you get right to the end of the game and into the endgame maps, the critical strike chance and attack speed of the bow listed under the phys at the top will also be very important. But for now look at bows in terms of raw physical numbers imo.

If you are not trading and your just playing through and enjoying the game self found, which is how I would do it for leveling up certainly, then your best way to get a better bow might be to craft one.

I would look for the highest level white "Death Bow" you can find, imo farm a bit for one with at least a 3 link, hopefully a 4 link already on it, you can be picky and farm an area a bit to get a good one u wont need to socket. Make it 20% quality with wetstones while it is still white, then either use a "chance" orb on it, or if u dont have one just a transmute or an alch. Alchemy is risky because its costly to reroll it using chaos, if you transmute it you can just use alterations till you get a nice physical stat. There are vendor recipes here for getting or improving physical rolls on blue items...

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system#Crafting

go to

"10.3 Crafting"

in the contents, these are all vendor recipes to get specific useful stats on a blue item. Alchs can be good too though, if you chance the bows they might turn into the unique death bow called "Deaths Harp"

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Death%27s_Harp

which would be really good for you, it would probably double your damage. If you trade then this bow is easily available, you could almost certainly buy one for a single Alchemy Orb. Its up to you though if you want to trade or not.
Act 4 really ramps up the damage. During leveling I would recommend to focus about 1/3 of your passives on defense, 1/3 on damage and 1/3 on travel. As far as I can see you haven't taken any defensive nodes. Also, right from the beginning, it is important to get at least some life rolls on as many pieces of gear as possible. Especially with Evasion since, when you do take damage, you'll take it all. Also, it is never too early to start building up resists.

You are definitely using too many attack skills. Focus on one that interests you and pick gear/nodes that support that skill. Either Split Arrow OR Lightning Arrow OR Ice Shot. If you do choose Split Arrow, lose Greater Multiple Projectiles. It is redundant and just brings your damage down. Once you free up some gem slots you'll be able to start building some layered defenses. Maybe curse with Temp Chains or Enfeeble. Use Molten Shell with Cast When Damage Taken or run Arctic Armor. Ever since 2.0, you absolutely need to build defenses.

For a Bow Ranger I would recommend to get Decoy Totem. It has saved my Ranger many times. Place it when you encounter a mob, back off until it makes its first call, and then blam away.

Just a few suggestions.

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
Just a note since you've been away so long:

Your quiver (albeit weak) is now a legacy item.
It won't be worth anything, since it's low item level, but if you enjoy collecting rare items then maybe consider not getting rid of your quiver since "Light Quivers" no longer drop in the game.

(Just keep it in a stash tab, don't use it. It's extremely weak).
Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte
Oh my god so much information!

So weapon and quiver gotta go. Yeah I logged in and just saw my passive stuff changed and kinda just threw it together to get back into it :/ Probably a bad call at this point, but could also be worse.

I also appreciate the recipes on http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system#Crafting that were posted

I tried googling those and couldn't find them. The only thing I could find was for vendors creating different currency from items picked up. Thanks a ton, now I just need to probably work on getting refund point or something to better focus my hectic build :/
"
Socos wrote:
Thanks a ton, now I just need to probably work on getting refund point or something to better focus my hectic build :/

When Ascendancy is released on March 4th it should come with an optional full passive reset for everyone.

Up to you if you want to wait 3 weeks for this to salvage this character, roll a brand new character now, or buy a bunch of regret orbs to respec right now.

Honestly at level 41 you could probably just level up a new character in one dedicated day, but if you are attached to your first character then it might be worth waiting to save yourself the orbs. Playing another build in the meantime would give you a chance to learn more about another area of the game until you receive the reset for your ranger.
Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte
With so many things having been changed. You really should just create a new character in the standard talisman league. It'll move to standard soon enough and the fresh start will give you a chance to encounter new things naturally instead of being one-shot by things you've never seen.

Welcome back
Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two.
"
Nick42 wrote:
"
Socos wrote:
Thanks a ton, now I just need to probably work on getting refund point or something to better focus my hectic build :/

When Ascendancy is released on March 4th it should come with an optional full passive reset for everyone.

Up to you if you want to wait 3 weeks for this to salvage this character, roll a brand new character now, or buy a bunch of regret orbs to respec right now.

Honestly at level 41 you could probably just level up a new character in one dedicated day, but if you are attached to your first character then it might be worth waiting to save yourself the orbs. Playing another build in the meantime would give you a chance to learn more about another area of the game until you receive the reset for your ranger.

good point, forgot that would happen. Will most likely do this :) I have made a witch on Talisman League to try and see what I can do with that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info