Alternate way to level?

"
Barivius wrote:
Usually alternative way to level is code for "faster way to level."

If you could level in an endless dungeon but it was repeatably and clearly slower would you do it?

In D3, Adventure mode quickly turned to "power level to 70" and nobody actually adventures.

This.
Neden yaşıyorsun?
"
Arrowneous wrote:

PoE needs an endless dungeon. The deeper you go the harder the monsters scale up and the depth would be used to increase IIQ and monster difficulty. So dungeon level 100 would be 100% added IIQ and 100% tougher monsters. GGG could also take 1/2 of level as added monster quantity so dungeon level 100 equals 50% more monsters for maximum monster bashing fun (up to a limit that the PoE engine can handle). Each level would be a different map theme pulled from all zones so we would see Lunaris and Solaris Temple, Flooded Depths, etc. maps as we progress downward. Have a waypoint at the start of each level to be able to continue to drill down into monster hell to our hearts content and only show the last dungeon waypoint used on the waypoint map. There would be a ladder for each league and softcore/hardcore to show how far down players have gotten to. Provide bonus incentives every 25 levels down of some kind of character bling with a bigger bonus reward (maybe a stash tab) for every 100 levels. GGG could even go off the rails and reward a passive point every 100 levels deep traveled. Since the depths to which players can go is endless (or at least an unsigned 16 bit integer which is 65535 and impossible to reach) the no-lifer time unlimited players could push down forever.

As I stated in another post GGG needs to be lots more creative and stop thinking 2 dimensionally.

And start thinking like you: 1 dimensionally? :)

The concept you speak off, is more or less already ingame: they are called the descent and descent champions race! You should try it out once.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
camar1s wrote:
It would help if at least all waypoints would be discovered for all chars in that league.
IF you want you could skip some things with your second char.

But it would need a reset every league.

^This

I would support this concept. Two reasons why

1) it's already possible with dual account or just asking friends
2) it's just convenience, if you ran it once entirely(first character of a league) i don't see much point in forcing the repetition of finding the way-points.

Now if you have the waypoints available on a second character, i could see myself pushing for act3, jumping into docks for some sweet old xp running and then rushing the quest's for 5 minutes etc.

Currently i run to merciless in roughly 8 hours i reckon. This would probably cut this progression rate down to 6 hours on a second character, but the really important thing, it would reduce the "two hours of tedium".

You know, those runs to vaal pyramid when none of your mates is online where you think to yourself

"hmmm this again.....uh...."

I guess the tl;dr is

If you already completed the full quest progression story once, i think it should be optional to do so again.
And good waypoint locations + their availability can drastically increase this experience for regulars.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
Barivius wrote:

If you could level in an endless dungeon but it was repeatably and clearly slower would you do it?

In D3, Adventure mode quickly turned to "power level to 70" and nobody actually adventures.

I wouldn't want an endless dungeon for leveling. If they had a 40 levels deep dungeon with 7-12 randomly rolled mods each level that went from level 60 to level 100 in map tier difficulty - and levels 80 and up were so brutal that the best players struggled to get through, if they managed at all....

And if this dungeon granted no experience gained or lost and very few items dropped (except for a handful of uniques that could only drop in that dungeone). I would definitely play it.

I might only make it to level 20 for a long time, but I'd enjoy the challenge of it.

The dungeons would naturally get harder the lower you went so by level 100 it would be like playing a tier 10 map, level 200 a tier 20 map, level 300 a tier 30 map, etc. This would give the elites that say PoE is too easy a challenge that they could never power past, ever. That would permanently put an end to anyone claiming that GGG has made PoE too easy. You would not be required to play the endless dungeon endgame at all, you could exclusively run maps as we do now.

Item drops and quality would be dictated by the depth, so the deeper you go the better the IIQ and therefore we would get better drops. If risk/reward was balanced properly then item progression would be working forever. But of course this is GGG and they have gear starvation on the brain syndrome so this would never happen. Sad but true (PoE masochists need not reply).

It should be noted that an endless dungeon is not a replacement for mapping. Why would anyone think that I want to replace maps. No way. The endless dungeon is a 2nd method of leveling in the endgame so when you get bored with endless maps you can switch over to dungeon crawling for awhile. When you get tired of that then switch back to mapping. When you get tired of both it's time to take a break and come back later. So the endless dungeon is just another endgame feature. The more variety of endgame choices we have, the less likely we'll be to get burned out and quit from boredom.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Never understood the draw of "endless dungeon". That's what the whole game is... one instance after another... getting progressively higher level. Isn't that what we have?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Never understood the draw of "endless dungeon". That's what the whole game is... one instance after another... getting progressively higher level. Isn't that what we have?

If you could open a map from within a map, and always had at least one map drop in a map, we would.

We did have an Endless dunggeon once - in the original Maelstrom of Chaos - which was an endless dungeon with people phase running past all the non ledge zones. I don't recall how quickly they scaled up and where the level peaked at, but the only "end" to them was when you stopped running, or when you died. . . for some reason, I am drawing a blank on if the portals worked differently back then.

Hmm, the endless ledge races are kind of that too. I think they could make an interesting April 1st 1 week Endless league - no towns, no stash, no vendors, just leveling and looping. Make it solo HC, and it would really be interesting.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Barivius wrote:

Actually, I think I would (given that the difficulty difference is not stupid). Think it like some kind of prestige levelling for experienced players. With Invasion bosses and more crap. The powerlevelers would end skipping it, but it should be fine for the rest. Options are nice.

I'm of the opinion that levelling should be more randomized after a while, so it's less different than maps. Also, it should be harder without requiring spikes like the Act IV one.

"
Boem wrote:
"
camar1s wrote:
It would help if at least all waypoints would be discovered for all chars in that league.
IF you want you could skip some things with your second char.

But it would need a reset every league.

^This

I would support this concept. Two reasons why

1) it's already possible with dual account or just asking friends
2) it's just convenience, if you ran it once entirely(first character of a league) i don't see much point in forcing the repetition of finding the way-points.

Now if you have the waypoints available on a second character, i could see myself pushing for act3, jumping into docks for some sweet old xp running and then rushing the quest's for 5 minutes etc.

I think it would be nice that once you ended a walkthrough with one character in one league, the next walkthroughs are with all the waypoints unlocked, and you have to do specific things before getting to the next difficulty, but outside of that, it's completely free form (and story less).
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Feb 6, 2016, 4:17:09 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Endless dungeon is not exile level but dungeon level so you can go way past 100. I never understood the fascination with only one way to play endgame, that being endless mapping.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
naysayism as strong as usual
This is quite a smart suggestion I got to admit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info