Musical Chairs

Man, I used to love the Beach Boys.

But, now I love videogames more. So here we have:

A Mighty Wind - God Only Knows

Which is a cover of the seminal Beach Boys track by a surprisingly non-fictional Barbershop Quartet, and featured in Ken Levines not-at-all-halfway-up-its-own-ass Morally Perplexing BioShock Infinite.

== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Feb 5, 2016, 3:17:22 AM
That was beautiful, fellas!

From one video game Barbershop Quartet to another, here is:

A Pirate I Was Meant to Be, by pirate barbers Haggis McMutton, Edward Van Helgen and Cutthroat Bill, with Guybrush Threepwood replacing the fourth pirate barber Dominique (who had left due to artistic differences). There is also a live version, but the transitions are a bit messy in that one.

Save a Carrot, Eat a Rabbit!
Well, if we're going to get Piratical on it, then how about some of these mean beats:

Beastie Boys - Professor Booty

If there is one thing that pirates know, its booty. Fo' shizzle.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Dem beats, da bomb!

The video for one of their most famous songs features a giant robot fighting a monumental squid-person in the streets of Tokyo, as a homage to the Kaiju genre.

In the following video, you can, similarly, witness a giant scary monster (played by Puff Daddy) take a beautiful and majestic monument (played by Led Zep's Kashmir) and tear it apart beat by beat.

Come With Me, by PuffZilla.

Last edited by LazarusQ on Feb 6, 2016, 6:58:24 AM
As ashamed as I am to admit it, I really enjoyed that movie. That particular song? Not so much.

However, Poof Diddles has contributed to a few movies over the years, so lets have a little bit of:

Nelly Ft. P.Diddles & Murphey Lee - Shake your Tailfeather

From the Bad Boys 2 Soundtrack.

Cranking up the level of subtlety, I see!

How could I ever top such a compelling study in comparative ornithology? But one has to remember that each one of those lovely ladies is more than just a bird.

And what also is more than just a bird?

That's right, you guessed it! It's Birdplane!

Ha, Axis of Awesome, proving that Australian parody bands are less of a parody than actual Australian bands.

They also do a particular style of rip off that hassles the simple progression of 4-Chord songs, and kind of mess the whole thing up by starting with a song that uses a 5 chord setup.

That song?

Journey - Don't Stop Believing

Sweet! That 4 Chords song is a great hub for a game like this, it probably appears in a lot of really short connections between songs.

This seems like a good time to talk about degrees of separation. The game relies on the so-called "Small World Theory", which says that the world is small. It heavily relies on hubs, which are things connected to a very large number of other people, so that most of the shortest links between two things go through at least one of those hubs.

One of the most famous hubs in the world of cinema is Kevin Bacon: there even is a game called "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" where one has to find the shortest chain of co-starrings between any actor and Kevin Bacon. The number of links in that chain is called the "Bacon number" of that actor.

This is in fact a variant of the "Erdős number", which is the number of links in a chain of co-authorship of scientific papers between someone and the great mathematician Paul Erdős. Someone who has starred in a film and published a scientific paper has an Erdős-Bacon number which is the sum of his Bacon number and his Erdős number.

And here enters music. One of the most prominent hubs in that world is the band Black Sabbath, which led people to define the Sabbath number, and then the Erdős-Bacon-Sabbath number, in a similar way.

Which can only mean one thing: here is Iron Man by Black Sabbath (m-m-m-meta connexion!)

Fun fact: my Erdős number is 4 and my Sabbath number is 6. Now I just have to act in a film and I can die happy.
I love it!

So I was scrolling through the Erdős-Bacon-Sabbath website and stumbled across Brian May, from Queen, and couldn't resist the opportunity to link this:

Fun & Queen - Somebody To Love

where the remaining members of Queen performed with the band Fun at the iHeartRadio music festival.

That guys voice is insanely good for Queen tunes.

I didn't know that video. Beautiful indeed!

Brian May is on that that list because, as many know, he has a PhD in astrophysics (which he started in the 70s and only completed in 2000 ; it seems that he was busy with something else in the meantime).

Also on that list is perhaps the most famous astrophysicist (or rather cosmologist, but it's close enough) of all time - of which he told a brief history: Stephen "the Hawk" Hawking. How best to keep playing, then, than thus:

Pink Floyd feat. Stephen Hawking - Keep Talking.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info