The stunningly attractive blade vortex build

Intro
This build is all about getting the most out of the rapid hit rate of blade vortex. I have focussed on 3 things that can become very powerfull, when you have a high hit rate - Life gain on hit, knockback, and stun.

Blade vortex
Blade vortex is a spell that makes blades orbit around you, and seemingly hit enemies twice every second, no matter your cast speed. These blades have a base duration of 5 seconds, and you can have up to 50 blades active at a time. This of couse makes this skill able to hit ridiculously frequent.

Life gain on hit
This is pretty straight forward. We get two Cybil's paw, and se our life gain go crazy.

Some math:
With 50 blades in the air (This is quite realistic during a boss encounter) you will hit each nearby target 100 times per second. With 16 life per hit, you get 1600 life per second per enemy nearby!

Knockback
This one is pretty funny. If we get a pair of Empire's Grasp, we can pull things to us at a pretty fast rate, making it very hard for enemies to escape. This lets us concentrate on casting blade vortex, and ensures that we contenue to hit things, so that we can get life from Cybil's.

Some more math:
A lvl 10 knockback from Empire's Grasp gives 34% chance to knockback. When clearing trash mobs, I have 15+ blades active at all time, resulting in an average of 2*15*34%=10.2 knockbacks per second.

Stun
This last one might seem a little strange. Stun is supposed to help hard hitters, so how can we bennifit from it, with many weak hits? Well, Warlord's mark gives 15% additional chance to stun. With 30% increased curse effect from the tree, and another 4% from Conqueror's Potency, increases this to 15*(1+34%)=20.1%. This means that any hit, no matter how small, will have a 20% chance to stun (It is very important that we hit 20%, because any chances less than 20% are set to 0%).

Warlord's mark also grants 30% reduced stun recovery. With the 34% increase in curse effect, this hits 40%. With a base stun duration of 0.35 seconds, enemies will be stunned for 0.35/(1-40%)=0.585 seconds. During this time we will hit the enemy 2*n*0.585 times, were n is the number of active blades. We can now calculate the chance of stunning at least once during this time, by Stun_Chance=1-(1-20%)^(2*n*0.585) (If you don't trust me on this, feel free to ask me, I will happily explain why it is endeed true). Lets calculate this chance for a few different values of n:

n: Chance:
5: 72.9%
10: 92.7%
15: 98.0%
20: 99.5%
25: 99.9%

So it difinitely seems like we are going to stun lock enemies when having only 10-15 blades active. Combining this with Empire's Grasp and a quarts flask, we should be able to freely walk around and trap enemies, preventing them from damaging us, and increasing our life gain.

Another bonus is that the tree needed for this, leaves us only one node from getting another cuse, wich can be pretty powerfull as well.

Recomended gear

Passive tree
Last edited by Willemoesium on Dec 20, 2015, 10:47:59 AM
Last bumped on Jun 2, 2016, 6:29:00 AM
hey man really like this! i was trying to theory up something similar myself

few questions..
Do you not get mana issues?
And lacking Dexterity looks like a problem also
Last edited by Lvii on Dec 20, 2015, 4:28:09 PM
Got a video please?
Played this build untill now, really fun!
I ripped against lightning thorns though, any idea what to do against that?
I started with this build
but than i changed some things

my tree
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUAA-4EBwSzCPQLYQ0fFCAWbxhqGjgabB2-H8ckqicvK3gsnC2LMZ4zhzWSNuk6WDrYOuE8BTwoPC09Xz38PydBh0PIRZ1KyEyzTeNPBFBHUlNTUlXGWAdYY1ltW6BfP1-YZlRnm2jyakNtGW6qeC98DnzlgpuCx4Nfg8yD24V7j0aQVZeVl_SaO5rgm6Gcvp2un9-iAKZXpwinVayYrj6vbLXytz686sBUwGbEWMauzzLQH9Wm2L3a3eNq5CLkUevu7DjtPO8O73zv6_Af8kX2SPfX-ej-Cv6P

in lategame maps the damage is just 2 less(i never used the cybils paw // instead some wants with cast speed +18 and spell damage)
so i also stopped using blasphemie and started to use hatred + harold of ash (75 % mana reserved)
But i still wanted the double curse, so i used my 5 l carcass with (blade vortex + curse on hit + wardlords mark + (Vulnerability or enfeeble) + (increased duration / also not necessary).
cast it one or two times is enough

problems i have:
exploding enemys are rly bad
lightning warp totems (torture chamber)
2 many enemys in the blade vortex --> it starts 2 lagg and than i get logged out
Last edited by submersion on Jan 19, 2016, 6:06:41 PM
So I have built 3 different blade vortex Toons now and the main thing I have seen is that all of them are seeming to rely on Crit. So this is me trying to theory craft A different type of blade vortex after looking at yours. I think I will roll into this tonight actually.

My goals with this are
1. Hit all AoE nodes.
2. Hit Dual curse Node
3. Hit all increased duration.
4. Hit mana reduction for blasphemy dual curse.
5. Life and Armor and Es for survival...ev is extra and not on my radar.

this is my idea behind the build
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUBTwRDyFugp1V8DnFNms9DY2jy8B-iAASzwGZFRzwF73yf3zLR6-6nCI9Gm6EYavfXrJg6WFXGg9t0VV8qEQ87De_r0B9Ms5eVUlM9X5f0bRkI9MBUakP60hcvZOdV1oCkFm8kqjbp42rVpu08V5QpT548jHa3Mbzqr2wLYcauDF8cp1OlGNfE9nKpVamXtGoBPC2DX4PMtz7-Cti9NZK18m6qSsg_J1-YWW3PMkGH-eiCxx2-M4cD7hhWHNyPGprgRZ1TUoqvkBGC5HvDGDy9J5M6CGcVuMhbljL-j03jplc64fJFOVJYB2aemjuFMg==

Of course the CWDT/IC for more survival and MoM as well, with the amount of mana Regen this will be putting out Mom is a easy grab, Life wheel in scion is great as well.

I ll be running 1 Cybil's paw and a offhand wand or something at least or maybe 2 Cybil's paw .

Carcass Jack is a must

I really do like your idea with the empires grasp vacuuming up the mobs Might try it a little on my Scion

So...this is my build I am starting tonight....like in 10 min or so..
"
NJLGrimm wrote:
I ll be running 1 Cybil's paw and a offhand wand or something at least or maybe 2 Cybil's paw

Note that Cybil's paw is a claw, and can't be used with a wand in the other hand.
You can only use a shield or other 1 handed weapon.

What would be the support gems for Blade Vortex?
What auras/buffs?

I'm going to play this build using some zombies and Spectres as distraction for ranged monsters
Will this build still work with the warlords mark nerf?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info