Strength Based, Staff Wielding Templar - Need advice

Still pretty darn new to FoE. I heard a few things about a staff wielding, strength based Templar, so I decided to make my Templar based around that. The problem is, I don't know exactly what to do. I did a little searching and found a few useful tips, but upon further investigation, everything that anyone says, is claimed to be ineffective or 'wrong' by someone else. Now I know there are many different ways to build, but what would be a good base?

To elaborate, would I need crit? Or would Resolute Technique be the better way to go? Should I get Blood Magic or get the gem? Should I focus on fire or elemental damage or use that as a secondary?

Any and all advice and tips are welcomed and appreciated.
ignore this post my bad i got double posted for some reason
Last edited by agbudar on Feb 15, 2013, 3:56:38 PM
pro's on staff

its 2 handed and gets 6 slots
it has build in block so it also acts like a shield tempest shield can be used along with this.
base crit of 6.5% where most weapons have 5%
its a hybrid weapon designed by the developers for this class
getting the neccesary int will allow you to get some int skills
my suggestion would be curses like critical weakness meshes in very well with the higher crit rate you get and even better if you go for a crit like build

cons
has lowish damage for a 2 handed
is sort of slow
needs int to wield wich means that you cannot go for a pure str build.
the block rate from staff's is around half of that from a regular shield and the upgrades for this in the tree are limited and cannot really be relied on for actual defence its an added bonus at best.

skills
things like sweep and ground slam have worked for me but lightning strike as well the latter has more range then ground slam also the range of aoe (all these are considered aoe) get boosted by area effect increase which a Templar gets pretty much below lvl 20 if you so choose elemental weapon skills seem to be favored with this weapon though. however never underestimate the power of a well placed sweep.

the passive abilities certainly allow for a crit based staff build look around the tree there is a global crit increase if you wield staffs wich from what i get that everything gets a crit increase also spell like abilities like fireball or freezing pulse.(whenever you would use these) ofc if you use resolute strike it will be the easier choice and it would clear up a lot of tree node choices that being said i am a believer that staff will need the crit and that raw damage is more for axes that being said you can build a more tankier templar with still decent damage output if you get resolute strike.

in my opinion a 2 handed build with str aoe is always viable on a templar i do keep heavy strike for the pure and awesome single target damage works good when you want to kill that yellow/orange boss/mob

a stafff is a balanced out weapon it doesnt particularly shine in any area (except a higher crit base) which is it's strength but at the same time its achilles heel

this comes from someone who has only played this game for a week but i tend to do my homework when it comes to weapon and skill choices

edit
I apologise for the double post my frikkin internet bugged up
2nd edit
btw here is a combo i just thought of
lightning strike >>> tempest shield >>> crit build >>> combined with static shock
Last edited by agbudar on Feb 15, 2013, 4:07:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info